Perth to Sunshine Coast?

Siobhan_x

Hi .. I'm a newbie on here, Im 27 year old female and lived in Perth now for over 4 years. Not to bash Perth but from coming from a very social and active life in the UK to now a practically a non existent social life .. it's been very hard settling. Ive been out of work for a while now from non stop having job offers to nothing, and I am looking from Mandurah to joondlup and have lived in many of places so I'm not limiting myself. When I was working I did have friends.. I'm a very easy going girl, can talk to anyone and always had lots of friends in the UK. Over here I found people to be so fake and flakey. One minute they are planning a catch up or to hang out then the next they ghost you. I can't stand fake people and the fake friends thing, I do have a few friends over here but non of which I'm close too .. apart from my Uk little sissy (family here who also doesnt like perth) I was a huge party girl in the uk and still go out over here but im defiantly getting bored of it now. I would much prefer exploring, fishing, camping kayaking .. the outdoorsy things I love the aussie lifestyle. Anyways I'm really thinking about moving over East, I've grown up and sick of the heavy boozed filled wknds with the 3 day hangovers lol. I was thinking of Brisbane first but now I've got my heart set on Sunshine coast, it just looks so beautiful and I have been told the people are so laid back and nicer over East. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated ?

Edited by Siobhan_x

I've been in recruitment for the last 4 years and have 8 years of administration behind me. I've been paid very poorly in Perth, and when talking to people about work they are shocked and the work load I was doing for such a low wage. Brisbane looks beautiful but I changed my flight to sunshine coast for may next year, if I had the money I would try both. 

6 hours ago, Siobhan_x said:

I've been in recruitment for the last 4 years and have 8 years of administration behind me. I've been paid very poorly in Perth, and when talking to people about work they are shocked and the work load I was doing for such a low wage. Brisbane looks beautiful but I changed my flight to sunshine coast for may next year, if I had the money I would try both. 

Having sent much time on both coasts, ozzies on the east coast are no different to ozzies on the west coast. 

Admin work in oz is often under paid and you're frequently expected to put extra time and work in, that just goes with the job. Sunshone Coast is lovely but so much of it is rural and so has much much less than Brisbane in the way of job opportunities and has a high unemployment rate. You'd be better off working in Brisbane and just going to the coast when you get time off.

Edited by Nemesis

Some good news for jobs on the Sunshine Coast 

Youi insurance have moved their head quarters and call centre here and there is a brand new Public hospital recently opened, both providing much welcome local employment. The area seems to be growing, it's almost unrecognisable from when we came 15 years ago.

Good luck with your decision Siobhan

• Like 3

Sunshine Coast is nice. Could easily live there. Brisbane is good too but a bit too far from decent beaches for me. Wouldn't fancy travelling to the sunshine or gold coast every weekend.

Sorry about the job situation. Must be a lot of competition in that area though.

Join your local surf club and start joining in with the many sports you'll have access to. You'll meet like minded people who are more into fitness than getting off their face every weekend. Not to say they don't like a drink but it's usually after a training session.

Cheap bars and food and a gym membership all in one place.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments. Yeah I'm well aware of extra work, from the past 4 years travelling 4 hours daily, working until sometimes 7pm of a night with taking work home.. it's never an issue i work well with a high work load and pressure, it was the below minimum wage I was receiving that was becoming an issue. It was WA agencies that were shocked at my wages and work load. I'm looking for anything from Mandurah to joondalup but seem to not be getting anywhere. I go to the gym 4 times a week but never really met anybody lol. Hopefully something will come off in 2018! I do have a flight booked to SC in may, suppoose i can go and check it out. Brisbane looks lovely but I need to live somewhere more beachy ?

• Like 1

On 17 December 2017 at 10:34, Siobhan_x said:

Hi .. I'm a newbie on here, Im 27 year old female and lived in Perth now for over 4 years. Not to bash Perth but from coming from a very social and active life in the UK to now a practically a non existent social life .. it's been very hard settling. Ive been out of work for a while now from non stop having job offers to nothing, and I am looking from Mandurah to joondlup and have lived in many of places so I'm not limiting myself. When I was working I did have friends.. I'm a very easy going girl, can talk to anyone and always had lots of friends in the UK. Over here I found people to be so fake and flakey. One minute they are planning a catch up or to hang out then the next they ghost you. I can't stand fake people and the fake friends thing, I do have a few friends over here but non of which I'm close too .. apart from my Uk little sissy (family here who also doesnt like perth) I was a huge party girl in the uk and still go out over here but im defiantly getting bored of it now. I would much prefer exploring, fishing, camping kayaking .. the outdoorsy things I love the aussie lifestyle. Anyways I'm really thinking about moving over East, I've grown up and sick of the heavy boozed filled wknds with the 3 day hangovers lol. I was thinking of Brisbane first but now I've got my heart set on Sunshine coast, it just looks so beautiful and I have been told the people are so laid back and nicer over East. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated ?

Totally understand the social life thing xD

Hopefully it improves for you wherever you end up next.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

My parents and sisters live on the Sunshine Coast (Pelican Waters/Caloundra). Like visiting there and do so every couple of years but would have no desire to move there. Everything seems to be closed by 7pm? Lot of retirees there. Plus, no daylight savings. Good beaches, though. Only visited Brisbane for short periods of time, so can't really comment.

• 1 month later...

If you fancy a move to the Sunshine Coast then why not although it's possible you might find things the same. As someone above said, people are much the same wherever you are. I loved Perth when I went over in December/January but I did the same things I do in Sydney, finding a cafe or two that I liked - the Summit in Mends St and Health Freaks in both Mends St and in Ardross (or is it Applecross) and a pub I made my local - the Windsor in South Perth. The differences I noticed compared to Sydney were not in the people but the relative ease to drive around, with few traffic jams at least compared to Sydney.

If you want to get into the outdoor lifestyle then join a bushwalking club. They do things every weekend, day walks, weekend walks, not unlike The Ramblers in the UK. One thing I noticed when I was in South Perth which I have never noticed in Sydney was the number of "pellatrons" of cyclists on a Sat morning flock after flock of them on Mill Point Road, and taking over cafes in Mends St. I've never seen such a fine network of cycle routes as I have in Perth along all the waterways.

Once the idea of a move is in your head it can be hard to shake it off, and why should you!? That is what drove us all to come to OZ. I never had the slightest intention to either move to Perth or start taking regular holidays there until a friend suggested that we meet there in December. Now I'm trying to weigh things up, again not unlike the decisions we make about coming to OZ (or going back to the UK.) Do I want to uproot myself again having done it three times already? What if I transfer with my job and want to come back to Sydney?

Do people commute from the Sunshine Coast to Brisbane? I am assuming that most of the work will be there? I was wondering if the SC is not unlike some of those resort towns south of Perth - Mandurah? Dunsborough? I stopped in them to and from Margaret River.