simmo

The Official Weather Thread

Nice today in Perth. Round of golf with the eldest this morning. Tee'd off at 7:24am and it was T shirts all the way. 'Bout time it warmed up and gets settled. 

Rottnest this weekend for a 1.5 km swim and 3 nights over there. Weathers looking good.

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

Nice today in Perth. Round of golf with the eldest this morning. Tee'd off at 7:24am and it was T shirts all the way. 'Bout time it warmed up and gets settled. 

Rottnest this weekend for a 1.5 km swim and 3 nights over there. Weathers looking good.

1.5 km swim! We might be the same age but not the same fitness! Actually, I never learnt how to "proper" stroke swimming, as in the "Australian Crawl". I have never been to Rottnest. What do you do? Park your car in Fremantle?

I had to settle how to spell Fremantle/Freemantle - there is one in Southampton!

https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/22877

6 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

1.5 km swim! We might be the same age but not the same fitness! Actually, I never learnt how to "proper" stroke swimming, as in the "Australian Crawl". I have never been to Rottnest. What do you do? Park your car in Fremantle?

I had to settle how to spell Fremantle/Freemantle - there is one in Southampton!

I could never Australian crawl until I realised I was trying to swim too fast. It's tempting to swim faster to get the next breath, but that just makes you out of breath, which makes you try and swim faster...so, the trick is to slow it down, so you can breath easily. Then as you get fitter over time, you can speed it up.

I used to work with a swimming coach. Best tip I ever got. That and don't kick too much. It uses a lot of energy and makes you out of breath. Just kick to keep balanced initially.

The objective is to swim for a decent length of time at first. Speed will come later.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 2

Nearly there! Don't drop the ball now guys! Vaccines are weeks away. Stay safe!

15 hours ago, newjez said:

I could never Australian crawl until I realised I was trying to swim too fast. It's tempting to swim faster to get the next breath, but that just makes you out of breath, which makes you try and swim faster...so, the trick is to slow it down, so you can breath easily. Then as you get fitter over time, you can speed it up.

I used to work with a swimming coach. Best tip I ever got. That and don't kick too much. It uses a lot of energy and makes you out of breath. Just kick to keep balanced initially.

The objective is to swim for a decent length of time at first. Speed will come later.

Thanks for those tips. I do sometimes experiment with putting my head down and trying to swim with those breaths every, 2 or 3 strokes. My brother bought me a pair of goggles recently but I also need ear - cannot think of the word - plugs!. I did see a few guys at Clovelly (in Sydney) swimming with a snorkel so you can swim with your head down.

I remember I was at Bronte a few months back and I don't know what I did wrong - not enough stretching, too long in the water, but later on one side of my chest hurt - HURT - for a long time.

We all learnt to swim at my junior school where we actually had a pool but for some reason it did not include any kind of stroke lessons. Perhaps the objective was just to teach us all to stay afloat. We had two beaches, at Calshot and Lepe, neither with any surf (and little sand) but Lepe had a raft to swim to.

There is a great pool in this complex, not deep but long - 70 odd paces, though i don't like pools. On the other hand I don't like the open beach for swimming at least at Surfers Paradise. I'm just too scared of the surf, rips, etc even though there are patrolled parts every few hundred metres.

I'm just a wimp which I why I liked Clovelly - no surf - although could be difficult getting in and out of the steps. If you don't know it, it has a kind of "U" shape with sand at one end, a reef at the other and concrete platforms along both sides with steps leading down at various points.l Bronte, my other favourite does have surf but it also has both a natural rock pool - the Bogey Hole - and a saltwater pool. Then there are the various harbour beaches which I also favour, mostly on the southern side.

16 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I forgot to ask if your kids speak with Aussie accents? 

16 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Which made me check, and thank you for spell check. I failed dismally! Too late to change!

16 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I had to settle how to spell Fremantle/Freemantle

The locals don't bother. It's much easier to call it "Freo" and much easier to spell.

• Like 1

Cool this morning and heading towards 26C.  Mild compared to yesterday...

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I forgot to ask if your kids speak with Aussie accents? 

Yep. The eldest was only 2 when we came and the youngest was born here. 

