Wondered if anyone had any thoughts/experience on how long it may take to get an invite for a 189 visa as an accountant (general), code 221111. We have 75 points and lodged our EOI a few days ago. 

A friend submitted his 11 months ago (late january 2017)for the same occupation and same number of points and he was invited on the first round post submitting his EOI. (Very lucky!!)

However from what I've looked at recently on skill select there seems to be a few months months wait on 75pointers for accountants despite the doubling of accountants being invited this year?

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

I believe it is a capped occupation so it may have reached its cap by now - it often does by this time of year. If it has, then it would be July. You can check at border.gov.au

If its already capped I guess this will continue to happen for the next FY. Thoughts please?

Accountant is a pro rata occupation, meaning they limit the number of invitations each round to ensure it doesn't reach the cap too early.  Usually the pro rata occupations reach their caps around May or early June.

From what I've read, 75 points still takes a few rounds to receive an invitation but shouldn't be too long a way.  70 points will sit for an indefinite period until they eventually exhaust any more recent 75+ point EOIs.

• Like 1

The EOI year starts 1 July every year. So usually for Pro Rata roles like accounting there is a back log the first few invite rounds. So from July-Sep only 80 and 75 points gets invited and then by Jan the backlog is cleared and 70s get invited.

That was the case for Jan 2017 people with 70 points were being invited but this meant that by March the pro rata was finished, and then in July 2017 there was a big back log. So for 2017/2018 DIBP decided that they will spread the invites out throughout the year so that pro rata would be invited for full year just fewer at a time. 

What this means is that people on 70 points pretty much have no chance this year, and 75 points are looking at at least 3 months at this point.

If you look at the skill select web site you will see that the date of effect for 75 points is now at 18 October, meaning anyone after 18 Oct is now in a queue. Every two weeks when there is an invite this Date of effect moves forward by about 12 days (this changes depending on how many accountants get invited, but is around 12 days for 700 invites)

If the date of effect moves forward +/- 12 days each Skillselect draw, it is roughly 7 draws to reach your Jan 2018 date of effect, so about 14 weeks. Probably more as there is a back log at the moment and last draw only took 300 invites. So we would need to see how many days it moves forward from 18 Oct.

The best way to work it out is to check the how many days the date of effect moves forward after each draw. The last draw for example they only took 300 people and only a very few accountants, so 80 was the limit then and date of effect for 75 didn't move forward at all.

If you can get 5 more points to 80 you a very likely to get in on the next draw, maximum two draws.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 16/01/2018 at 08:33, Mikeee said:

Will you lose the 5 points if it expires?

Your points can change while EOI has been submitted, so if a professional year can expire during that time then you can lose points. Same with age etc. 

But as far as I know once you receive an Invite your EOI is "locked" at that date, so you can't lose points for changing age etc, not sure about professional year, I assume it will be the same

Edited by lothar