You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

:GEEK:so what about a pio, book club, well sort of. i love reading and im sure a lot of the other site members do , do you have any favourite , types , authors, good summer read?? bring them on and lets see if we can gain a few interesting reads from this! my personal favs are fiction ; fantasy , and thrillers, with a good old romance thrown in. I have just read a trio by david gibbins.. atlantis , crusaders gold and the last gospell, great if you like a bit of myth with thrillers thrown in , a cross between indianna jones and dan brown! just starting a sloppy by james patterson, called sunday at tiffany's...any good ones reccomended?:smile:

to much partying to much booze gives you spots and makes you snooze!

sharon.

Guest Mel.R

I am a book geek too. I am currently reading a James Herbert book Called the Secret of Crickley Hall. I am halfway through it, and it is brilliant. It's the first James Herbert I have read.

I also love Cecila Ahern and Patricia Cornwall.

Another Fab book is called Arthur and George by Julian Barnes. Highly recommended.

I could go on forever!!!

Mx

Guest melissa

If you like thrillers and noir, then i recommend an author called Kem Nunn. Dodgy name i know but his books revolve around surfers, misfits and low-life's. But there's always a moral edge. The're not too heavy and suck you right into the characters worlds. 'Dogs of winter', 'Tapping the source', Tijuanna straights'. The last one is one the best books i've ever read. :GEEK:

Darren.

Guest kdal

I love James Patterson although never read a sloppy one by him. Love Linda LaPlante (may have spelt that all wrong) too. Being really cheeky at the moment and reading a Jackie Collins book, and it would make your hair curl I can tell you LOL

:GEEK:

I am a book geek too. I am currently reading a James Herbert book Called the Secret of Crickley Hall. I am halfway through it, and it is brilliant. It's the first James Herbert I have read.

I also love Cecila Ahern and Patricia Cornwall.

Another Fab book is called Arthur and George by Julian Barnes. Highly recommended.

I could go on forever!!!

Mx

oh yes me too, ive read james herberts the cottage, scary love the celia ahern stuff just read where rainbows end recently! sniff! kathy reichs is brilliant , never cornwall are they simm?

sharon.

I love James Patterson although never read a sloppy one by him. Love Linda LaPlante (may have spelt that all wrong) too. Being really cheeky at the moment and reading a Jackie Collins book, and it would make your hair curl I can tell you LOL

hi ya , james has done 3 sloppys and they are fab , well 2 are im on his third , weird though cause ive read all his alex cross novels and the murder club, you just dont think it of him.... enjoy your jackie collins lol:yes:

sharon.

If you like Cecile Aherne then you'll love Marion Keyes. Just read This Charming Man and loved it.

Felicity:yes:

Felicity + Michael - We're 'Pozzies' - Happy and Lovin' it!

Melbourne since September 07

Guest mandy1

Hi all

I have just read an amazing biography called 'girl with the cardboard port'. It was borrowed from Warnbro library and it was a fantastic read. I love Tess Gerritsen, proper people's biographies (not celebs-lol) horror-clive barker, james Herbert etc.. and also light chic-lit reading.

Mandy x

The Forgotten Children by David Hill - fairbridge Farm School and Its Betrayal of Britain's Child Migrants to Australia

blurb from back cover: In 1959 David Hill's mother - a poor English single parent - reluctantly decided to send her sons to Fairbridge Farm School in NSW where, she was led to believe, they would have a good education and a better life. David and his brothers were lucky - his mother was able to follow them out to Aus - but for most children, the reality was shockingly different. Fron 1938 to 1974 thousands of parents were persuaded to sign over legal guardianship of thier children to Fairbridge.

