Going back

Jock

For the last two years I have been on casual employment and it's not been a financial success, and when the school holidays kick in, I have not  a lot of work. I'm a school bus driver .

I made a deal with myself that if I didn't get a permanent position, by the time I'm 58, I would return to the UK.

So, as I haven't been back for some years, I would like to hear some thoughts,ideas about the pros and cons of heading home.

Funny that,,saying heading home. Been here since 1994 and I don't think I've ever called Adelaide home!

Good luck! My observation is that UK isn’t nearly as ageist and both the DH and I were offered jobs since being here but neither of us actually wanted one. Personally I am very happy in U.K. and even though caring for elderly relatives is an onerous full time job in itself I live in a lovely part, the weather has been fab so my fitness has increased 100%, there’s so much to do as a retiree.  I guess it all depends what you want to get out of a move. 

• Like 1

TBH I think that if after 20 plus years you don't think of this place as your home, then looking at a move back isn't a bad idea.

I also think that being on a casual contract can be rather hard going after a while, especially if you rely on the income and its pretty much non existent during school holidays. 

I don't know what the pros and cons would be at this point in life for you though. You may find its casual or zero hour contracts back in the UK in the same line of work. And perhaps not paying much. I know a coach driver there and he was barely earning more than minimum wage driving a coach for a hire company. Used to do school trips and other things. This was a few years ago and I don't know if the wages have improved much since then. But then there are companies like National Express and you could look at what they offer. Given the size of the UK and how the coach set up runs, you could work locally and do a decent drive each day but still be home each evening IYKWIM. Although overnights, early and late starts could also play a part.

Do you have much in the way of savings to take back with you? And what area are you looking to move to? Those things could make a big difference. What about pension when it comes round? I'd investigate the financial aspects in full to make sure you know what you are facing. 

On 15/12/2017 at 00:54, Jock said:

For the last two years I have been on casual employment and it's not been a financial success, and when the school holidays kick in, I have not  a lot of work. I'm a school bus driver .

I made a deal with myself that if I didn't get a permanent position, by the time I'm 58, I would return to the UK.

So, as I haven't been back for some years, I would like to hear some thoughts,ideas about the pros and cons of heading home.

Funny that,,saying heading home. Been here since 1994 and I don't think I've ever called Adelaide home!

I suppose we can only speak of our own personal experiences of course and ours are overwhelmingly positive. I tend not to say I returned home as I grew up in Australia but England does very much feel like home to me, my wife never wanted to live in Australia so is very happy to be home and out teenage kids love it here. The UK is like anywhere, there is good and bad but fortunately the good far outweighs the bad. We have no regrets at all. As far as the cons of heading home I really can't think of any lol

• 2 weeks later...

You don't say where you are from. But if  you look up  Stansted Airport.You'll find a  a great job there.And   a variety of Bus  driving jobs always wanted. from 12.50hr to 14.50hr depending what you want to do. I think the Last time i looked the  pay was 12 .50  You work  a 12 hour shift  transferring passengers from the Park and ride car park to the Airport.But there seems to be plenty of work for Bus Drivers,and HGV drivers all over the UK. I used to drive for the National Express based in Cambridge loved it. Just sorry i ever left there. There was a few Geordies working there that came down for the work.After i started so it was great. It's a  beautiful  place to live,and work, and a great company to work for I think it's Stage Coach.And u can get your Aussie Licence changed over to a British PSV .They train you up. Route Learning till you say you know the route .There is no pressure. You have to pass  a Driving test and a Maths test.We are on our way back as soon as we sell up. Australia is now the Country of Hate. especially after the Cricket. Why do they bother win or lose, it's anti pom Ridicule and insults.

To be honest, I wasn't going back to find employment right away. I've always wanted to tour the Britiish Isles. First port of call was obviously back to my home town to see my family  and catch up. Then after Xmas,2018,  I'm going to sit my PSV licence . Then do my tour, and THEN, look for employment.

Thanks for all your responses, truly grateful .

I came here in 1994 to work on the new submarines, but the visa situation back then was tricky, and I couldn't get a start, so I ended up being a TransAdelaide bus driver, my calling. I think.  Still love driving buses.

No mortgage,no kids, no wife or partner, time for a change.

Jock 

Sounds like you've got a good plan worked out. Being just you you can be a lot more flexible and go with the flow on things which will be useful. 

Enjoy the tour :) Some lovely parts of the world to be seen within the British Isles.