187 vs 489 visa questions?

Pefry90

Today I spoke with one the migration's agent and I find out something new. For the first time I was planning to migrate on 489 visa by skill point test, however here appear some another option like go first by working holiday visa and when arrive on the right place try to find employer in the best occupation for me (manufacturer or gardener). Later, within one year, try to apply for a sponsorship from an employer and go on 187 visa which is permanent. Question is, is it really so simple to find employer who will offer you a sponsorship and how to do that? Second is is it have to be a specific region you must work in Australia for your occupation or just anywhere? I do not know why but I think that is much easier to apply for visa within your country and take all documents in one than try to do the same in another one where you need to make a skills assessment for example. I really want to know what you think about it?  

Let me put it like this. I am normally a fan of agents, but any agent who advises that going on a WHV and trying to get sponsored as a gardener if you already qualify for a 489 is a moron and I would rather have a used tea bag as an advisor than such an agent. If you actually do qualify for a 489 then that is the way to go. 

• Like 1

Exactly, I must say I do appreciate honesty really. To be where I am now means I do not know who is right and where is the right answer yet (basically everyone first says "ask a migration agent..."). The only thing I have is as usual listen myself and follow that and I have very similar feelings to that what he said today. I wonder to hear more and more opinions about it for sure. Thanks for reply.

2 hours ago, Pefry90 said:

Exactly, I must say I do appreciate honesty really. To be where I am now means I do not know who is right and where is the right answer yet (basically everyone first says "ask a migration agent..."). The only thing I have is as usual listen myself and follow that and I have very similar feelings to that what he said today. I wonder to hear more and more opinions about it for sure. Thanks for reply.

I agree with verystromy. Any agent who recommends a risky path of 'get a WHV and hope for sponsorship' is bit suspect. Too many risks - what if you don't find a sponsor? what if the skill is removed from the lists before you find a sponsor?

If you qualify for a 489 it gives you far more certainty from day one.

Great, that is giving me go to forward 489 visa like you all recommend and I feel this too. If you could have a choice between Manufacturer (VETASSESS) and Gardener (TRA) with the same years of experience and qualifications (add 10 points either) which one will go for?

I have another question to anyone who has already made an application for visa. Do you need send a work experience with all documents again in visa application or it's just once done when you pass a skills assessment and you do not need to do it again?

On 28/12/2017 at 04:56, VERYSTORMY said:

Let me put it like this. I am normally a fan of agents, but any agent who advises that going on a WHV and trying to get sponsored as a gardener if you already qualify for a 489 is a moron and I would rather have a used tea bag as an advisor than such an agent. If you actually do qualify for a 489 then that is the way to go. 

this is good advice from Verystormy. 

Unfortunately I fell for that trick from an agent back in the UK, since I was under 30 (29 at the time) they said to go over on a WHV and get sponsored, easy as that... ! it is not that easy believe me!. after trying for almost a year to get sponsored I managed to get a 489 with 2 weeks to spare on my WHV. very stressful year. 

if you can apply for a 489 do that rather than a WHV. 

you will need to get your skill assed so look into that either via Vetasses or what ever governing body assess your skill. 

On 30/12/2017 at 22:37, Pefry90 said:

I have another question to anyone who has already made an application for visa. Do you need send a work experience with all documents again in visa application or it's just once done when you pass a skills assessment and you do not need to do it again?

you submit your skill assessment in the visa app, that is usually fine for the agent as the skill governing body has already done the leg work and looked into your evidence. but they can call upon that evidence at any time I believe, so keep the paperwork you submitted to the skill assessment just in case.