457 to residency

sunshinedawn

34 minutes ago, sunshinedawn said:
3 hours ago, Raul Senise said:
The Department has announced that applicants who lodged or held a subclass 457 visa prior to the announced changes on 18 April 2017 will only need to meet the current 2 years for TRT and the current age maximum of under 50 will apply. Applications lodged after 18 April 2017 will need to meet new 3 year TRT rules and be under 45.

So there's no chance that we can stay after our visa expires next year

Looks like it :(  Although, this raises another question - was this information available at the time when the 457 was granted? Let's say in May, June, July and August people were granted 457 an they made decisions based on the assumption that in 2 years they will be under 50 but older than 45, and eligible for PR. Later on, the changes happened and the same people no longer qualify.  I am curious when the info has been released? I might be wrong but in the case for a visa granted in June 2017 I  do not think that the rules for age and residency were in place, which means that the government is backdating. Is this correct? Has the changes that we are discussing here been officially announced and implemented?

On 11/01/2018 at 11:15, sunshinedawn said:

Could the company who sponsored my husband's visa reapply again for it when it expires if he's still working for them

Yes, under the proposed TSS system, applicants with an occupation on the short term list will be able to re apply once for a further 2 year visa.