Four more "sleeps"* and I'll be in Perth for the first time in 21 years!

MARYROSE02

* I would normally say "five more days" but I've noticed from the cruise forums that excited cruisers refer to "sleeps." I'll be interested to see how Perth "grabs" me this time around. When I first arrived in November, 1978, I loved it although I couldn't get a job. The last time I was there, in January, 1997, I only had a couple of jet-lagged days so it wasn't really enough to get a handle on the place.

I'll be making my way to Perth itself from the airport to pick up my hire car from "No Birds" (Bayswater Cars) so no booze on the plane. I might be on Valium anyway depending on whether I'm still a nervous flyer. There is a bus from the airport to the CBD I understand? The lady from "No Birds" (contradiction there?) told me about that. It's possible that the lady I'm meeting in Perth might pick me up from the airport although I've not asked her to do so. I may try to do without a car some of the time. I think the essentials - cafes and pub - the Windsor - are walking distance from my apartment - Assured Waterside Apartments, in I think, Melville Pde. Pub trivia on Tuesday nights at the Windsor. If my friend is busy I might go to Paddy McGuires in Subiaco to watch Spurs.

I think the plan is for a week or so in Perth, followed by five nights in Margaret River, then back to Perth again. I wonder if Perth will seem like a smaller version of Sydney or something completely different. Do Perth people look down at "Easties" the way that we in Sydney look down on "Westies" (people who live west of Parramatta). I hope to find out although to be honest, since I worked at Penrith, and now Parramatta, I rather like the west, and the south west where my brother lives near Camden, even if it's like going to the bush to get there - 55 km to Penrith and similar to Campbelltown. My brother likes suburbia but I don't care for it, preferring to live very close to the city with everything either walking distance or with good public transport.

I should have asked PB to come out and show me around!

• Like 2

Enjoy your trip Perth is ever evolving as a city, it's changed in the time I have been here and continues to grow the CBD won't even compare to Sydney totally different vibe much more laid back. Make sure you head to Freo great day and night and usually something going on. Margs will be stunning because it is stunning. We are down there between Christmas and new year for a few days relaxing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/11/2018 at 17:48, Brit Girl said:

Are you still in Perth Mary Rose or have you gone back to Sydney?

Brit Girl

Sorry, I only just saw your post today - 20 Feb and the others too. I only had my phone when I was in Perth and I did not do much on PIO whilst I was there. I was there on 1/11/18. I was supposed to go back to Sydney on 6 Jan but I extended my holiday by three weeks and came back to Sydney on 28 January.

Much as I enjoyed Perth one thing that stuffed me up was developing insomnia just before I left Sydney and when I went down to Margaret River I was unable to drive more than a few minutes without needing to pull over and nap. It would not have been a problem had I been on my own and neither would it have been a problem if my friend had been able to drive but she had a crook leg.

We had a nice house in MR but it was too far - for me anyway - from the town centre itself - a good half an hour walk. We went to Nannup and Manniup, Augusta, Dunsborough, Bunbury, so I got see a bit of country WA.

I'm planning to go back to Perth on 28 April for five weeks - to build a bit more of my Perth "jigsaw" to which I've assembled a few pieces but there are still too many gaps.

I still don't get this "isolation" thing that some people go on about. I'm isolated from Melbourne and Brisbane living in Sydney as both are 600 miles away but I never go to either of them anyway. so if I lived in Perth why would it be any different? 2,500 miles to Sydney but it's not like I need to go once a week.

• Like 2