Torn on Tassie

escape2oz

On 04/01/2018 at 12:00, Toots said:

I think anyone who is thinking of moving to Hobart and renting a house needs to be aware that rental vacancies in Hobart are now the lowest ever recorded in any Australian capital city.  Rents have increased by 23% in Hobart over the past year and the city's vacancy rate of below 0.4% is more than four times tighter than any city on the mainland.  I certainly don't mean to put a dampener on anyone thinking of moving and renting but better to be forewarned.

This is disturbing to hear. I haven't looked too deeply into rental prices yet, but I did notice that house prices seemed to be dramatically higher than last time I checked a couple of years ago. I did a bit of online digging and sure enough Hobart is in the midst of a property boom! Just our luck :-( We will now struggle to find something nice we can afford. For example, a couple of years ago if I remember correctly you could get a solid 4x2 family home in Howrah for $300,000 to $4000,000. Now it's more like $450,00+! Same story in Kingston.

Are there any good value suburb not too far from the CBD that are safe and pleasant for a young family? I've read about Glenorchy and its surrounds, but I'm not overly keen. 

The shortage of cheaper houses in nicer areas of Hobart has lead me to look more closely at Launceston where the situation seems to be much better. You can pick up a really nice family home with decent size block in Riverside for $350,000. This is a lot more reasonable, but for me the downsides are less work opportunities in my industry (media/communications/public relations) and not being on the coast.

What do you reckon? Keen to get your insight....

We lived in Tassie for a while, in the North West.  It is the most beautiful place , quite stunning and the weather is ok though a bit cool at times. It is slow paced living though, more like country living than city- not a huge number of things to do if you like a bit of nightlife, concerts etc. I also think its a bit of a man's world which is a little hard to explain, just my feeling. What used to annoy me is that the Big Island seems to get the best of everything- all the good local fruit and vegs gets shipped up there and we used to be left with the 2nd rate stuff.

On 05/01/2018 at 22:05, Bound4Tassie said:

We are on the NW coast in Port Sorell. We love it!  Although I think we would've liked Kingston / Blackmans Bay and all Hobart has to offer too. We just went with wherever I was offered work first.... plus husbands family are on this coast too. ☺

Eta ... I think Trevallyn in Launceston looks like nice place to live too.

I've actually been looking at the N W Coast. There was a job I was interested in in Burnie, but I didn't apply as we're expecting our third child at the end of the month so the timing's off.

I've heard that Port Sorell is nice, and I've read that Wynyard and Ulverstone are also lovely. What would be your pick between Devonport and Burnie? They sound very similar from what I can tell online, but no doubt they're different in real life!

How do you find the pace of life on the northern coast? How are the people/sense of community? What's the weather like?

On 10/01/2018 at 12:37, CaptainR said:

Not quite sure what its like to live in Tasmania, but love visiting Tassie. I've been to Launceston twice in the last few years for courses at the Maritime College and will be going again later in the year with the family (I took my wife on a previous visit) and will go exploring for a few days afterwards. In the winter it feels very much like rural England. 

Yes, Launceston in particular struck me as very British in character. I was only there for a very brief time though. No doubt the difference emerge the more you get to know it.

People say Tassie is cold and wet, but in my experience that's usually Aussies who think anything less than 18C is blizzard conditions! We miss having proper seasons where we live in Townsville at the moment. We've been in northern Australia for three years and are sick of the heat and humidity to be honest. 

And Tassie in summer is pretty much perfect. 

12 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

We lived in Tassie for a while, in the North West.  It is the most beautiful place , quite stunning and the weather is ok though a bit cool at times. It is slow paced living though, more like country living than city- not a huge number of things to do if you like a bit of nightlife, concerts etc. I also think its a bit of a man's world which is a little hard to explain, just my feeling. What used to annoy me is that the Big Island seems to get the best of everything- all the good local fruit and vegs gets shipped up there and we used to be left with the 2nd rate stuff.

