simmo

The Official Weather Thread

2 hours ago, Rossmoyne said:

@Toots... I talked to Bottler just an hour ago... all well where she lives.  Her house is high on a hill and overlooks so much of the valley and she can see what is happening.   The winds have been so strong and blowing from the east.   Winds here now in suburban Perth are non existent, and we are all hoping that this is the same in the fire area so they can fight it and bring it under control.  I will keep you up to date about Bottler as she is a very dear friend and I am so worried about her safety right now.

Say high from me, and to  keep safe x M

4 hours ago, Drumbeat said:

We are safe here, thank you for thinking of  us ❤️. Unfortunately the fire is still out of control and moving south westerly, it's very smoky here now. Several houses have been lost, I feel for the residents.

Stay safe xM

• Like 1

The winds were really strong last night and the fire is still out of control moving towards Bullsbrook. Winds still gusty this morning.

Lost house count up to 71. 

Few rumours going around social media on how it started. My wife told me one was fireworks from someones party. There are a few stupid people around.

Stay safe and don't take any chances if you live in the areas affected. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

The winds were really strong last night and the fire is still out of control moving towards Bullsbrook. Winds still gusty this morning.

Lost house count up to 71. 

Few rumours going around social media on how it started. My wife told me one was fireworks from someones party. There are a few stupid people around.

Stay safe and don't take any chances if you live in the areas affected. 

81 and expected to rise.  Not good

19 hours ago, Bulya said:

81 and expected to rise.  Not good

Yep. Strong winds again today, those firefighters and pilots are doing a fantastic job, the fixed wing, fire retardent droppers are flying over our place constantly. They have to fly down to Bunbury airport to get reloaded with retardent, long days for those guys.

Good news is there's rain headed this way from tomorrow, good falls predicted. At the moment it's still a strong Easterly wind and sunny, so better get the last ocean swim for a few days in this morning 

On 02/02/2021 at 20:06, ramot said:

Say high from me, and to  keep safe x M

Will do.

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

Totally enjoying the past 3 days of rain in Perth.   Not only has it helped the Firies take control of the fire burning north east of Perth, but it totally extinguished the fire in Yallingup (south west near Margaret River) that had been deliberately lit.

My garden is just drinking it up, and Bottler's water tank is filling up nicely so she won't have to buy water for a while!  

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 1

......Just trying to be helpful so don't shoot me down if my personal views do not coincide with yours! :animal-dog:

45 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

Totally enjoying the past 3 days of rain in Perth.   Not only has it helped the Firies take control of the fire burning north east of Perth, but it totally extinguished the fire in Yallingup (south west near Margaret River) that had been deliberately lit.

My garden is just drinking it up, and Bottler's water tank is filling up nicely so she won't have to buy water for a while!  

The good thing about rain and cooler weather at this time of year is you know it's only going to be short lived and sunny weather will return in a couple of days.😎

• Haha 1

23 max today???  It would normally be high 30’s.  It shouldn’t be cool and damp at this time of year, the weather is just wrong...

On 08/02/2021 at 17:53, Bulya said:

23 max today???  It would normally be high 30’s.  It shouldn’t be cool and damp at this time of year, the weather is just wrong...

global warming messes with the weather

• Like 1

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

2 hours ago, Perthbum said:

It most certainly does...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Global warming, sorry, CLIMATE CHANGE, LOL.

Why did "Global Warming" replace "Clmate Change?" Because Global Warming does not explain extremes of cold. It's as if Aussies had no term for summer but it was ridiculous to call the months between December and February "winter" so they needed another term.

Britain has experienced the coldest night in a quarter of a century with temperatures of minus 23C recorded in Scotland following an “extreme freeze”. The mercury plunged to minus 23.0C on Wednesday night in the village of Braemar, Aberdeenshire making it the coldest temperature recorded in the UK since 1995

• Like 1

On 13/02/2021 at 03:02, Perthbum said:

Britain has experienced the coldest night in a quarter of a century with temperatures of minus 23C recorded in Scotland following an “extreme freeze”. The mercury plunged to minus 23.0C on Wednesday night in the village of Braemar, Aberdeenshire making it the coldest temperature recorded in the UK since 1995

Wasn't it you predicting the UK wouldn't have cold winters again due to climate change PB? I seem to remember a few posts along those lines last year.

Every 25 years wouldn't be too bad for a cold spell.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Wasn't it you predicting the UK wouldn't have cold winters again due to climate change PB? I seem to remember a few posts along those lines last year.

Paul, climate change is happening 100%, read the evidence and cold temps like this and record temperatures in Oz year in the last decade are a natural phenomenon. The UK is not having a cold winter, its just a blast from the arctic that hit Scotland, warming is happening 

Edited by Perthbum

23 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

My brother was just telling me about "wind turbines being shut down because they are frozen and the solar panels are in the same boat because of cloud cover.."

There's a certain irony there when we are told that if we don't  switch to "renewables" immediately i.e. before we beat Covid 19, the whole planet will die because of global warming. Sorry! 'Climate Change!" They needed to change the term to take into account cold weather extremes.

