What did you do in Tassie today?

Bound4Tassie

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2019 at 13:46, Toots said:

Quirky mailboxes are aplenty out in the countryside too.  😀

mailbox1.jpeg

mailbox2.jpg

mailbox3.jpg

I went to visit a friend in the little  town of Wilmot yesterday.  There are loads of quirky letter boxes in the area.  Many are similar to the following ones.

post box1.jpg

post box2.jpg

post box3.jpg

post box4.jpg

post box5.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Toots said:

Spent some time here earlier this morning.  https://www.bigearsanimalsanctuary.com/

We sponsored Sally the donkey.  The vet thinks she is over 30 years old going by the state of her teeth.  Donkeys can live to over 40.

sally.jpg

I wish I'd known about that sanctuary when we were in Launceston earlier this year. I'm currently on a flight to Hobart, pretty impressed with Virgin's inflight wi-fi 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

I wish I'd known about that sanctuary when we were in Launceston earlier this year. I'm currently on a flight to Hobart, pretty impressed with Virgin's inflight wi-fi 

Hope you brought your winter woolies with you.  Maybe Hobart is warmer than here on the north west coast.  It's been cold here the past few days.  Enjoy your holiday!! 😀

Edited by Toots

4 minutes ago, libbye said:

So happy to know there is a donkey sanctuary. I have subscribed to the one in uk and now almost back in aus will do the same now for aus. Hope i get to visit.

Big Ears Sanctuary is for ALL animals.  There are also geese, ducks and rescued battery hens.  

How are you Libby?

• Like 1

What do you mean "closer to civilization"?     NZ is very civilised.   Or do you mean cheaper to fly elsewhere/overseas for holidays?

My (late) husband waxed lyrical about moving from Tassie to NZ after several motorbike tours there:  he loved their roads for motorcycling. 😀  It wasn't a real option at the time as he had both elderly parents still living here.   I'm not sure how I'd feel about living with the constant threat of earthquakes there.  Or even if it would be economically feasible now:  I believe NZ is tightening its laws about foreigners buying property (and even more expensive than Oz in some places).    

• Like 1

My nephew lives in Queenstown NZ.  My brother bought a house there for his retirement but sadly died before that happened.  I prefer the south Island though as Skani said earthquakes are a threat.  I also think the cost of living is higher than Australia.  It used to be VERY much more expensive than Australia but not so bad now.  

• Like 1

On 05/07/2019 at 10:56, Toots said:

I went to visit a friend in the little  town of Wilmot yesterday.  There are loads of quirky letter boxes in the area.  Many are similar to the following ones.

post box1.jpg

post box2.jpg

post box3.jpg

post box4.jpg

post box5.jpg

I love the quirky mailboxes here! I was disappointed to have to put up a quick mitre 10 job when we moved in. I will vow to replace it with something more interesting! 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We've just come back from a week in the south west of Tassie.  Beautiful area   .................  was surprised how many Poms are living there.  Our good friends (from NSW) moved to Dover last September and are settled happily there.  My friend took this photo of Adamsons Peak (which you can see from their house) last November when it had snow at the top.

adamsons peak dover, tas.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday we took a drive to Cape Grim on the far north west tip of Tassie.  It''s nearly 200 km from Devonport.  We went to the Cape Grim Air Pollution Station which monitors and studies global atmospheric composition.  Cape Grim has some of the world's cleanest air.  There is also a wind farm there.  Cape Grim cattle graze on the  lush grass and are well known to be GMO free, hormone free and antibiotic free and are mainly Angus and Herefords.

We had a bite at the Marrawah tavern where a man was murdered a few years ago and that murder has never been solved.  He was helping his partner clear up at the end of the night and when he took the rubbish out to the bins he was shot three times. 😬  Could have been drug related - who knows.  Quite a shock for the population of 300.  Marrawah also renowned for its good surf beach. 

Picture 1. Air Pollution Station  -  Picture 2. Cattle at Cape Grim   -    Picture 3.  Surfing at Marrawah  -  Picture 4.  The Marrawah tavern

cape grim wind farm.jpg

cape grim cattle1.jpg

marrawah surfing.jpg

marrawah tavern.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...