This is interesting to know. I'm OK with seconds as long as they charge appropriately! I suspect not though ;-)

Not really into the city scene. Got young children and would rather they grew up in nature and fresh air - at least until they are teenagers and want a bit more action. 

Thanks for sharing your insight...what would be your pick of small coastal towns on the north coast that are commutable for work in either Burnie or Devonport?

Edited by escape2oz

52 minutes ago, escape2oz said:

This is interesting to know. I'm OK with seconds as long as they charge appropriately! I suspect not though ;-)

Not really into the city scene. Got young children and would rather they grew up in nature and fresh air - at least until they are teenagers and want a bit more action. 

Thanks for sharing your insight...what would be your pick of small coastal towns on the north coast that are commutable for work in either Burnie or Devonport?

We retired to Devonport and enjoy life here very much.  Devonport is rather a spread out sort of town with a population of 25,000.  I would choose carefully where you live.  East Devonport has a bit of a bad rep for various reasons and there are a lot of new housing developments happening all around the town.  We live in an older established area one block back from the river and a walk to the ocean.  Another member of this forum Bound4Tassie has just moved from the UK to Port Sorrell and really likes the town.  Perhaps she will be along soon to tell you more.  I believe she commutes from Port Sorrell to Latrobe and I think Burnie for work.

As far as the weather is concerned, the north west coast has warm, dry summers and wetter winters with a lot of wind off the sea and the mountains - also a lot of sunny days with frosty  mornings.

Edited by Toots

11 hours ago, escape2oz said:

People say Tassie is cold and wet, but in my experience that's usually Aussies who think anything less than 18C is blizzard conditions!

Yes, that always makes me laugh.  Devonport's  average maximum temperatures are around 3 - 5 C higher than Jersey's (which, I believe, is the warmest place in the UK) with about the same rainfall.  Launceston and Hobart maxima are higher than Devonport's in summer ....and even drier.  Hobart is the second driest capital city in Oz after Adelaide.  It has about half the rainfall of Sydney and a third that of Brisbane.

I love the changing seasons too and, IMHO, this is an ideal climate for normal working and living in.  It's very rarely too hot, too cold or too wet to interfere with daily activities.

11 hours ago, escape2oz said:

We certainly don't have a problem with second quality produce  here down south.  I suspect it might have changed up north too since starlight lived there.   Plenty of farmers' markets (and roadside selling) where you can buy quality fresh produce direct from the grower and also smaller local stores selling better quality (and often cheaper) fresh fruit and vegetables than Coles or Woolies.

I lived on the north west coast for 9 years  - in the 1980s so my views may be a bit dated - but Devonport,  Ulverstone  or Penguin or thereabouts would be my pick if I went back there.   

Edited by Skani

On Thursday, February 01, 2018 at 22:15, escape2oz said:

I've actually been looking at the N W Coast. There was a job I was interested in in Burnie, but I didn't apply as we're expecting our third child at the end of the month so the timing's off.

I've heard that Port Sorell is nice, and I've read that Wynyard and Ulverstone are also lovely. What would be your pick between Devonport and Burnie? They sound very similar from what I can tell online, but no doubt they're different in real life!

How do you find the pace of life on the northern coast? How are the people/sense of community? What's the weather like?

We're really enjoying family life on the NW coast.  We live in Port Sorell and I commute Burnie 3 days a week. ...takes me about 45-50mins but it's an easy highway drive with coastal views!  We could have lived somewhere closer eg Ulverstone or Penguin. Nice enough towns. Close enough to Burnie or Devonport  for shopping / cinema/ entertainment  etc But we moved over from the UK and wanted to live at Port Sorell/ Hawley Beach. It's so beautiful/ chilled out. I didn't want to settle for 2nd best ( in my view) having moved all this way. The primary school here is lovely. Modern but relaxed /play based ethos in early years.

Occasionally I get the feeling that this coast is a little  parochial...a bit Hicksville ( maybe that's just the love of Rodeos here which I can't stand!!)...I get the feeling Hobart would have more open minded people ....but then I remind myself that it's not everyone and you just have to surround yourself by more like minded folk! 

