simmo

The Official Weather Thread

7 hours ago, simmo said:

Until anyone has been in the middle of a field in newly liberated East Germany, lighting bonfires in piles of sand so you can can lay bricks with it and having 6 inches of snow on your back and snot freezing on your face.,. Don't tell me about cold!

Even the sea was freezing over.

My husband worked in Germany too for a while but he has never told me about how cold it was.  He wasn't in East Germany though.

When I worked in Norfolk we had thick snow over one Christmas and New Year.  My boss took his wife and children skiing in Switzerland for that Christmas and there was no snow there at all.   

24 minutes ago, ramot said:

So did I, but probably a lot earlier than you  from about 1948-1952. I have a photo of me on skies and I was pretty small. 

1E0218B4-9BD1-44AD-A0AF-ED1A6AC0EE94.jpeg

• Like 5

Perth is like a UK summer at the moment......... But I don't want this to turn into an Oz v UK thing.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

1 hour ago, tonyman said:

Perth is like a UK summer at the moment......... But I don't want this to turn into an Oz v UK thing.........

Did you know that Brisbane has more annual rainfall than London?  Although Brisbaine's rain is "warm rain" so doesn't count.

😉

Edited by simmo

2 hours ago, ramot said:

So did I, but probably a lot earlier than you  from about 1948-1952. I have a photo of me on skies and I was pretty small. 

I was there for nearly three years in the early 70’s.  Lots of happy memories. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyman said:

Brisbane winter is like a UK summer every year - minus the wet days - and with shorter daylight hours. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

9 hours ago, Toots said:

My husband worked in Germany too for a while but he has never told me about how cold it was.  He wasn't in East Germany though.

When I worked in Norfolk we had thick snow over one Christmas and New Year.  My boss took his wife and children skiing in Switzerland for that Christmas and there was no snow there at all.   

Worked at point of Ayer mine  facing out to Irish Sea building a coal to oil development plant got down to -26 , frozen sea , snow blizzards, excavators frozen to ground it was unreal . This lasted for about 4 weeks, we could manage 45 min a time outside then inside for 10 to thaw out. 
I quite like the heat in Oz after this 😂

• Like 3

16 hours ago, simmo said:

Until anyone has been in the middle of a field in newly liberated East Germany, lighting bonfires in piles of sand so you can can lay bricks with it and having 6 inches of snow on your back and snot freezing on your face.,. Don't tell me about cold!

Even the sea was freezing over.

Feeling it , just reading about it 

cold is not good 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tonyman said:

Sunniest capital city in the world mate👍 couldn't ever handle the grey skies again! 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Feeling it , just reading about it 

cold is not good 

I don't mind a bit of cold frosty weather but hated sleet and icy rain.  

Here today it is a lovely sunny day but not warm - not cold enough for gloves yet mind you.  😎

9 minutes ago, Toots said:

I don't mind a bit of cold frosty weather but hated sleet and icy rain.  

Here today it is a lovely sunny day but not warm - not cold enough for gloves yet mind you.  😎

Beautiful day here in the hunter 

20 at the moment, just laying my granite pavers finishing drive off 

still got the shorts on love these temps 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

You get good snow in Germany.  Better if you’re a kid having fun playing in it, not working like you were. I lived there for a few years when I was a child.  

Same, we did 3 and a 1/2 years there.  Don’t remember much except snow piling up against my hospital window at Xmas time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Sunniest capital city in the world mate👍 couldn't ever handle the grey skies again! 😎

Canberra a fraction behind, in second place.

• Haha 1

20s are perfect. It makes me laugh when people brag about temps being in the high 30s .  Hiding indoors or hopping from one piece of shade to the next, dressed head toe ensuring no skin (that hasn't got an inch of lardy sunscreen on it) is exposed - is not fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bulya said:

Canberra a fraction behind, in second place.

Really I didn't know that!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, simmo said:

20s are perfect. It makes me laugh when people brag about temps being in the high 30s .  Hiding indoors or hopping from one piece of shade to the next, dressed head toe ensuring no skin (that hasn't got an inch of lardy sunscreen on it) is exposed - is not fun.

🤣🤣

Very clear bright blue skies today but very cold. We don't get the frost anymore these days though. 

9 hours ago, simmo said:

20’s are perfect. If I could chose the ideal I’d say mid 20’s.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

20’s are perfect. If I could chose the ideal I’d say mid 20’s.  

20 -25c for me 

We have a real sun trap where we are , and I will put up some temps later in the year ,if we get them , in full sun 

It gets ridiculous 

That's when I head for the shade .

No love for high 30s and up 

• Like 1

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

10 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Very clear bright blue skies today but very cold. We don't get the frost anymore these days though. 

We certainly will. It's only Autumn.

Wait till late June and July.

I want it all, and I want it now.

19 hours ago, simmo said:

Nothing over 25C for me.  

Simmo it doesn't stop the Brits from loving the high temps in Greece and Spain during summer.   I was in Greece when it was 40C and visiting my sister when she lived in Cyprus it never went below 35C during the day.  She loved it.  I didn't.  Some people just love the hot sun.  Even here in Tassie, I was always sitting in the shade chatting away to my sister when she was here but she was lapping up the sun.  It doesn't get over 25C here very often though.  My Mum was the same - she loved hot weather.  My brother worked for years in hot countries but he was like me - he kept in the shade as much as possible.  I enjoy the colder winters here but many people here pack up and move to Qld for the winter months.  We are all different in how we enjoy warmer weather.

Yes I was one of those people hopping from one piece of shade to the next on the mainland but I never dressed in head to toe coverings.  😄  For an old dame, my skin is fine.  I get it checked every year just in case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

20 -25c for me 

We have a real sun trap where we are , and I will put up some temps later in the year ,if we get them , in full sun 

It gets ridiculous 

That's when I head for the shade .

No love for high 30s and up 

Our back garden is the same.  Sheltered and a suntrap.  Nice in the morning but a bit too hot for me in the afternoon.

Must be cold on the Sunny Coast, as I’ve started my winter breakfast of porridge. We reckon there is a 10’ difference between how cold the back of the house is in comparison to the front which gets the sun in winter. We win in summer though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toots said:

Nothing over 25C for me.  

Simmo it doesn't stop the Brits from loving the high temps in Greece and Spain during summer.   I was in Greece when it was 40C and visiting my sister when she lived in Cyprus it never went below 35C during the day.  She loved it.  I didn't.  Some people just love the hot sun.  Even here in Tassie, I was always sitting in the shade chatting away to my sister when she was here but she was lapping up the sun.  It doesn't get over 25C here very often though.  My Mum was the same - she loved hot weather.  My brother worked for years in hot countries but he was like me - he kept in the shade as much as possible.  I enjoy the colder winters here but many people here pack up and move to Qld for the winter months.  We are all different in how we enjoy warmer weather.

Yes I was one of those people hopping from one piece of shade to the next on the mainland but I never dressed in head to toe coverings.  😄  For an old dame, my skin is fine.  I get it checked every year just in case.

Same with many poms in Australia, Germans and skandies in the Costas. No need to single out the Brits.

7 hours ago, Parley said:

We certainly will. It's only Autumn.

Wait till late June and July.

I hear it was 4 degrees the other day, my son said he’d never felt so cold. I told him he’d gone all soft and reminded him of early morning starts on his daily paper round as a teenager all those years ago. Hands so cold they’d sting like mad when you got back into the warm.

• Like 1