Shipping to Melbourne

mattm555

Hi everyone,

Got my partner visa sorted so now we're looking at shipping our household items over to Melbourne from the UK. 

I've had 3 quotes from different companies all coming out around the same price. What's the best thing to do with insurance, go with the company's own policy or use a 3rd party? Any plus points or negatives for either?

Thanks

What @unzippy said re the insurance. 

You can read no end of feedback from people who used the shipping companies own insurance and then only got a fraction of what they claimed or had to argue for months to get the claim sorted. I've yet to read of an independent insurance company causing the same problems or arguing out a claim. 

• 2 months later...

Another question regarding this topic does anyone have any suggestions on what shipping company to use.

We will only have 1 - 2 standard pallets to send mainly containing clothing and electrical items, we have decided not to take things like sofa or bed. 

Hi JJ,

We're going with Anglo Pacific - we're shipping all our furniture including sofa etc. So a bit different to you

We had quotes from PSS, John Mason, Crown and Britannia. No real reason why we went for them, just that my girlfriend had a good feeling about them.

I'll keep you updated how it goes (moving end of March).

Thanks Matt that would be great.

We have kind of borrowed / acquired a lot of our current furniture in anticipation of the move and my partner has basically a full kitchen in terms of appliances and cutlery store at his dads house as he never sold it them when he moves here. I think we will only need 1 maybe 2 pallets.