Time to migrate to Adelaide - Please Help!!

KPG

Hi Guys,

Well by God's grace things seem to be progressing well and hopefully if we clear our Health Check then we seem to inch closer in acquiring a 489 Visa :D and considering it would take 5 to 6 months i.e. May - June we should have our visa in our hand. If things go as per plan then we intend doing our landing in Sept - Oct 2018 but I have many queries on how to go about it? 

We are a family of 4 (2 children aged 9 and 4)

• which suburb in Adelaide do we decide to live in and what should be the criteria while choosing a suburb ? (close proximity to the city, schools, public transport etc)
  • considering that there wont be any income when we reach, what is the monthly outgoing should we expect? We plan to rent  2 bedroom apartment / house.
  • can my children get admissions in a government school? ( i know it wont be free as I am on a 489 visa) and what would the fee structure be like? (Grade 6 and Grade 1)
  • what is the best way to scout for jobs? appreciate if anyone can share a template of CV's that are normally followed.
  • are rental properties normally furnished or unfurnished? 
  • can we get a short term rental where we can be flexible to move out once we decide on the suburb we want to live in?

I would also appreciate any additional info that you think can be useful, like from your own experiences, lessons learnt, do's and don'ts etc.

Thank you.

KPG 

• Like 2

Ok, start with the job application, that’s going to be the fundamental first step. Where you live then sort of flows from that. Wait until you have a job and know where you will be living before you enrol the kids. All depends on the job as to what the application format might be. You might approach an agency.

Your children can enrol in government schools - no fees other than those every Aussie pays. Schools usually follow from your abode with schools having priority enrolment areas where they must provide a place for a child living within the area. They usually ask to see contracts of lease but aren’t keen to enrol kids with a holiday accommodation address.

Unfurnished rentals are more common than furnished but if you want really short term eg 2 months then you can get holiday lets which are generally furnished.

The usual advice for anyone arriving without a job is to plan to spend 6 months looking so if you consider that the average salary is around $70k then budget for $35k just to get by (just in case) plus establishment costs such as bonds, insurances, vehicles, school costs, basic stocks, etc

Things start closing down around the end October through until Feb when they crank up again employment wise. 

• Like 3

Hi @Quoll and thank you for taking the time to pen down the details, appreciate it.

12 hours ago, Quoll said:

Your children can enrol in government schools - no fees other than those every Aussie pays.

I am not sure if this would be applicable to be as i am on a 489 visa, would you know more about this?

12 hours ago, Quoll said:

Things start closing down around the end October through until Feb when they crank up again employment wise. 

When does the academic year get over and when does a new one begin? Is it a good idea to arrive in the month of Sept?

Thank you once again.

Only 457 visa holders pay additional fees for schools.  As a 489 you will pay the same as a PR or Citizen.  No schools are entirely free here though, all have admin, equipment and other fees.  There is financial help available but I don’t think you would be able to get that as a new provisional visa holder.  Each school website will have details of any fees.

13 minutes ago, Jessica Berry said:

What work will you be looking for?

Hi @Jessica Berry well I really cannot be very choosy at the beginning as I would like the cash flow coming in to at-least sustain our daily needs but having said that I would be on the look out for:

Supply chain related jobs. i.e. Procurement / Sourcing

Project Maangement

Business / Office Management

Inventory Management

Can fit into Customer related services as well. 

Please do keep me in mind if you know of any openings.

Thank you.

KPG

Re Adelaide, not all schools are zoned. In fact most primary schools are not. It’s only the zoned schools will require proof of lease or some such. However, if you opt to go for a state school a ways away from where you are living they are obliged to point you are the schools nearer to your home.

All state high schools bar one or two are zoned however. 

3 hours ago, KPG said:

Hi @Quoll and thank you for taking the time to pen down the details, appreciate it.

I am not sure if this would be applicable to be as i am on a 489 visa, would you know more about this?

When does the academic year get over and when does a new one begin? Is it a good idea to arrive in the month of Sept?

Thank you once again.

School year goes end Jan to mid December.  Doesnt matter when you arrive, kids move and start school anytime.

Don't have any real advice - other than to say we wish you all the best and good luck, SA is a wonderful place.:)

We will hopefully be moving to Adelaide later this year or in 2019 - we have had a long slog, lots of soul searching, wrenching, ill parents, two reccee's and a third coming up in a few weeks (and as much to validate our visas, as I do not really think we will learn too much more than we already know) but will get there.

