Mbandvb

My husband and I are moving out to Australia at the end of January 2018 and we are taking our beloved pooch with us. We have chosen a travel company to fly her with but I am so nervous for her to fly and the idea of her being in her crate for over 24 hours scares me a little.

I would love to hear some people's stories on there pets journey to Oz from the UK just to get more of an idea of the process the dog goes through and how you dogs got on after the flight and quarantine.

Thanks in advance.

My fur babies flew back to the earlier in the year and they were in a lot better shape than I was after the flight. The crates are large and they are unlikely to be the only one on the flight.  The oldest has flown round the globe twice and spent time in jail , aka quarantine, with no ill effects. I was worried about her this time as she was on QF1 which has a short stopover in  Dubai but the animals are not offloaded and she has arthritis but it all went smoothly. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply :) It puts me at ease a bit more now. Our girl will be spending time in Dubai as a stop over which they informed us they stay in the crate but will get check on and then she will go to Melbourne quarantine for a minimum of 10 days.

Can I ask which company you used? Also did you receive any updates along the way?

We flew ours back to the uk last year, so no quarantine to worry about, but we're still very worried about him. He flew via Dubai. 

He was fine at the end. Fairly hungry as he has a medical condition that meant they couldn't feed him. But other than that, he was fine. Though he did have jet lag for an couple of weeks

we used Dogtainers. 

• Like 1

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 06:06, VERYSTORMY said:

We flew ours back to the uk last year, so no quarantine to worry about, but we're still very worried about him. He flew via Dubai. 

He was fine at the end. Fairly hungry as he has a medical condition that meant they couldn't feed him. But other than that, he was fine. Though he did have jet lag for an couple of weeks

we used Dogtainers. 

Thank you for your reply :) Glad to hear that you pooch had a good journey and got back home safely

I didn't even consider jet lag for the dog xD 

We flew our Shar Pei from UK  to Oz last year -he had never been in a crate , never been in  kennels and never been away from us except with our neighbour 

I was paranoid  to say the least He was fine though a bit daggy when he came out of quarantine as they feed kibble and he is raw fed but all in all he scrubbed up well 

We used Golden Arrow and they were marvellous especially at the last minute when our vet lost a crucial blood test they pulled out all stops and got him retested and results so he could fly on time 

He came the Dubai route too and could only fly in certain months because of his breed 

He settled though from day 1 lives on 20 acres and is very happy !

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 07:04, Patphillips47 said:

We flew our Shar Pei from UK  to Oz last year -he had never been in a crate , never been in  kennels and never been away from us except with our neighbour 

I was paranoid  to say the least He was fine though a bit daggy when he came out of quarantine as they feed kibble and he is raw fed but all in all he scrubbed up well 

We used Golden Arrow and they were marvellous especially at the last minute when our vet lost a crucial blood test they pulled out all stops and got him retested and results so he could fly on time 

He came the Dubai route too and could only fly in certain months because of his breed 

He settled though from day 1 lives on 20 acres and is very happy !

Lovely to hear that you pup is settled now in Oz! Our Labrador hasn't ever been in kennels or a crate either so puts my mind a rest hearing this :D

Did quarantine contact you at all during your dogs stay?

On 28/12/2017 at 03:14, Mbandvb said:

Lovely to hear that you pup is settled now in Oz! Our Labrador hasn't ever been in kennels or a crate either so puts my mind a rest hearing this :D

Did quarantine contact you at all during your dogs stay?

Just an email to say he was ok and peeing on grass as he will not pee on concrete lol

Hi, getting involved in this thread as we (me the wife and children) are heading off to Aus September 2018 and we are taking our Patterdale Terrier with us. I have a friend over in Aus and he shipped both of his Patterdale’s over and according to him they are doing just fine, it’s fair to say or at least what I have read is, they seem to fair better than we do. Saying that though.....

I’m still dreading putting mine in a crate/flight/quarantine.

Keep us posted & Good Luck

1 hour ago, Antony Chinnock said:

Hi, getting involved in this thread as we (me the wife and children) are heading off to Aus September 2018 and we are taking our Patterdale Terrier with us. I have a friend over in Aus and he shipped both of his Patterdale’s over and according to him they are doing just fine, it’s fair to say or at least what I have read is, they seem to fair better than we do. Saying that though.....

I've not seen a Patterdale since we arrived here. Used to see a fair few back in the UK, mainly used as working dogs though and had one as a foster for a few months.

We have a terrier that we got after we moved here and although it applies to all dogs, I think with terriers it can apply more so :S. Be very snake aware (and other wildlife naturally, to protect the wildlife). In your own garden and when out. We don't use local dog parks either as they are mostly filled with big dogs than can often be overly dominant or somewhat aggressive. That isn't of course all dog parks but the ones near us I've tried and won't go back to anymore. TBH I don't really like the idea of dog parks and a heap of dogs in a confined space so its not loss to us. I walk lots of trails here (semi rural area) but mine is on a long leash as we've seen brown snakes when out (outside of winter) and tbh its not worth the risk to the dog or us humans. Also we see lizards, koalas, roos and more so again, won't take the risk to them and keep dog on. He gets his free runs chasing his ball in the reserves/parks on our routes and on the beaches that are dog friendly. I am still snake and wildlife aware in those places also. We've currently got a koala in residence in the local reserve and quite a few times later in the afternoon when we've been over there we've seen her walking around between trees. Also found a blue tongue in need of some first aid so took it to a local wildlife rescue. 

16 hours ago, Antony Chinnock said:

I have heard nothing but good thing on this forum and from our local vets who have dealt with Petair a few times. I keep telling my dog 'I am coming back for you' xD ... not that she has any clue!

