Quantas direct flight London to Sydney

Chasing a dream

There will most likely be a stop over in Dubai if that is the route they are taking. It sounds like a refuel type stop so you would only have an hour or so on the ground. 

It continues with the same flight number rather than transferring hence the one flight bug they need to refuel. Usually QF2, it’s the one I generally take. It’s not a bad trip but I much prefer Singapore to Dubai. They will be flying through Singapore from March again, I think. I can’t be bothered with stop overs, get it all done in one hit. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If I recall, starting this year Qantas are pulling out of Dubai, and routing their SYD-LHR flight via Singapore again (I think this starts in March too?) so any flights via DXB after that point with QF flight numbers will be an Emirates operated flight running under the codeshare, and to be honest, despite the hyped first class experience on EK, they are *not* as good Qantas in Economy. Avoid economy in EK's 777s -  they have been "refurbished" with a "high-density" cabin which means super-narrow seats, as they jam in an extra row down the *length* of the plane in a 3-4-3 configuration. :(

There's a myraid of good airlines doing London-Sydney, so no need to be shoe-horned in to Emirates, or, heaven forbid, Etihad. As well as Qantas, check out China Airlines (NOT Air China - different airline, not comparable, lovely econ class with a "skycouch" option in economy that is *amazing*), or Singapore Airlines (the one and only). If you don't mind a longer route, Air NZ, who also have a skycouch and fly westward out of London which minimizes the jetlag, despite the longer flight.

• Like 2

So pleased to hear Qantas are going back to using Singapore as the stop over. Changi is so much better to transit through or spend a few hours than any other airport. I've missed that route and will be sure to use it next time I am heading back over the Europe for a trip. Singapore Airlines and Qantas via Changi, win win for me :D  No more horrible Aus - Dubai with Emirates on a cramped 777 for 13 hours :S

On 23/02/2018 at 02:13, HibiscusDreams said:

If I recall, starting this year Qantas are pulling out of Dubai, and routing their SYD-LHR flight via Singapore again (I think this starts in March too?) so any flights via DXB after that point with QF flight numbers will be an Emirates operated flight running under the codeshare, and to be honest, despite the hyped first class experience on EK, they are *not* as good Qantas in Economy. Avoid economy in EK's 777s -  they have been "refurbished" with a "high-density" cabin which means super-narrow seats, as they jam in an extra row down the *length* of the plane in a 3-4-3 configuration. :(

There's a myraid of good airlines doing London-Sydney, so no need to be shoe-horned in to Emirates, or, heaven forbid, Etihad. As well as Qantas, check out China Airlines (NOT Air China - different airline, not comparable, lovely econ class with a "skycouch" option in economy that is *amazing*), or Singapore Airlines (the one and only). If you don't mind a longer route, Air NZ, who also have a skycouch and fly westward out of London which minimizes the jetlag, despite the longer flight.

Yes that’s correct about pulling out of Dubai , it’s due to costs , lots of delayed flights and damage / wear on engines 

• 1 month later...

Just flew return flight Perth to London. 17hrs 20mins outbound and 15hrs 45mins return. Pleasantly surprised as I usually prefer a short stopover. More legroom than I expected seats were fairly comfortable. Food was alright with a choice of three courses for the main meal and plenty of snacks between that and breakfast. Only gripe with breakfast is that not everyone likes omelette as the only hot option. Service was great with the crew being attentive and helpful.

• Like 2

On 22/02/2018 at 15:13, HibiscusDreams said:

Are these picked up on flight skanner?

My issue is, I prefer Gatwick to Heathrow, so that often twists my arm.

Don't know if they are on Flight Scanner, but they do come up on SkyScanner. If you want to use the Skycouch though, I'd recommend contacting China Airlines or Air NZ first and checking how to go about it, as it's a non standard option, and you don't want to buy a ticket through a broker only to realise it's the wrong type. If I recall, Air China let's you add it on as an after booking option, but best to double check as it's a lot of money involved.