It's still lovely up here and it was the right choice for us. 

As for the veg....it's delicious here. I've certainly not seen/tasted any 2nd rate veg! 

Best of luck with the arrival of your 3rd baby. My 3rd turns 1 at the end of the month :) 

12 hours ago, Bound4Tassie said:

We're really enjoying family life on the NW coast.  We live in Port Sorell and I commute Burnie 3 days a week. ...takes me about 45-50mins but it's an easy highway drive with coastal views!  We could have lived somewhere closer eg Ulverstone or Penguin. Nice enough towns. Close enough to Burnie or Devonport  for shopping / cinema/ entertainment  etc But we moved over from the UK and wanted to live at Port Sorell/ Hawley Beach. It's so beautiful/ chilled out. I didn't want to settle for 2nd best ( in my view) having moved all this way. The primary school here is lovely. Modern but relaxed /play based ethos in early years.

Occasionally I get the feeling that this coast is a little  parochial...a bit Hicksville ( maybe that's just the love of Rodeos here which I can't stand!!)...I get the feeling Hobart would have more open minded people ....but then I remind myself that it's not everyone and you just have to surround yourself by more like minded folk! 

It's still lovely up here and it was the right choice for us. 

As for the veg....it's delicious here. I've certainly not seen/tasted any 2nd rate veg! 

Best of luck with the arrival of your 3rd baby. My 3rd turns 1 at the end of the month :) 

Many of the small towns dotted around are a little parochial.  Like you, I wouldn't set foot near a rodeo but the young farming types seem to enjoy them.  Yes, once you get to know like minded people you can more or less ignore the hicks.  :P  Can hardly believe your baby is nearly a year old already!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/01/2018 at 13:08, can1983 said:

Mercury relies massively on real estate advertising doesn't it, and they want to incite panic! I've heard them saying Hobart is the countries least affordable city! and average house prices are barely 20% of that in Sydney

Just listening to the news.  Some people on lower wages are struggling to find rentals.  Some of them are camping in tents and caravans on Hobart show ground.  It seems to be a real problem for people on lower wages.  Not everyone can afford the inflated rents.

14 hours ago, Toots said:

Just listening to the news.  Some people on lower wages are struggling to find rentals.  Some of them are camping in tents and caravans on Hobart show ground.  It seems to be a real problem for people on lower wages.  Not everyone can afford the inflated rents.

I heard that made up rubbish too. Some real estate idiot saying there weren't enough houses to go around so people were forced to sleep rough. at least they have a sea view I suppose ;)

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, can1983 said:

I heard that made up rubbish too. Some real estate idiot saying there weren't enough houses to go around so people were forced to sleep rough. at least they have a sea view I suppose ;)

In no way is it made up....it's been a growing problem for the last couple of years. There are no sea views at the Hobart Show Ground .   It's an appalling indictment of our so called affluent society that there are now kids going to school from tents and doing their homework in a livestock hall in a showground.

Several years ago there were over 3000 people on the Housing Department's list waiting for basic housing.  Then there was an explosion in the number of international students at the University with no commensurate provision of accommodation by the University.  Many have wealthy parents who can pay 6 or 12 months rental  up front so they are given preference over local working families who can't afford to do that.  Then Hobart was discovered by Airbnb.  There are now about 800 Airbnb properties in the Hobart area....many of them bought by investors for Airbnb...so no longer available as permanent homes.   This is forcing up both rental and sale prices.  Vacancy rates in Hobart are now the lowest in the country and rentals the highest relative to average incomes.    

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Skani said:

In no way is it made up....it's been a growing problem for the last couple of years. There are no sea views at the Hobart Show Ground .   It's an appalling indictment of our so called affluent society that there are now kids going to school from tents and doing their homework in a livestock hall in a showground.