It can make uncomfortable reading but is a really good book

Ali

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

The Forgotten Children by David Hill - fairbridge Farm School and Its Betrayal of Britain's Child Migrants to Australia

blurb from back cover: In 1959 David Hill's mother - a poor English single parent - reluctantly decided to send her sons to Fairbridge Farm School in NSW where, she was led to believe, they would have a good education and a better life. David and his brothers were lucky - his mother was able to follow them out to Aus - but for most children, the reality was shockingly different. Fron 1938 to 1974 thousands of parents were persuaded to sign over legal guardianship of thier children to Fairbridge.

It can make uncomfortable reading but is a really good book

Ali

Ali, thats is a great book i have that too - other good reads are

"Forget you have a daughter" by Sandra Gregory - who is doing time in the Bankok Hilton & also "No turning back" by Joanne Lees (the aussie backer whos boyfriend was murdered on the Stuart Highway

** Here There,Where Ever Be Happy**

Guest Mel.R
:GEEK:

oh yes me too, ive read james herberts the cottage, scary love the celia ahern stuff just read where rainbows end recently! sniff! kathy reichs is brilliant , never cornwall are they simm?

I like Kathy Reichs too, she is very similar to Cornwall. Another one that writes similar is Karin Slaughter.

Mx

I love Dorothy Koomson...my best friends girl,marshmallows for breakfast,the cupid effect.

hi shellj, ive read my best friends girl it was brilliant, it was a richard and judy summer read. a really fab oz book ive read recently is called.. my brilliant career by miles franklin it's amazing , she wrote it when she was 16! life in the outback in the 1900's man was that a hard life,

hi mel, ive read a couple of karen slaughter, just read skin privelage, that was good.

sharon.

Knowledge of Angels - Jill Paton Walsh

It's a real thinker. Love it.

And for a bit of adventure I love Clive Cussler books! Bit of Dirk Pitt action! Think Matthew McConaghey in Sahara!

Kate

Fibrous Plasterer (dryliner) MODL 4412-11 - AQF3/Pathway E TRA sent 8/4/09 passed 6/5/09 - 175 visa lodged 2/6/09 - Medicals received 4/4/11 - Police checks uploaded 3/11 - More work evidence sent 14/6/11 - APPROVED 16/6/11

Guest roma 1

hi,

we are a family of readers. i like Conn Iggulden 's books and Agatha Christie's Poirot.

at the moment i am reading Peyton place (good book too). we also like historical books,the Romans and Juluis Caesar.Mark reads James Herbert and has a huge collection of his hardbacks.One of our houses was called Gramarye from the Magic Cottage (spooky name i know!!!)Frankie is reading Percy Jackson books at the moment.we have a massive bookcase (from floor to ceiling) in our lounge and all the books will be coming with us!!!!will need a container just for them!!!!

gail x

ps have just finished Crickley Hall but i won't spoil it and tell you the end!!! Mel R!!!!

Guest Quentin Wilson

I like reading the bible.

Guest roma 1

hi again,

another great author is Dan Brown. Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code are great reads,

gail x

ps it looks like all i do all the time is go on here or read....... yep about right!!!!:v_SPIN:

hi again,

another great author is Dan Brown. Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code are great reads,

gail x

ps it looks like all i do all the time is go on here or read....... yep about right!!!!:v_SPIN:

yep me too! and stuff my face with chocalate, ha ha , got to pass the time waiting for this visa ! :yes:

sharon.

Guest The Dobsons

The Pilot's Wife is a good one, can't recall author right now - interesting, gripping and a twist - a can't put downer!

Also just finished Sons and Lovers - classic D H Lawrence - beautifully tender! and now reading Hi Fidelity - all quite different!

Will be trying some of these recommendations though! Thanks

Guest Misty

Hi,

Hope it isn't too late to join this thread - only joined POI a week or so ago, have just come across this, and as I'm a librarian, well........

Just spent the best part of 8 years doing children's work, and have read some fantastic children's books, however I'm now working at the other end of the scale (repsonsible for services to older people) which means I'm allowed to read 'gown-up' books again! This thread has been good as it has given me a few ideas to start on.

