Pet dog relocation - stories (good or bad)

Ryan&Rosie

Hi again,

I'm considering taking my two dogs, a Pug and a Frenchie, back to the UK with us. Both have had airway surgery but that said I am still nervous about the extra risks due to them being bracycephalic.

I was wondering if anyone had any stories, good or bed, or relocating their pets from Australia to UK, or vice versa, please? Just so we can get a better understanding of the process, the experience, etc. The companies I've spoken to have so far offered great information but at the end of the day, they're businesses so I don't know if they're just telling me what I want to hear! It would be great if we could hear the other side of the story :)

Thank you in advance!  

We flew our little one - chihuahua in my avatar- from Perth to UK in 2016. He is a very nervous little thing and never leaves my wife's side. He also has some medical issues, one of which meant he couldnt eat during the trip - normally they are fed in Dubai if travelling Emirates. 

He arrived fine. A bit jet lagged - yes they get it! And hungry, but that was all and settled straight in. In fact he seems to love it here and was playing in the snow last week. 

We used Dogtainers who were excellent. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hello Ryan&Rosie,  we're in a similar situation.  My research has shown that the vast majority of animals doing this long trip cope very well.  Ours are doing the one with the overnight stop in Dubai, after deliberating about "getting it over with" asap and not having a stop, or giving them a stop where they can hopefully rest and have a break from travelling.   A family member did the trip with his 13 year old cat and it went very well.  The only problem with that was the company's driver who took the cat from Heathrow to Gloucestershire was not very nice and complained about the cat miaowing all the way, then threw the cage down when he got there (and yes there were repercussions).  Aside from that it went very well.  I have made personal contact with the sub-company who do the UK driving component, in light of the experience I just relayed and have also researched them.  Nothing adverse so far... All the best with it.  

8 hours ago, Beckfield said:
  • Hello Ryan&Rosie,  we're in a similar situation.  My research has shown that the vast majority of animals doing this long trip cope very well.  Ours are doing the one with the overnight stop in Dubai, after deliberating about "getting it over with" asap and not having a stop, or giving them a stop where they can hopefully rest and have a break from travelling.   A family member did the trip with his 13 year old cat and it went very well.  The only problem with that was the company's driver who took the cat from Heathrow to Gloucestershire was not very nice and complained about the cat miaowing all the way, then threw the cage down when he got there (and yes there were repercussions).  Aside from that it went very well.  I have made personal contact with the sub-company who do the UK driving component, in light of the experience I just relayed and have also researched them.  Nothing adverse so far... All the best with it.  

We came back last March with our then 2 year old Bedlingon Terrier. Despite being a Terrier she is very nervous and is literally at our side 24/7. She was absolutely fine on the journey. We used Dogtainers (Perth) and they were fabulous. She flew very early in the morning and they came to our house to pick her up. 

I believe that animals have to have a stop over of at least 7 hours in Dubai (or wherever) as a comfort break. She actually had a bit longer there. I even contacted the animal centre and spoke to someone who immediately went away to find out about her and called me back to let me know how she was. We flew into Manchester and she was ready 90 minutes after we landed. However, I believe last April the rules changed and they now take longer to clear customs but your chosen company will let you know about that. Good luck.