Several years ago there were over 3000 people on the Housing Department's list waiting for basic housing.  Then there was an explosion in the number of international students at the University with no commensurate provision of accommodation by the University.  Many have wealthy parents who can pay 6 or 12 months rental  up front so they are given preference over local working families who can't afford to do that.  Then Hobart was discovered by Airbnb.  There are now about 800 Airbnb properties in the Hobart area....many of them bought by investors for Airbnb...so no longer available as permanent homes.   This is forcing up both rental and sale prices.  Vacancy rates in Hobart are now the lowest in the country and rentals the highest relative to average incomes.    

Some people have no idea how the other half live.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Toots said:

Some people have no idea how the other half live.  

That's it.  My daughter is currently paying 60% of her income for a tiny 2 bedroom place.  She's been on enforced sick leave for a while so hopefully she will return to a higher income soon.  But for someone with a chronic or serious illness, that would not be an option.

• Like 1

sorry but no amount of complaining will change the situation. Mainland capital cities are so much more difficult than anything in Tassie and always will be. Remember Huonville is only 45 mins from Hobart. That's half the average commute in Melbourne and its relatively cheap.

Airbnb is EVERYWHERE, its made changes in lots of areas, the east coast is full of them too.

you just have to live with the situation. Those people in tents could relocate to other parts of Tassie where vacancy rates are high and rents lower.

the mercury would have you believe its like the Calais refugee camp its one bloke in a tent 

Edited by can1983

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

Those people in tents could relocate to other parts of Tassie where vacancy rates are high and rents lower....

the mercury would have you believe its like the Calais refugee camp its one bloke in a tent 

It's not one bloke in a tent - it's multiple families in tents and it has been happening for months (and not just at the showgrounds).     Some of them are working families...so, if they move, they lose their job.   Anywhere else in Tasmania has higher unemployment, so their chances of getting another job are less.    If they lose their job because they moved  they are penalised by Centrelink while waiting to find another job.  If they are already on Centrelink benefits they are also penalised for moving to an area of higher unemployment.   That's how the system works - I know because I worked in it.

It's not even about muliple people in tents.    It's people couch surfing with friends and family.  It's families separated because there is no room for them to stay with one relative so they are split up and "shared" amongst rellies.  It's students having to discontinue their uni degrees here because they can't find accommodation   (after the state/university spends thousands of dollars attracting them here in the first place - how ridiculous is that?).

Remember Huonville is only 45 mins from Hobart. That's half the average commute in Melbourne and its relatively cheap.

There is not one house listed for rent in Huonville on the 2 major rental real estate sites.   There are some further out but all but one start around $400 pw.  Plus you either need a reliable car  and can afford the petrol or you are paying $20 a day for the bus.   Those struggling to pay rent in Hobart aren't likely to have the resources to afford that either, especially if  working casual or odd hours.

And  It's not automatically easier to find rentals in other areas either.  A PIOer who recently moved to the northwest coast (with a professional job arranged before she arrived) had problems....and finally found one only through personal contacts of the (local) inlaws.

Yes Airbnb is everywhere.  And that's why many great tourist destinations have already legislated to limit its impact on their communities.

sorry but no amount of complaining will change the situation.....you just have to live with the situation. 

A bit to learn about Tasmania, I see.  ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

It's not one bloke in a tent - it's multiple families in tents and it has been happening for months (and not just at the showgrounds).     Some of them are working families...so, if they move, they lose their job.   Anywhere else in Tasmania has higher unemployment, so their chances of getting another job are less.    If they lose their job because they moved  they are penalised by Centrelink while waiting to find another job.  If they are already on Centrelink benefits they are also penalised for moving to an area of higher unemployment.   That's how the system works - I know because I worked in it.

It's not even about muliple people in tents.    It's people couch surfing with friends and family.  It's families separated because there is no room for them to stay with one relative so they are split up and "shared" amongst rellies.  It's students having to discontinue their uni degrees here because they can't find accommodation   (after the state/university spends thousands of dollars attracting them here in the first place - how ridiculous is that?).

