Sleepless night

Guest portugal99

Guest portugal99

My oh has just signed contract for job on 457. House has been on market for 4 weeks and we have just told some of our family of our plans. Over the weekend a family member has said very interested in house and wants to buy.

My 13 year old has been burying head in sand over impending move and has now realised that it may happen and is not happy about it at all.

I have had a sleepless night worrying am I doing the right thing taking her away from friends and family. I know she will make friends easy once over there and I think will have more opportunities in the future.

Just wondered has anybody else felt like this?? Did you make the move? Are you settled and did you do the right thing??

Mel

Guest Curlysoo

First of all CONGRATULATIONS on the job contract AND the possible house sale!:yes:

Now the 13 year old! VERY few teenagers embrace change in their lives, coz they HATE change ...... remember the reasons you want to go to Oz ..... get the child involved in the section of PIO for the kids, making new friends etc ..... and faiing that ...blackmail of some long wanted item may just swing the balance!

Good luck and let us know how things go.:spinny:

Guest portugal99

Thanks Sue,

I have tried the pio kids but shes not interested "doesn't wanna know". I just can't bear to see her upset and I suppose look back to when i was 13 (a long time ago) and can empathise with her. But shes a very sociable girl and makes friends easily. If all else fails i will try the bribe.

Mel

If you have tried Curlysoo's idea and your daughter is having none of it, then I really do think bribe no.2. is in order (lol), it does appear that children are very materialistic (love em) and when shown a nice house and especially if it has a pool, that they could be living in, it sort of sways them.

My niece was 12 when they went to Australia she really did not want to go and clung to my door crying saying she wanted to stay with me. Like your daughter she is very outgoing made friends in no time at all and loves the Aussie lifestyle as she has more freedom there.

I know it's hard but you cannot stay here because a child wants you too, dont forget when they are grown up they will just go they will not be wondering how you are going to be with it! They will do what suits them.

I am sure she will come round once she is there and settled, she is just apprehensive about the unknown and who wouldnt be.

Good Luck hope it goes well for you all

Hi.

I agree with the others. The most important constant in your daughters life is you. As long as you are there, calm and settled then so will your daughter be. It may take her a while but it will happen. Kids are smart. If it's something you want she's bound to be against it!

Don't forget it is her best interests you have at heart. You're not moving to ruin her life! She'll thank you one day!

Good luck.

Kate

Hi, congratulations on the job offer. We knew which aread we'd be coming to and had already enrolled my daughter in school - the principle was great and sorted her out with an e-pal before she came. This girl via msn introduced her to other new classmates and by the time she arrived, she felt as if she 'knew' some people and was actually looking forward to starting school. Over the year she then forged her own friendships. She moved to High School in January and her friendship group now are people who went to a different school altogether. I feel quite lucky that my children both settled so quickly, I'd like to think we had something to do with it .... but probably that kids are far more resilient than we give them credit for. In the first few months, my daughter was on msn all the time, talking to mates in England ... now it's not as often, although she still stays in touch with them. We gave our daughter her own leaving party too ... which she loved.

Good luck

Ali

Archived