The youngest is the one with autism and we have a cricket match at the beach park Christmas time. 457's versus Australia😁.

The youngster decided to join in and when we went to line up with our sides I saw him wandering off towards the Aussie side. I said we're over here mate. He replied with "I'm an Aussie Paul" and lined up on the other side😂.

Both sides thought it was pretty funny.

19 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

That's just a cruise MR. Our pool swimming sessions are usually 3km+. The rotto trip is half hour swim and 2 day drinking session😉.

There are 2 pubs in the main township and both have bands on. The outdoor one finishes about 10:00 then we head to the governors bar which kicks off about 10:00. Lots of us going from the surf club so it's a good laugh.

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Thanks for those tips. I do sometimes experiment with putting my head down and trying to swim with those breaths every, 2 or 3 strokes. My brother bought me a pair of goggles recently but I also need ear - cannot think of the word - plugs!. I did see a few guys at Clovelly (in Sydney) swimming with a snorkel so you can swim with your head down.

I remember I was at Bronte a few months back and I don't know what I did wrong - not enough stretching, too long in the water, but later on one side of my chest hurt - HURT - for a long time.

We all learnt to swim at my junior school where we actually had a pool but for some reason it did not include any kind of stroke lessons. Perhaps the objective was just to teach us all to stay afloat. We had two beaches, at Calshot and Lepe, neither with any surf (and little sand) but Lepe had a raft to swim to.

There is a great pool in this complex, not deep but long - 70 odd paces, though i don't like pools. On the other hand I don't like the open beach for swimming at least at Surfers Paradise. I'm just too scared of the surf, rips, etc even though there are patrolled parts every few hundred metres.

I'm just a wimp which I why I liked Clovelly - no surf - although could be difficult getting in and out of the steps. If you don't know it, it has a kind of "U" shape with sand at one end, a reef at the other and concrete platforms along both sides with steps leading down at various points.l Bronte, my other favourite does have surf but it also has both a natural rock pool - the Bogey Hole - and a saltwater pool. Then there are the various harbour beaches which I also favour, mostly on the southern side.

I used to love going for a swim in the botanical gardens in Sydney at the Andrew (boy) Charlton pool. Great spot.

I went on a job once and was working with some ex SBS guys on garden Island. First day' after work I went for a swim. Following day the guys asked what I did the night before. When I told them where I'd been I noticed a funny exchange of glances, thought bit strange at the time. After working with them for a few days and going out for drinks with them they told me why the strange glances. The pool is a well known gay hangout in Sydney😂 I'd never really noticed as I used to run there from the hotel, swim my 3km get changed and call at a couple of pubs on the way back. After they told me I had a look round and noticed the sun bathing area at the end of the pool, where they have a load of sunbeds, had an overepresentation of guys with leopard skin budgie smugglers laying about. Not many of them went near the water mind you, just a place to hang around.

Not surprising really, considering how many gays hang around that area.

Great pool. Won a design award.

On 02/12/2020 at 09:14, Dusty Plains said:

The locals don't bother. It's much easier to call it "Freo" and much easier to spell.

Do they pronounce it like "Coo - EE" with the emphasis on the "EE?! - 'FREE  OH!? I mean FREE YOH!

22 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I used to love going for a swim in the botanical gardens in Sydney at the Andrew (boy) Charlton pool. Great spot.

I went on a job once and was working with some ex SBS guys on garden Island. First day' after work I went for a swim. Following day the guys asked what I did the night before. When I told them where I'd been I noticed a funny exchange of glances, thought bit strange at the time. After working with them for a few days and going out for drinks with them they told me why the strange glances. The pool is a well known gay hangout in Sydney😂 I'd never really noticed as I used to run there from the hotel, swim my 3km get changed and call at a couple of pubs on the way back. After they told me I had a look round and noticed the sun bathing area at the end of the pool, where they have a load of sunbeds, had an overepresentation of guys with leopard skin budgie smugglers laying about. Not many of them went near the water mind you, just a place to hang around.

Not surprising really, considering how many gays hang around that area.

Great pool. Won a design award.

I don't know if I ever did swim there. I was thinking you went swimming off Garden Island! I remember a couple of the guys taking big wads of bubble wrap and splashing around at lunchtime as we all sat on the wall above the water (on the eastern side).