On 03/01/2018 at 23:37, KPG said:

Hi Guys,

Well by God's grace things seem to be progressing well and hopefully if we clear our Health Check then we seem to inch closer in acquiring a 489 Visa :D and considering it would take 5 to 6 months i.e. May - June we should have our visa in our hand. If things go as per plan then we intend doing our landing in Sept - Oct 2018 but I have many queries on how to go about it? 

We are a family of 4 (2 children aged 9 and 4)

• which suburb in Adelaide do we decide to live in and what should be the criteria while choosing a suburb ? (close proximity to the city, schools, public transport etc)
  • considering that there wont be any income when we reach, what is the monthly outgoing should we expect? We plan to rent  2 bedroom apartment / house.
  • can my children get admissions in a government school? ( i know it wont be free as I am on a 489 visa) and what would the fee structure be like? (Grade 6 and Grade 1)
  • what is the best way to scout for jobs? appreciate if anyone can share a template of CV's that are normally followed.
  • are rental properties normally furnished or unfurnished? 
  • can we get a short term rental where we can be flexible to move out once we decide on the suburb we want to live in?

I would also appreciate any additional info that you think can be useful, like from your own experiences, lessons learnt, do's and don'ts etc.

Thank you.

KPG 

Hi KPG,

We've been in Adelaide on a 489 visa for 15 months now. We moved with a 6 month baby.... having no family here to help was a shock to the system! 

We started off in a holiday home for the first 2 months in Port Noarlunga. As we had no idea about renting here. We found it easy to get our rental here, all you need ID paperwork and copies of utility bills from the uk. We didn't have references as we're home owners in the uk. We pay $300 per week in rent for 3 bed, 2 min walk to the beach, but we got a good deal there. We put $100 away weekly for gas and electricity. 

one of the things myself and hubby regret is not getting a container and bringing EVERYTHING thing over, even the tin opener. Starting from scratch is such a head ache and can be expensive.

The things we found out once we got here is that on a 489 visa you don't get any help with childcare fees/rebate and will have to pay full fees. You get Medicare if you're from uk as there's a reciprocal agreement between the 2 countries. You will need to get ambulance cover as if you call for one it'll cost you about $900. We've not bothered with private healthcare, and we're with a bulk billing gp in Seaford.

Schools -  your kids can go either state or private. My sons only 20 months now, I'm looking at getting him on the waiting list for a private school in Christies Beach called St. John the apostle. Depending on how much your annual income is you may be able to apply for a 'school card' for reduced fees. We don't get this as my husband earns over the limit.

On the job front, my husbands a mechanic and got a job after 5 days of being here. We just handed his cv out. I've not been so lucky..... I'm a qualified HR Advisor who managed a recruitment team, I thought I'd get snapped up, with all my qualifications and experience. But to be honest, im actually enjoying the time off raising my son, we do so many outdoor activities, there's so much for kids here. Things are tight financially with one wage but we're managing and still having a good life here. 

I hope if managed to answer some of your questions. I'm no expert, just learning as we go along. Good luck!!

• Like 6

On 1/5/2018 at 03:32, SteveandKirsty said:

Don't have any real advice - other than to say we wish you all the best and good luck, SA is a wonderful place.:)

Thanks a lot @SteveandKirsty we definitely need that! 

We will hopefully be moving to Adelaide later this year or in 2019

All the best to you guys as well, hope to meet you some day in Adelaide :)

we have had a long slog, lots of soul searching, wrenching, ill parents, two reccee's and a third coming up in a few weeks (and as much to validate our visas, as I do not really think we will learn too much more than we already know) but will get there.

Every cloud has a silver lining, I wish you guys all the strength to overcome all the challenges that come your way. God Bless!

• Like 1

@Csully23 thank you for taking the effort and giving all the info you could. 

On 1/5/2018 at 16:15, Csully23 said:

You get Medicare if you're from uk as there's a reciprocal agreement between the 2 countries.

I am not from UK so I guess I would need to take Medicare for the entire family. Would you know how much would the approximate cost be?

I'm a qualified HR Advisor who managed a recruitment team, I thought I'd get snapped up, with all my qualifications and experience.

All the best with your job hunt.

The things we found out once we got here is that on a 489 visa you don't get any help with childcare fees/rebate and will have to pay full fees.

What about education / school fees on a 489? My daughter is 9 and my son is 4.

Thank you once again.

Cheers!

On 1/4/2018 at 12:03, snifter said:

Re Adelaide, not all schools are zoned. In fact most primary schools are not. It’s only the zoned schools will require proof of lease or some such. However, if you opt to go for a state school a ways away from where you are living they are obliged to point you are the schools nearer to your home.

All state high schools bar one or two are zoned however. 

thank you @snifter

16 hours ago, KPG said:

@Csully23 thank you for taking the effort and giving all the info you could. 