We fly out 3 weeks today! I am getting so excited/nervous!

Best of luck with your move!

4 hours ago, Mbandvb said:

I have heard nothing but good thing on this forum and from our local vets who have dealt with Petair a few times. I keep telling my dog 'I am coming back for you' xD ... not that she has any clue!

We fly out 3 weeks today! I am getting so excited/nervous!

Best of luck with your move!

Hello Mbandvb

I also fly out with my husband in 3 weeks.

Try not to worry, I have used Petair once before and they are excellent.

Both my Cocker spaniels are flying out just after us and they will be boarding with them before they fly with Qantas.

Wishing you good luck.

Edited by rachelk

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 14:28, Antony Chinnock said:

I think PetAir are our preferred choice....Do you fly before/after your pooch?
We are mulling over the Gold Package they offer just because they take control of everything which can leave us to concentrate on other matters.

3 weeks eh! Wow.

Good luck and best of luck to you aswell.

Keep us all posted

We fly out 2 weeks before her. It means we wont see her for around a month but we can also get everything ready for her coming home :) 

We went for the Gold Package for that reason, however we did take off the collection of our dog. My parents are taking her down to London on our behalf and are going to break up the journey on the way down for our pooch. We live in the North East and it would be over a 5 hour drive added on top of her already long journey.

Petair will let you tailor the packages to your needs, they have been brilliant with us so far. They literally tell us when we need to do anything, like make any vet appointments etc.

I will keep you updated on her journey :D

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 19:15, rachelk said:

Hello Mbandvb

I also fly out with my husband in 3 weeks.

Try not to worry, I have used Petair once before and they are excellent.

Both my Cocker spaniels are flying out just after us and they will be boarding with them before they fly with Qantas.

Wishing you good luck.

Oh wow, do you? Where are you flying from/to?

Thank you, I do feel more relaxed about it than I did, hearing experiences like yours certainly helps. :)

Yes our Labrador is going down to stay with them the day before the flight too.

Good luck to you too!

We fly out 2 weeks before her. It means we wont see her for around a month but we can also get everything ready for her coming home [emoji4] 
We went for the Gold Package for that reason, however we did take off the collection of our dog. My parents are taking her down to London on our behalf and are going to break up the journey on the way down for our pooch. We live in the North East and it would be over a 5 hour drive added on top of her already long journey.
Petair will let you tailor the packages to your needs, they have been brilliant with us so far. They literally tell us when we need to do anything, like make any vet appointments etc.
I will keep you updated on her journey [emoji3]

Oh good, we too are from the North East (Middlesbrough).
I think we will take the Gold package, sounds good.
Thanks for the advice
All the best!

44 minutes ago, Antony Chinnock said:

Oh good, we too are from the North East (Middlesbrough).
I think we will take the Gold package, sounds good.
Thanks for the advice
All the best!

Ah no way! We are from Chester-Le-Street :D

Like you say the Gold Package is one less thing to worry about as they do basically everything, you just have to take your dog to the appointments at your local vet. :)

Where are you relocating to?

Did you get a 189 skilled visa?

Edited by Mbandvb
extra question added in

• 2 weeks later...

Could any one advise what the protocol is once your pet has completed quarantine - i assume i will have to collect our dog at Melbourne, but unsure how i will get him to the airport as it is 25 minutes drive and I will be flying in from brisbane - any previous experience or ideas would help or other ways ?? Thanks

Guest The Pom Queen
On 01/01/2018 at 00:28, Antony Chinnock said:

I think PetAir are our preferred choice....Do you fly before/after your pooch?
We are mulling over the Gold Package they offer just because they take control of everything which can leave us to concentrate on other matters.

3 weeks eh! Wow.

Good luck and best of luck to you aswell.

Keep us all posted

Petair are excellent, Bob is a vet so you have the best of both worlds I’d trust him with my children and will be using him in the very near future. 

Mainly for Antony really - if you are planning on going in September you need to start the rabies work now as you have to give a rabies vaccine, then rabies blood sample and then wait for 6 months after the rabies blood sample. We see so many families whose pets have to wait in UK for the rabies blood sample timescale to pass and it is so sad.

The rabies work is not included in our gold service as vets can do that and it is better/cheaper for you just to deal direct with them for that. It is the Australia specific aspects which get a bit more complex and so we try to supervise that as much as possible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 16:47, BobPetairUK said:

Mainly for Antony really - if you are planning on going in September you need to start the rabies work now as you have to give a rabies vaccine, then rabies blood sample and then wait for 6 months after the rabies blood sample. We see so many families whose pets have to wait in UK for the rabies blood sample timescale to pass and it is so sad.

The rabies work is not included in our gold service as vets can do that and it is better/cheaper for you just to deal direct with them for that. It is the Australia specific aspects which get a bit more complex and so we try to supervise that as much as possible.

Thank you for the advice......I've only just seen this....and i'm browsing this site almost everyday!

Joanna has been dealing with us and provided our quote. Best ring the vets!

Thanks

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:35, Antony Chinnock said:

Thank you for the advice......I've only just seen this....and i'm browsing this site almost everyday!

Joanna has been dealing with us and provided our quote. Best ring the vets!

Thanks

If you need any advice or help just give me a shout. Petair have been amazing with us so far and are helping to keep my anxiety at bay for the flight!

Our beloved pooch is flying out this week so we are a little nervous but also very excited to be reunited with her soon as we have been in Oz without her for over 2 weeks now!

Good luck with everything :)

• Like 2