I remember once going down to Watsons Bay with a girl I know and she wanted to swim at Lady Jane or Lady Bay which is a nudist beach. I said I will walk with you but then I'll come back to WB for a swim. In the end I just went down to the beach with her and took my gear off. (but she didn't)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I don't know if I ever did swim there. I was thinking you went swimming off Garden Island! I remember a couple of the guys taking big wads of bubble wrap and splashing around at lunchtime as we all sat on the wall above the water (on the eastern side).

I remember once going down to Watsons Bay with a girl I know and she wanted to swim at Lady Jane or Lady Bay which is a nudist beach. I said I will walk with you but then I'll come back to WB for a swim. In the end I just went down to the beach with her and took my gear off. (but she didn't)

You can see Garden Island from the pool. Worked at HMAS Watson a couple of times. I had a swim up there. Nice fish restaurant there I remember.

P:ssed down all day yesterday. It reminded me of Australia.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, simmo said:

P:ssed down all day yesterday. It reminded me of Australia.

Rain, what is that? We have probably had 4 days of rain in the last 18 months, and then it’s only rained for a few hours. We aren’t on mains water so rely on the rain tanks and the bore which both keep running dry and it’s expensive carting water in all the time.

• Haha 1

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

14 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Rain, what is that? We have probably had 4 days of rain in the last 18 months, and then it’s only rained for a few hours. We aren’t on mains water so rely on the rain tanks and the bore which both keep running dry and it’s expensive carting water in all the time.

We got all your rain.  Very unusual for here

• Like 1

On 02/12/2020 at 12:08, Paul1Perth said:

That's just a cruise MR. Our pool swimming sessions are usually 3km+. The rotto trip is half hour swim and 2 day drinking session😉.

There are 2 pubs in the main township and both have bands on. The outdoor one finishes about 10:00 then we head to the governors bar which kicks off about 10:00. Lots of us going from the surf club so it's a good laugh.

3 km! And you are the same age as me! 

I imagine you have "three kilometre type hangovers" too? I can manage 4 or maybe 5 drinks maximum now.

On 04/12/2020 at 10:47, Paul1Perth said:

You can see Garden Island from the pool. Worked at HMAS Watson a couple of times. I had a swim up there. Nice fish restaurant there I remember.

Yes, Doyle's restaurant at Watsons Bay is famous, next to the Watsons Bay Hotel. I'm not sure if i have eaten at Doyles though? Definitely at the pub. I liked to drive there for a swim and a walk around but with the car I never wanted to hang around,

Weird weather here today.  It was lovely and sunny first thing this morning but black clouds suddenly appeared and the wind started blowing followed by a torrential downpour which lasted half an hour.  Now it's calm and the sun is shining again.  Wonder how long that's going to last.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

Weird weather here today.  It was lovely and sunny first thing this morning but black clouds suddenly appeared and the wind started blowing followed by a torrential downpour which lasted half an hour.  Now it's calm and the sun is shining again.  Wonder how long that's going to last.

I love the El Nina weather, keeps the heat down, we get enough rain, and the wind gets rids of all the brittle branches and takes the leaves away.  First time all the dams and water tanks have been full for 8 years.  I think that usually gives Canberra 9 years of guaranteed water without restrictions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Matt Hancock on TV, crying like the stepfather appealing for the return of the daughter he knows is buried under the garage floor.

•  

12 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

I love the El Nina weather, keeps the heat down, we get enough rain, and the wind gets rids of all the brittle branches and takes the leaves away.  First time all the dams and water tanks have been full for 8 years.  I think that usually gives Canberra 9 years of guaranteed water without restrictions.

Actually it is La Nina which is the opposite of El Nino.

I want it all, and I want it now.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I did warn you, @Toots😝

Cheers, Bobj.

• Thanks 1

Just gone really cold here, wondering whether to switch the fire on! Seriously- doesn't happen much in December. Damn global freezing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Just gone really cold here, wondering whether to switch the fire on! Seriously- doesn't happen much in December. Damn global freezing.

Sweltering here in SE Qld today, just shows how much Australia varies.

Cal x

• Like 3

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...