I am not from UK so I guess I would need to take Medicare for the entire family. Would you know how much would the approximate cost be?

All the best with your job hunt.

What about education / school fees on a 489? My daughter is 9 and my son is 4.

Thank you once again.

Cheers!

Medicare : when we went to our 'new arrival meeting' you should be invited to one once you arrived. They said people on a 489 and not from uk are not entitled to Medicare and will need private health insurance. I'm not sure on the costs. 

You'll need to check with the school on the fees. You'll pay the price that everyone pays. The prices are on the schools websites. Depending on when your son turned 4, he'll start off at kindy, again there's private and public. 

You are not on a 457. That is the temp visa where people need to pay full school fees. https://www.decd.sa.gov.au/parenting-and-child-care/your-childs-education/457-visa-holders/public-education-student-contribution-fee-457-visa-holders

You are on a 489 and afaik liable for the general fees same as everyone else. Our primary is about $400 or so a year per child. This covers materials, services etc. You need to check with the schools you are interested in as to what they charge exactly. Our first school charged a bit less (not as good with poorer facilities and charged the minimum). Lots of schools, especially those in in demand areas and the like will charge a bit more (usually as they offer more than the standard set up facilities IYKWIM). 

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/education-and-learning/schools/choosing-a-school/enrolling-in-primary-school

Suggest you have a read of all that there :)

Medicare : when we went to our 'new arrival meeting' you should be invited to one once you arrived. They said people on a 489 and not from uk are not entitled to Medicare and will need private health insurance. I'm not sure on the costs. 
You'll need to check with the school on the fees. You'll pay the price that everyone pays. The prices are on the schools websites. Depending on when your son turned 4, he'll start off at kindy, again there's private and public. 

Thank you.

You are not on a 457. That is the temp visa where people need to pay full school fees. https://www.decd.sa.gov.au/parenting-and-child-care/your-childs-education/457-visa-holders/public-education-student-contribution-fee-457-visa-holders
You are on a 489 and afaik liable for the general fees same as everyone else. Our primary is about $400 or so a year per child. This covers materials, services etc. You need to check with the schools you are interested in as to what they charge exactly. Our first school charged a bit less (not as good with poorer facilities and charged the minimum). Lots of schools, especially those in in demand areas and the like will charge a bit more (usually as they offer more than the standard set up facilities IYKWIM). 
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/education-and-learning/schools/choosing-a-school/enrolling-in-primary-school
Suggest you have a read of all that there [emoji4]

@snifter thank you. Your info is very useful and you are always prompt.

Thank you once again.

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone got Visa Grant recently and if so then how long did it take? My application was submitted on 23rd Dec but I have been told that there would be no progress till mid Jan as it was the holiday season, so does that mean I may have lost out on a month?

Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, Sutu said:

Hi everyone 

My family  and I are looking  to move to Adelaide  and we are having  a problem getting  a house.  Any help will  be  deeply appreciated.  Thank you 

If you are not actually there then chances are most letting l agents are not going to want to know. Not when they have locals available to inspect and sign leases.

You may need to book a short term holiday type rental for a few weeks and then look for something longer term once there. Tbh this is the most common sense approach for no end of reasons.

2 hours ago, Sutu said:

Hi everyone 

My family  and I are looking  to move to Adelaide  and we are having  a problem getting  a house.  Any help will  be  deeply appreciated.  Thank you 

Its quite common to not be able to secure anything until your here ,hence most people book a holiday let/ short term furnished accommodation for their first 3 to 4 weeks. Agents want you to be here to inspect properties and its wise to do it this way as some homes are not what the pictures on the internet show.

Cal x

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sutu said:

As others have said, you won't be able to rent a house before you arrive because landlords want you to inspect the property, so there are no arguments later.   Even if you were allowed to sign a lease from a distance, it would be unwise because photos on the internet can be very misleading. Wouldn't it be awful to sign a 6 or 12 month lease and then arrive to find it's a dump?

Book a holiday flat or AirBnB for a month

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

As others have said, you won't be able to rent a house before you arrive because landlords want you to inspect the property, so there are no arguments later.   Even if you were allowed to sign a lease from a distance, it would be unwise because photos on the internet can be very misleading. Wouldn't it be awful to sign a 6 or 12 month lease and then arrive to find it's a dump?

Book a holiday flat or AirBnB for a month

Absolutely!

• 4 weeks later...

Suggestions please from what you have experienced what would the best option be, i.e. shipping home appliances  and furniture or buying new one from Adelaide? I am more concerned about the appliances and wonder what the custom fee would be to import used furniture, home appliances etc.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.