Just working my way through Gervase Phinn's autobiography series - my elderly neighbour has been nagging me for years to read them as she loves them. Thought I'd give one a go just so I could tell her I had, but am on the third now (Head Over Heels in the Dales). Just gentle tales oo one guy's experiences as a school inspector in Yorkshire. Lovely and gentle, but with great humour. Not too taxing, which is what I need right now!

And as I'm going to Oz I keep getting recommended books with an Oz theme, so have The Dig Tree by Sarah Murgatroyd sat waiting at home. Anyone read that one?

Best wishes,

Cheryl

hi cheryl, never to late to talk books have not read any of the ones you mentioned, the first ones sound interesting though! are they like james herriot? style i mean! if you like travel style books try mark whallington the boogie series they are so funny all across england the pennines etc with his dog boogie!! not sure if i spelt his surname right though. all the best

sharon.

Guest diesellisle

Evening all,

Room for one more? Another family of booklovers here too. OH and I have totally opposite tastes when it comes to what we read - he like Terry Pratchett and other things along that vein. He is currently working his way through a James Bond boxset...

I like a bit of everything, including Bill Bryson (I just love his books), some chick lit and classics like 'The Great Gatsby'. One of the best books that I have read lately is 'Relentless' by Simon Kernick. I literally could not put it down and couldn't read it fast enough. I have pulled the blurb off the web for anyone interested. I wouldn't normally read a book like this but it was seriously good. We have a bit of a book club where I work, and everyone who read this one gave it a good rating.

John Meron, a happily married father of two who's never been in trouble, receives a phone call that will change his life for ever: his friend Jack Calley, a high-flying City lawyer, is screaming down the phone for help. As Meron listens, Calley is murdered. His last words, spoken to his killer, are the first two lines of Meron's address. Confused and terrified, Meron scoops up his children and hurries out of the house. Just in time. Within minutes, a car pulls up outside, and three men get out. It's clear that they're coming for him. He's being hunted and has no idea why. And with his wife missing, an unidentified corpse in her office, and the police after him for murder, his life's about to get one hell of a lot worse.

On the lighter side, I love reading 'The Hungry Caterpillar', 'The Gruffalo' and 'Room on the Broom' with my boys - any recommendations for other kid's books would be welcomed!

Take care all and I look forward to reading about what everyone else is reading!

Lisa X

hi lisa i would deff go for that book its my sort of thing love thrillers , just finished a julie garwood book called killjoy. brilliant... and started a new one by nikki french the red room scary!!

sharon.

Guest Clarinsred

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, Strawberry Feilds and Two Caravans, all by Marina Lewycka are hilarious, I read these on holiday and got so many strange looks on the beach for laughing out loud. :biglaugh: (even my OH enjoyed these and he's not a reader)

Susan Lewis writes a good trashy story: A Class Apart and Stolen Begginings, were both very good.

Guest Misty

Sharon - yes the Gervase Phinn are very James Herriott really. Just children that are the stars rather than the animals. Fair share of farmers make an appearance too!

Lisa - so many fantastic children's books I wouldn't know where to start. We'll all have our favourites, but these are a few of mine of the top of my head, which I used to use a lot for storytime sessions:

Aaaarrgghh, Spider! by Lydia Monks (great for screaming!)

Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough (several others in series too)

Down by the cool of the pool - by Tony Mitton (great for actions)

Shark in the Park - by Nick Sharratt (especially if you can go all Blue Peter and make 'telescopes' to use along with it from kitchen roll inners!)

Pants! - by Nick Sharratt

Bear Snores On - by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman

Aliens Love Underpants - by Claire Freedman (there's also Dinosaurs Love Underpants now too)

Cock-a-moo-moo by Juliet Dallas-Conte (a confused cockerel - great for silly noises)

The Teddy Robber - by Ian Beck

Russell the Sheep - by Rob Scotton (several others in this series too - I LOVE Russell!!)

I could go on, and on, and on........ love the three you mentioned too - used those a lot,

Cheryl