Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Bound4Tassie

What did you do in Tassie today?

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, libbye said:

Can you enjoy lovely walks in Tas ?  Obviously the beaches look fabulous for this but I was wondering if you have access to country walks through

open land and forests.  

Oh yes - heaps.  For example there are over 90 walks in this guide below for the greater Hobart area alone.  You can enter preferences such as how long, how easy etc. and it will produce a selection.

https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/

As well of course there are many national parks.  This page has a link to each park and clicking on "Activities" in each park will give details of shorter walks.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=236

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

Enjoying the view of Oyster Cove now that the rain has stopped :D

 

I sort of apologise for the rain.  ;)  On the other hand, it has been so dry down here over summer....we do really need it.  Have to admit it was delicious lying in bed this morning listening to it on the roof.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Skani said:

Oh yes - heaps.  For example there are over 90 walks in this guide below for the greater Hobart area alone.  You can enter preferences such as how long, how easy etc. and it will produce a selection.

https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/

As well of course there are many national parks.  This page has a link to each park and clicking on "Activities" in each park will give details of shorter walks.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=236

Gosh what a diverse place it is.  Wish I'd discovered it years ago.  Hindsight a wonderful thing.  Don't regret but think we could have made life easier

for ourselves had we chosen a different path.  C;'est la vie!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Skani said:

I sort of apologise for the rain.  ;)  On the other hand, it has been so dry down here over summer....we do really need it.  Have to admit it was delicious lying in bed this morning listening to it on the roof.  

Well it made a nice change to complaining about the heat ?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tv is showing a new commercial advertising Tasmania and it's rather good.  Look out for the tourists!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday we stayed in the restored hydro electric town of Tarraleah. We had a gorgeous room in the beautiful Art Deco Lodge, hubby thought one night wasn’t enough and he was right, the whole place is immaculate.

 

A2BA798D-7B12-4F9F-93F7-BA40F57FC6D2.jpeg

A031A0F1-BCCC-460B-A20B-E36C5BF49A12.jpeg

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

Yesterday we stayed in the restored hydro electric town of Tarraleah. We had a gorgeous room in the beautiful Art Deco Lodge, hubby thought one night wasn’t enough and he was right, the whole place is immaculate.

 

The entire village is for sale - if he wants a few more nights :biggrin::

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/property/tarraleah-tas-7140-2012707761

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent this afternoon at Cradle Mountain. It was a lovely sunny day but the wind was positively icy ❄️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cradle does icy very well.  ;)

 

CradlePierreDestribats.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a magnificent photo.   Uk is in a big freeze but where we are in France we've had very little snow.  Others places not so lucky.  Just our luck though

the central heating has failed.  Waiting for the plumber!  

Do you normally have snow so early?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a photo from a year or two ago...I love it because of the colours.  It was actually taken by a French photographer, Pierre Destribats.  Snow in the mountains is possible at any time of the year, though:   Tasmanian weather is very unpredictable.   I was thinking of you and expecting you to be snowed in.  :biggrin:   Awful timing for the central heating.  I hope you at least have a log fire to cuddle up to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A couple of friends and I went to visit another friend in St Helens on the east coast yesterday. We drove through the vineyards in the Tamar Valley then through miles and miles of forests mostly containing sassafras, myrtle, beech and huge tree ferns. We drove over The Sidling which has a very steep climb with hairpin bends to negotiate so isn't the easiest drive but the views are spectacular. Towards Scottsdale it's dairy farming country and also fields of hops. We stopped for lunch at Pyengana – went for lunch at the cheese factory there then on to St Helens where we spent the night. We came home today via Scamander – lovely beaches - St Marys, Fingal, Perth and on to Devonport.

 

pyengana.jpg

005.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by Toots
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely stunning scenery and so peaceful.  Did you buy any cheese?  What a perfect existence.  Hard work but so worth it.  Thank you for sharing.  It was a joy

to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, libbye said:

Absolutely stunning scenery and so peaceful.  Did you buy any cheese?  What a perfect existence.  Hard work but so worth it.  Thank you for sharing.  It was a joy

to see.

I bought some cheddar also a cone of some of the best strawberry ice cream I've had for a long time. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent this morning in Cataract Gorge, the weather was perfect ?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You lucky people.  What a lovely way to while away the day.  You must have so many beautiful places to visit and on such a small island too. Fantastic!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

trip to tasman peninsula yesterday, first time since 2010. lovely scenery ;)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’ve been in Hobart for our last 2 days in Tasmania, staying near the waterfront.  The Salamanca area has such a great atmosphere, we spotted a polar supply ship yesterday and today the ‘Young Endeavour’ tall ship is docked.

Back home tomorrow ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Drumbeat said:

we spotted a polar supply ship yesterday

This big orange "Aurora Australis"?    I hope you really enjoyed your time here.

(PS:  not my photo..by a pro called Stu Gibson who specialises mostly in amazing surf photography)

HobartStuGibson.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Skani said:

This big orange "Aurora Australis"?    I hope you really enjoyed your time here.

(PS:  not my photo..by a pro called Stu Gibson who specialises mostly in amazing surf photography)

HobartStuGibson.jpg

No, it was red. We looked it up and it’s the French L’Astralobe. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had lunch in a cafe at Beauty Point today.  The Tamar River is so much bigger than I thought.  In some parts it looks more like a lake.

 

beauty point.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, libbye said:

Absolutely beautiful.

I really appreciate it too.  After spending a few days in Sydney I was so glad to get back here again.  Nice to see old friends and neighbours but it's just so busy and noisy.  As you have probably guessed I am NOT a city person.  :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×