Is 100K enough for a couple in Sydney with these conditions ?

AnotherUser

Hi community :) Thank you for accepting me to this forum, amazing topics over here.

I have been offered a job in Sydney with 100.000$ (QA Engineer 7 years experience) as a yearly gross salary.

Is it enough for a good living, taking in consideration :

- Married and wife is not working.
- Have to travel to Spain twice a year for family and parents visit.
- Be able to save some money and do some activities over the weekend.

I've seen the renting prices are high, what do you think ?o.O

Thank you for the help :notworthy:

Rent prices ARE high and I personally think 100k with a stay at home wife and wanting 2 trips back to Spain will not really provide you with a fairly decent standard of living, let alone savings. It can/could be done depending on what you are going to class a good living!!! The return flight off season may be around the $4k mark for the both of you, not sure if you have children as you have not mentioned. But I did chat with a family who did the trip to the UK over xmas and it was around the 10k figure for them and 2 kids.

Does the 100k include Super or is Super on top of that?

Is the company providing your healthcare?

• Like 3

Another point, how much annual leave as if you want two trips back a year that’s going to eat up the holiday. And most likely mean you’ll have little to none left for other trips or time off. Only taking holidays back to your home country can get wearing after a while IMHO. Holidays are just that and it’s good to be able to have time to go elsewhere.

Thank you so much for the replies, this helped to decline the job offer as it seems to be that I will not be able to maintain my current lifestyle eventhough it would be amazing to live in Australia.

Great community Thank you all for your time and responses:notworthy:

Hopefully this feed will help others who may have the same question.

• Like 3

I was going to echo Toots however see you've already made your decision. 100k sounds a lot, but, in Sydney that would disappear fast. If you wife was working it might have been a different story, obviously depending on her earnings. Definitely a great idea to research thoroughly and look at all the angles before making the decision, as you have done. Wish you all the best with future adventures!

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of points which helped me answer that question too: 

• 20 days annual leave a year, means 2 trips a year would eat up your annual leave and leave no holidays apart from weekends. Myself and my wife go back each year and that takes up 3 weeks of my annual hols for just one trip then when you go back to work you are really jetlagged; 
  • in the UK the firm paid for my private health insurance, in Oz I am paying for this myself which is $300 pm;
  • $100k a year gross salary is a good salary so well done on that, however with one income carries alot of risk given the high cost of living; 
  • in Oz, there isn't the cheap labour available that you get in the UK, therefore nannies and the like are very expensive in comparison. An english friend of mine wanted to get some tiling done in his laundry and bathrooms and he got a quote of $50k...ha ha, I will think about it :)