There is not one house listed for rent in Huonville on the 2 major rental real estate sites.   There are some further out but all but one start around $400 pw.  Plus you either need a reliable car  and can afford the petrol or you are paying $20 a day for the bus.   Those struggling to pay rent in Hobart aren't likely to have the resources to afford that either, especially if  working casual or odd hours.

And  It's not automatically easier to find rentals in other areas either.  A PIOer who recently moved to the northwest coast (with a professional job arranged before she arrived) had problems....and finally found one only through personal contacts of the (local) inlaws.

Yes Airbnb is everywhere.  And that's why many great tourist destinations have already legislated to limit its impact on their communities.

A bit to learn about Tasmania, I see.  ;)

..................................  and also thinks the ABC news is telling us porkies.  :cool:

14 hours ago, Toots said:

..................................  and also thinks the ABC news is telling us porkies.  :cool:

In the UK I had to live in a room in a shared house for 12 years despite having gone to uni and having a good career.

At least I got my degree for GBP1000 a year tuition fees now its best part of 10 time that

the reality is life is getting worse for each generation after another nothing will change that

At least in Tassie many (not all) mid twenties couples are able to buy, particularly outside of Hobart

Affordable, secure shelter for every one is a basic human right regardless of income.    It can be achieved if a government has sufficient will to do it....  Just because things are worse in other places doesn't make it inevitable everywhere.  Good to see that 2 of the 12 families in tents at the showgrounds were found housing yesterday....hope that trend continues.    Also a Facebook group for those dealing with the problem and those wanting to support was started on Monday and already has over 1000 members.   At least the government has been embarrassed into calling a summit of all groups involved in housing.  It's not as though it hasn't been done before:  7000 people became homeless in southern Tasmania  in a few hours in the 1967 bushfires so this should be a walk in the park compared to that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We lived in Ballarat for 20 odd years and I hated it.  It's population has escalated considerably since we left but I was there l2 months

ago and still was glad we'd moved away.  Saying that my daughter loves it and is breaking her neck to get back    The schools had a good but can't comment on  that now after so many years.  It's very old fashioned place but around the lake is lovely and offers good cycle paths and walking.

Do your research and look at whether there's a drug problem.   Depending on your budget there's some gorgeous Victorian houses in the town itself.  Mt Helen as a rural feel but is only minutes away from the town.  

27 minutes ago, libbye said:

We lived in Ballarat for 20 odd years and I hated it.  It's population has escalated considerably since we left but I was there l2 months

ago and still was glad we'd moved away.  Saying that my daughter loves it and is breaking her neck to get back    The schools had a good but can't comment on  that now after so many years.  It's very old fashioned place but around the lake is lovely and offers good cycle paths and walking.

Do your research and look at whether there's a drug problem.   Depending on your budget there's some gorgeous Victorian houses in the town itself.  Mt Helen as a rural feel but is only minutes away from the town.  

My oh is tempted by a move to Ballarat.  We like it when we visit, it seems like there's enough going on to keep us interested, and it's close enough to pop down to Melbourne when we want. But of course a day trip doesn't tell us much.

So, I'm curious what you didn't like about it?

• Like 1

Ballarat is not a bad place and the surrounding countryside if beautiful.  There used to be a lavender farm but am not sure if it's still going.  Well

worth a visit if it is.  They do have a problem with drugs as do other large towns but if you want to investigate further perhaps google and find

out for yourselves.  Not a deal breaker but something you should be aware of if you have children.  It's life today so I guess it's a question of being

vigilant wherever you are.  It has changed a little since we were there and new houses in abundance.  If you want to live further out there are some

gorgeous properties at a price.  I can only speak for myself and what I felt about the place and it's people.  What you see and your needs would be

completely different to mine so I feel somewhat reticent to air my views here.  They are personal and only based on what I experienced.  I wouldn't

want to deter anyone from doing something they feel is right for them but a holiday experience and actually living there is totally different.  Go with

your gut feeling . You will know..:D

• Like 2