Moving to OZ as a Plumber

Jack123

Like any occupation you need to pass a skills assessment. This varies by occupation but will be a mix of qualification and experience. Generally they will want an minimum of NVQ3, though it can be possible to go with less and replace some of the qualification with experience. They will also want a minimum number of years post qualification experience - usually at least three if you have nvq3. Note the term post qualified. 

6 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Like any occupation you need to pass a skills assessment. This varies by occupation but will be a mix of qualification and experience. Generally they will want an minimum of NVQ3, though it can be possible to go with less and replace some of the qualification with experience. They will also want a minimum number of years post qualification experience - usually at least three if you have nvq3. Note the term post qualified. 

Thanks, I currently have a Level 2 diploma and I just started my apprenticeship. I'm expected to get my NVQ 2 within 6 months to a year.

16 minutes ago, Richard Gregan said:

The NVQ 2 is still below the required level. Hopefully you are looking at this as a stepping stone to a Level 3, which is at the right level. Even then, you still need 4 years full time paid employment experience as a plumber to apply for a skills assessment through Vetassess.

Regards,

Richard

Do you need four years experience for a Temporary visa or regional visa? I assume yes, but I might as well ask

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 14:43, Richard Gregan said:

The NVQ 2 is still below the required level. Hopefully you are looking at this as a stepping stone to a Level 3, which is at the right level. Even then, you still need 4 years full time paid employment experience as a plumber to apply for a skills assessment through Vetassess.

Regards,

Richard

Can you link me where I can find out more about this please

10 hours ago, snifter said:

Can't plumbers get a temporary visa? This immigration stuff confuses the **** out of me. Everyone has a different answer to my questions. Some people say I need a NVQ2 in plumbing (certificate III)  but these people are saying I need an NVQ 3.

Plumbing is a licensed trade in Australia, therefore I doubt a Temp visa would be available. I’m a Electrician and have done a skills assessment which has given me a OTSR Certificate, but even when I land in Aus I have to gain a A class license in order for me to work unsupervised ....You could look into speaking to a Visa agent who will clear everything up for you and let you know where you stand.

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, Jack123 said:

Can't plumbers get a temporary visa? This immigration stuff confuses the **** out of me. Everyone has a different answer to my questions. Some people say I need a NVQ2 in plumbing (certificate III)  but these people are saying I need an NVQ 3.

Richard Gregan has posted above and is one of the most respected agents in the business. So, I believe you have the answer. 

Yes, you could get a temporary visa in theory, though many trade occupations still have to pass a skills assessment for a temporary 457 - something which an NVQ2 would not do. Then, getting sponsored as a plumber is far from easy as a British plumber arriving in Oz can't work straight off as a plumber. You need to obtain a license which takes time - it involves college courses and working as a trade assistant for a period. A bit like an apprentice. 

So, the answer is simple. You need to get NVQ3. Then get 4 years experience AFTER  the NVQ3. 

15 minutes ago, Antony Chinnock said:

Plumbing is a licensed trade in Australia, therefore I doubt a Temp visa would be available. I’m a Electrician and have done a skills assessment which has given me a OTSR Certificate, but even when I land in Aus I have to gain a A class license in order for me to work unsupervised ....You could look into speaking to a Visa agent who will clear everything up for you and let you know where you stand.

Good luck!

thanks for your input and hope all goes well when you get to AUS

What visa did you get and what qualifications and experience do you have?

thanks for your input and hope all goes well when you get to AUS
What visa did you get and what qualifications and experience do you have?

Hi Thanks.

I am just currently waiting for a 190 Visa to be granted.
I have level 2, level 3’s, & NVQ3, along with other associated trade quals like CompEx and High Voltage switching, however these are irrelevant for the visa process.

9 minutes ago, Antony Chinnock said:

Hi Thanks.

I am just currently waiting for a 190 Visa to be granted.
I have level 2, level 3’s, & NVQ3, along with other associated trade quals like CompEx and High Voltage switching, however these are irrelevant for the visa process.

You need them for the TRA which is necessary for that visa, right? 

You need them for the TRA which is necessary for that visa, right? 

I needed them in order to satisfy TRA (and DIBP) that I have the required level of experience and qualifications, I still had to do a stage 1 (references, certs, Work history, payslips)....and stage 2 (practical one day)skills assessment.
A migration agent will advise better as they are very knowledgeable.

Cheers

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Pages/Plumbing-Provisional-Licensing.aspx

Consider obtaining an AQF Certificate III through VETASSESS or VicUni to validate your competencies before obtaining a migration skills assessment from Trades Recognition Australia.

A Certificate III is an Australian qualification, which should also help when you start looking for work in Australia.

Check licensing requirements too in the above link.

Suggest you might also discuss with Richard Gregan.   Feel able to ping a message to me as well.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Alan Collett said:

http://www.tradesrecognitionaustralia.gov.au/Programs/Pages/Plumbing-Provisional-Licensing.aspx

Consider obtaining an AQF Certificate III through VETASSESS or VicUni to validate your competencies before obtaining a migration skills assessment from Trades Recognition Australia.

A Certificate III is an Australian qualification, which should also help when you start looking for work in Australia.

Check licensing requirements too in the above link.

Suggest you might also discuss with Richard Gregan.   Feel able to ping a message to me as well.

Good luck!

Thanks mate. I should get my NVQ 2 (which is a certificate III equivalent) sometime this year.  

8 minutes ago, Jack123 said:

I'd be wary of that site. Its a US site. I can't find the MARA info on the migration agents and you should ensure any agent you use is MARA registered and reputable. 

Please know the agents that post on this forum are reputable registered migration agents. Two have taken time and posted in reply to you in this thread. You are going off and finding other info elsewhere when you would probably be better heeding what they are saying and perhaps contacting one of them to discuss before you plough on. 

The domain australia-migration.com used to belong to ASA consultants who were based in Perth. I think they went bust around 5 years ago

Given the domain ownership details are now hidden, there's no Australia/UK contact details, the US address is a virtual office (https://www.opusvirtualoffices.com/virtual-office/arizona/scottsdale/location-967) there's no Agent details listed on the site, the news section doesn't have anything listed for 3 years, the website is not displaying correctly and the content has been lifted from the previous owners of the domain - https://web.archive.org/web/20130424050131/http://australia-migration.com/ I'd probably give it a miss.

• Like 1

An NVQ 2 is not listed as a Level 3 equivalent on the Country Education Profiles (CEP), which is what I and other Registered Agents use (and pay an annual subscription for!) to assess the equivalency of qualifications. This is the same CEP that the Department uses, as well as the skills assessing authorities. When a qualification is not listed, then the qualification will be assessed on its own merits. A level 2 is almost guaranteed NOT to be accepted. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

At the moment, length of work experience is an issue. you've only just started in real terms.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Gregan said:

An NVQ 2 is not listed as a Level 3 equivalent on the Country Education Profiles (CEP), which is what I and other Registered Agents use (and pay an annual subscription for!) to assess the equivalency of qualifications. This is the same CEP that the Department uses, as well as the skills assessing authorities. When a qualification is not listed, then the qualification will be assessed on its own merits. A level 2 is almost guaranteed NOT to be accepted. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

At the moment, length of work experience is an issue. you've only just started in real terms.

Regards,

Richard

What would you say the best/fastest route I should take into getting a visa? Should I continue my apprenticeship or should I try to get work experience as soon as I can but not end up with as many qualifications