What did you do in Tassie today?

Bound4Tassie

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, libbye said:

Disappointing but I won't now be coming to live in Tassie.  Change of circumstances .  Have enjoyed seeing all the photos and learning more about the place

I thought was going to be home.  C'est la vie.   bye everyone. xxx

Keep in touch Libby - does that mean you are staying in France or as Marisa asks are you going to Ballarat to be close to your daughter?

No I'm not coming at all.  I think I've made the right decision but was really looking forward to coming to Tas not so much Ballarat al;though

it would have been near my daughter. It's not a place I really favour but felt Tas was close enough for her to visit now and again.  However,

not to be so now onto the next phase of my life. The money I was having to spend to bring all my goods over will now contribute towards both girls coming 

to visit me this side of the world instead.  Am looking forward to that when I find somewhere to live!

Look after yourselves everyone and I'm sad I won't be meeting you.

42 minutes ago, libbye said:

No I'm not coming at all.  I think I've made the right decision but was really looking forward to coming to Tas not so much Ballarat al;though

it would have been near my daughter. It's not a place I really favour but felt Tas was close enough for her to visit now and again.  However,

not to be so now onto the next phase of my life. The money I was having to spend to bring all my goods over will now contribute towards both girls coming 

to visit me this side of the world instead.  Am looking forward to that when I find somewhere to live!

Look after yourselves everyone and I'm sad I won't be meeting you.

As long as you are comfortable with your decision, that's all that matter Libby.  

Very best wishes   xx

1 hour ago, libbye said:

No I'm not coming at all. 

So you are staying in France?   To be honest, I think that sounds like a wise decision.  You're established there and you know how everything works - plus you won't have the huge costs of moving to the other side of the world.   I understand the initial reaction of wanting to be close to your daughter, now you don't have your beloved partner by your side - but if you loved living in France before, then it would be a shame to leave it now. 

I did worry about you moving to Tasmania too - while It sounds close to Melbourne in theory, in practice I suspect your daughter would have travelled back and forth less often than you think.  So you might still have found yourself isolated.

Good luck with your move.

Edited by Marisawright

It's funny you should say that.  Everyone has said the same thing but hadn't said anything before because they didn't want to influence me.

the person who caused my changed of mind has probably done me a favour as I too feel more comfortable with my decision.  I agree on reflection

although whilst in a retirement village it takes time to establish friendships and not so easy at 80.  I have some wonderful friends here nd although

my french is abysmal I manage.  Brexit could upset the apple cart but I could be long gone by the time they get their act together!

Thank you for your post.  Nice to have been in touch and I feel sure what you have written is correct.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ten Days on the Island is Tasmania’s state wide arts festival. I went to a performance on the beach at sunrise this morning  to 'celebrate the first light of day with music, dance and poetry'.  There was a large group of Japanese drummers who were really very good.  There was also a ceremony to acknowledge the significance and history of the North West coastline to its Traditional Custodians and local Aboriginal communities. 

Local beach at sunrise.

the bluff.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

We are off to visit a friend in the little town of Sheffield 16 miles from Devonport.  It's in the middle of beef and lamb farming country.  Sheffield is quite well known for murals on some of the town's buildings.  They depict the history of the town.

Sheffield and a few of the murals.

sheffield6.jpg

sheffield1.jpg

sheffield2.jpg

sheffield4.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

We are off to visit a friend in the little town of Sheffield 16 miles from Devonport.  It's in the middle of beef and lamb farming country.  Sheffield is quite well known for murals on some of the town's buildings.  They depict the history of the town.

Sheffield and a few of the murals.

sheffield6.jpg

sheffield1.jpg

sheffield2.jpg

sheffield4.jpg

One of the many things I love about Australia are the murals that you find in many small townships as you drive around the country, and the small museums full of memorabilia, and the painted silos. 

Those are stunning.

• Like 1

Very strange.  Our electricity went off last night for a while and when I opened up emails this morning low and behold loads of photos and pics I haven't received before some dating back to 2018!  Great to see them all and what some of you have been up to.  Plans forging ahead here for my impending move.  Hope you are all fit and happy!

For such a small island Tasmania has so much going for it .  Love the paintings. Here in Brttany they do a lot of this as well which is quite charming.

Adds character to a place. The letterboxes are extraordinary.  What imagination.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, libbye said:

For such a small island Tasmania has so much going for it .  Love the paintings. Here in Brttany they do a lot of this as well which is quite charming.

Adds character to a place. The letterboxes are extraordinary.  What imagination.

Tasmania is as big as Ireland or Switzerland so it's bigger than a lot of people think.  Just found this info:

If it was its own independent country, it would be ranked the 112th biggest in the world. While that doesn't initially sound very impressive, what this means is that Australia's smallest state is still bigger than more than half the countries in the world! It is bigger than countries such as Serbia, Austria, Czech Republic, Ireland, Sri Lanka, and the combined area of both Denmark and the Netherlands.

Edited by Toots