Chef for 189/190?

DukeNinja

@DukeNinja my husband initially started the application as a Chef (189 visa) and due to lack of evidence during the skills assessment, we changed it to Cook which then changed our visa option to 190 state sponsorship.

1. Firstly he got assessed by an agent to see if he would potentially qualify for a visa. 

2. We both had to do an English test.

3. The agent assisted and applied for a skills assessment at Victoria university. This was a very lengthy and hard part. You need work references with the exact duties, position held, hours worked and rate of pay on a letter head. First aid certificate, food handling certificate, hospitality diploma etc. 

4. Vic uni came back with a list of demands like videos or photos where hubby prepares dishes, cakes, bread, soup and the list goes on. Then he needed to provide evidence of stock control, fridge temp control, cleaning schedules, HR and budgeting. They asked him to prepare a buffet menu for 500 people with 3 different meats, 3 different salads, 3 different desserts. He had to do food costing. And the list goes on. We ended up doing videos this took us about a month to gather and do. 

5. Since he couldn't provide document evidence of him managing people i.e. Like a performance appraisal and he never planned a budget he basically was always given a budget to work with and planned his menu accordingly, the assessor then suggested we change to Cook. We accepted and he was invited for a technical interview. He can't really remember much of that because of nerves, but he mentioned the guy asking him about sauces ect. The interview was done at an immigration agent (not ours) offices in London via Skype. He had to give all original documents submitted to this agent as well for scanning and emailing it to Vic uni, I guess for verification in person. 2 weeks later he got a successful assessment and was issued with a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery. 

6. The agent submitted the English test results and skills assessment outcome for an EOI 190 Victoria state sponsorship. We waited exactly 12 weeks and got our nomination and ITA on the same day. 

7. We submitted our visa application on 4 Dec, submitted medicals and PCC. Now we are hoping for a direct grant. 

Its a lot to take in, but hope this is valuable. You are welcome to Pm me if you have any questions. 

Regards Rene 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[mention=259648]DukeNinja[/mention] my husband initially started the application as a Chef (189 visa) and due to lack of evidence during the skills assessment, we changed it to Cook which then changed our visa option to 190 state sponsorship.
1. Firstly he got assessed by an agent to see if he would potentially qualify for a visa. 
3. The agent assisted and applied for a skills assessment at Victoria university. This was a very lengthy and hard part. You need work references with the exact duties, position held, hours worked and rate of pay on a letter head. First aid certificate, food handling certificate, hospitality diploma etc. 
4. Vic uni came back with a list of demands like videos or photos where hubby prepares dishes, cakes, bread, soup and the list goes on. Then he needed to provide evidence of stock control, fridge temp control, cleaning schedules, HR and budgeting. They asked him to prepare a buffet menu for 500 people with 3 different meats, 3 different salads, 3 different desserts. He had to do food costing. And the list goes on. We ended up doing videos this took us about a month to gather and do. 
5. Since he couldn't provide document evidence of him managing people i.e. Like a performance appraisal and he never planned a budget he basically was always given a budget to work with and planned his menu accordingly, the assessor then suggested we change to Cook. We accepted and he was invited for a technical interview. He can't really remember much of that because of nerves, but he mentioned the guy asking him about sauces ect. The interview was done at an immigration agent (not ours) offices in London via Skype. He had to give all original documents submitted to this agent as well for scanning and emailing it to Vic uni, I guess for verification in person. 2 weeks later he got a successful assessment and was issued with a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery. 
6. The agent submitted the English test results and skills assessment outcome for an EOI 190 Victoria state sponsorship. We waited exactly 12 weeks and got our nomination and ITA on the same day. 
7. We submitted our visa application on 4 Dec, submitted medicals and PCC. Now we are hoping for a direct grant. 
Its a lot to take in, but hope this is valuable. You are welcome to Pm me if you have any questions. 
Regards Rene 

Hi how much minimum experience they want if we go for cook assessment. Is there any book Available for cook assessment. Your reply will be appreciate.

Hi

We gave work evidence of 10 years.

There is no book, but you can read more about it at https://www.vu.edu.au/skilled-migration-assessment-services-smas/application-forms-applicant-guides/cooks-chefs-pastrycooks

Also check the requirements on Australian Home Office website.

Just FYI this is what our agent asked, In addition to their qualification, applicants must be able to demonstrate work experience of at least three (3) years full-time employment in a directly related occupation. This must include twelve (12) months of full time paid employment in the nominated occupation in the three years prior to lodging the application.

Also find attached Vetassess fact sheet for cooks. 

Hope this helps.
Regards Rene

Fact Sheet - Cook Commercial Cookery.pdf

Edited by Renebo

May I suggest that you go here:

https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia

and review the pre-migration skills assessment criteria for the various teaching roles?

It is also necessary to confirm the immigration criteria for a given occupation. Even with a positive pre-migration skills assessment there might not be a viable visa application pathway.

19 hours ago, wrussell said:

May I suggest that you go here:

https://www.aitsl.edu.au/migrate-to-australia

and review the pre-migration skills assessment criteria for the various teaching roles?

It is also necessary to confirm the immigration criteria for a given occupation. Even with a positive pre-migration skills assessment there might not be a viable visa application pathway.

Why teaching roles? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!

Is there anyone applying for 190 NSW as a Chef? Does someone have any idea how long it takes to be invited?

I have 65 points and my EOI was submitted in 13/04/18. I will turn 33yo in May and I will lose 5 points.

Does anyone know if I have any chance to be invited or it is time to think about 489?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2018 at 17:59, Caps23 said:

Hi renebo I got 75 points and plus 5 if I go for 190 what do you think how long will it take to get invited for chef.

Thanks in advance

hi Caps23 

i have applied for skill assessment as  chef  month ago . i need some info regarding an interview for chef. can someone please give me some ideas what sort of questions they ask 

Thx

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, I am really hoping there is someone who can help me.

I am a chef, 3 years part time exp before commercial cookery C4 in Australia, and then 5 years full time after graduation performed as a chef in Australia.

Had a successful assessment done as a chef last year, but have not done point advice yet. Here are my questions,

1, Am I eligible for point advice as a chef with only C4 qualification, not a diploma?

2,If yes, does my working exp before my graduation count?

I really appreciate someone who has done this or who can help me out.

On 09/08/2018 at 22:08, leogao said:

Hey everyone, I am really hoping there is someone who can help me.

I am a chef, 3 years part time exp before commercial cookery C4 in Australia, and then 5 years full time after graduation performed as a chef in Australia.

Had a successful assessment done as a chef last year, but have not done point advice yet. Here are my questions,

1, Am I eligible for point advice as a chef with only C4 qualification, not a diploma?

2,If yes, does my working exp before my graduation count?

I really appreciate someone who has done this or who can help me out.

Hi I think you need to have C3, C4 and Diploma to be able to get a qualification. I am not sure better check with a migration agent

Hi all

Has anyone recently submitted an EOI for Chef under 189 in WA?

I have 70 points, with skills assessment. Wondering how long it would take to get the invitation or is there a case that they didn't get any invitation with 70 points?

Thanks! 

• 9 months later...
On 06/01/2018 at 10:04, Renebo said:

@DukeNinja my husband initially started the application as a Chef (189 visa) and due to lack of evidence during the skills assessment, we changed it to Cook which then changed our visa option to 190 state sponsorship.

Regards Rene 

Hi, how much points did your husband get for the experience and for education and what qualification does your husband has. I mean does he have a bachelor's or diploma.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...