7 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

My brother was just telling me about "wind turbines being shut down because they are frozen and the solar panels are in the same boat because of cloud cover.."

There's a certain irony there when we are told that if we don't  switch to "renewables" immediately i.e. before we beat Covid 19, the whole planet will die because of global warming. Sorry! 'Climate Change!" They needed to change the term to take into account cold weather extremes.

It's a bit of an eye opener for kids when they see the BHP advert that says there's 6 tons of copper needed for a wind turbine to function.

They have to have just about perfect wind speed too. Too strong they have to be shut down, too weak and they don't work, as well as being an eyesore and a blot on a lot of the British countryside.

There are places where the wind is just about perfect and you can have massive windfarms away from cities. Problem is then the infrastructure, power distribution networks needed to get the power to where it's needed. 

The installation off the Coast in the UK must have been a real Engineering challenge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Sorry! 'Climate Change!" They needed to change the term to take into account cold weather extremes.

No, they needed to change the term because they realised that so many people were too lazy and/or stupid to actually read about global warming instead of just looking at headlines.

Global warming is the correct term. Overall, the planet is warming.  Because of that, normal climatic processes are disrupted.  That creates extremes of weather - more bushfires, more hurricanes, cyclones, extreme cold and extreme heat, drought, flooding etc;  Very straightforward science.

I wouldn't worry though.  The planet is not going to die in our lifetime so you'll be fine. It's only future generations who will suffer from our inaction.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

What little summer we had this year has pretty much gone.  Early move to Autumn isn’t doing wonders for the lemons..

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

No, they needed to change the term because they realised that so many people were too lazy and/or stupid to actually read about global warming instead of just looking at headlines.

Global warming is the correct term. Overall, the planet is warming.  Because of that, normal climatic processes are disrupted.  That creates extremes of weather - more bushfires, more hurricanes, cyclones, extreme cold and extreme heat, drought, flooding etc;  Very straightforward science.

I wouldn't worry though.  The planet is not going to die in our lifetime so you'll be fine. It's only future generations who will suffer from our inaction.

There is an easy solution which Australia has continually rejected - nuclear power. We have the uranium and are happy to sell it to other countries to for their own nuclear power stations.

Too dangerous? Why have other nations embraced it? And course if global warming really IS the greatest threat to humanity in the history of the planet, well it is the lesser of two evils. 

I thought that Australia is on target to reduce its emissions but as we only produce a tiny percentage of the whole future generations need other countries to do something other than saying they will do something.

My brother tells me, from looking at figures from NASA, that the average temperature of the planet has not actually gone up in the last seventy years. It took me a while to figure out what he meant but in the first link it refers to an average temperature of 59 degrees F  in the years 1950 to 1980, and in the second link the goalposts have been moved to show an average temperature of 57 degrees F. Crafty eh?

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/29/science/temperature-for-world-rises-sharply-in-the-1980-s.html

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature

12 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Paul, climate change is happening 100%, read the evidence and cold temps like this and record temperatures in Oz year in the last decade are a natural phenomenon. The UK is not having a cold winter, its just a blast from the arctic that hit Scotland, warming is happening 

A bit more than Scotland,lol. The North of England got plenty of snow and ice too

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

A bit more than Scotland,lol. The North of England got plenty of snow and ice too

Cal x

Its winter, today is 12c and sunny, does not feel like winter, we do not get the winters we had decades ago when it was always very cold, look at the record temps in Oz over the last couple decades, warming is now considered a fact by almost all climate scientists.

On 15/02/2021 at 05:46, Perthbum said:

I tend to think your "natural phenomenon" quote is spot on PB. When has climate change not been happening?

We may be able to affect it slightly but I don't buy into scaring the kids to death by predicting doom and gloom. They have enough to worry about with social media bullying.

On 15/02/2021 at 17:01, MARYROSE02 said:

There is an easy solution which Australia has continually rejected - nuclear power. We have the uranium and are happy to sell it to other countries to for their own nuclear power stations.

Too dangerous? Why have other nations embraced it? And course if global warming really IS the greatest threat to humanity in the history of the planet, well it is the lesser of two evils. 

I thought that Australia is on target to reduce its emissions but as we only produce a tiny percentage of the whole future generations need other countries to do something other than saying they will do something.

My brother tells me, from looking at figures from NASA, that the average temperature of the planet has not actually gone up in the last seventy years. It took me a while to figure out what he meant but in the first link it refers to an average temperature of 59 degrees F  in the years 1950 to 1980, and in the second link the goalposts have been moved to show an average temperature of 57 degrees F. Crafty eh?

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/03/29/science/temperature-for-world-rises-sharply-in-the-1980-s.html

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/understanding-climate/climate-change-global-temperature

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-14/bureau-of-meteorology-chart-shows-how-temperatures-soared/11857404

23 hours ago, Bulya said:

Is there correlation between the figures for Australia and the rest of the world? If Australia reduces its emissions before the rest of the world will that have any effect on Australia's temperatures. Can we trust the ABC which always takes an "alarmist" point of view?