simmo

The Official Weather Thread

7 hours ago, Toots said:

It rained all night and looks like it's set in for the day.

pouring rain.gif

Get rid of those candles.  Get good quality LED ones, so much safer.

• Like 1

My daughter just sent me these from mid Wales, today 👍

IMG-20201006-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20201006-WA0008.jpg

• Like 5

BUT I DONT FEEL AFRAID

AS LONG AS I GAZE AT

WATERLOO SUNSET

IAM IN PARADISE

On 05/10/2020 at 06:41, simmo said:

Get rid of those candles.  Get good quality LED ones, so much safer.

Oh no, I love candles. Often have one or two burning.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Oh no, I love candles. Often have one or two burning.  

Be careful. As well as being a major fire risk they give off toxic chemicals. Some of the so called environmentally friendly ones contain palm oil.  

Not good for health reasons either.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/si/si_public_record_report.cfm?Lab=NRMRL&dirEntryId=20899

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, simmo said:

Be careful. As well as being a major fire risk they give off toxic chemicals. Some of the so called environmentally friendly ones contain palm oil.  

Not good for health reasons either.

https://cfpub.epa.gov/si/si_public_record_report.cfm?Lab=NRMRL&dirEntryId=20899

Very interesting, I hadn’t even considered that. I’ll have a read at the report later but in the meantime I’m hiding the matches/lighter from my other half!

cheers simmo

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

13 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Very interesting, I hadn’t even considered that. I’ll have a read at the report later but in the meantime I’m hiding the matches/lighter from my other half!

cheers simmo

My Mrs always had a couple in the go.  Since I banned them I've noticed I don't get dry eyes or any sinus issues.  We also used to get black sooty stains in carpets and skirting boards upstairs.  All caused by candles.  

She uses a these now. https://www.lights4fun.co.uk/products/true-glow-realistic-flame-led-pillar-candle-trio

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We also used to get black sooty stains in carpets

My Mrs always had a couple in the go.  Since I banned them I've noticed I don't get dry eyes or any sinus issues.  We also used to get black sooty stains in carpets and skirting boards upstairs.  All caused by candles.  
She uses a these now. https://www.lights4fun.co.uk/products/true-glow-realistic-flame-led-pillar-candle-trio
That may have something to do with being on top of Sweep?
  • Haha 1

Voted Best Newcomer 2010 by PIO Members.......Thank you....x

1 hour ago, tonyman said:

We also used to get black sooty stains in carpets

That may have something to do with being on top of Sweep?

Who sooty's mate?

Beautiful weather here for the past few days.  Had my first swim of the season at the beach.  Lots of people there   ................  it's a long weekend - no idea what it's for though.

sun.jpg

• Like 2

It's been grey and miserable here all week.  It's supposed to get colder and clearer which is much better.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, simmo said:

It's been grey and miserable here all week.  It's supposed to get colder and clearer which is much better.

It’s certainly has been a horrible, wet and grey week.  

We’ve had a thunderstorm rattling around for 3 hours now. Lots of lightning, but not very heavy rain yet. Just doesn’t want to leave us.

44 minutes ago, ramot said:

We’ve had a thunderstorm rattling around for 3 hours now. Lots of lightning, but not very heavy rain yet. Just doesn’t want to leave us.

Thought we’d just been hit!! never heard such a loud close bang!!! I said a rude word as I clutched my heart, I didn’t really clutch my heart but it was that loud and close. We’re fine but hope it didn’t hit anyone.

• Sad 1

Gone cool and cloudy here after a hot day yesterday. 34d to 21d

Humid as overnight 

We got some rain yesterday so for once I didn’t have to water the garden. It is supposed to be a wet El Niño year but not that wet round here so far. Hate to think what a dry year would be like. Back to the ten year drought we had a few years back when we all went out and bought storage tanks?

I have not been in Surfers Paradise for a full 12 months so I don't know what it is like. July/August was warmer than a Sydney winter and this apartment did not feel cold the way a Sydney home can feel like an igloo.

For the last month I have ditched my long trousers in the evenings and socks, as I'm now wearing sandals. I still take my cardigan out in the evenings "just in case" which usually means if I have a paddle on the beach and the wind is cooling, though not unpleasantly.

23 degrees C now according to my phone at 0018. Tuesday to be 19 to 25 which seems pretty wonderful to me.

'm 

11 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I have not been in Surfers Paradise for a full 12 months so I don't know what it is like. July/August was warmer than a Sydney winter and this apartment did not feel cold the way a Sydney home can feel like an igloo.

For the last month I have ditched my long trousers in the evenings and socks, as I'm now wearing sandals. I still take my cardigan out in the evenings "just in case" which usually means if I have a paddle on the beach and the wind is cooling, though not unpleasantly.

23 degrees C now according to my phone at 0018. Tuesday to be 19 to 25 which seems pretty wonderful to me.

'm 

With the exception of a few hideously hot and muggy days in summer (normally broken by stunning thunderstorms in the afternoon), the climate in south east queensland is wonderful. Sounds like you're enjoying it over there very much and who could blame you.

• Like 1

:evilface_frowning_s

Warming up for the weekend.  Nice change from the rain... 

We've had glorious weather whilst away.  Got a bit warm for me in the south but back home now to cooler weather and a bit of drizzle.  It's 27 today in Hobart but only 20 here.  I've turned into a proper wuss with regard to heat.  25 as long a it's not humid is about as warm as I like it.  Nothing much more over that thanks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toots said:

We've had glorious weather whilst away.  Got a bit warm for me in the south but back home now to cooler weather and a bit of drizzle.  It's 27 today in Hobart but only 20 here.  I've turned into a proper wuss with regard to heat.  25 as long a it's not humid is about as warm as I like it.  Nothing much more over that thanks.

I wondered what had happened to you ? not like you to go AWOL.

I want it all, and I want it now.

20 minutes ago, Parley said:

I wondered what had happened to you ? not like you to go AWOL.

i think I'll do it more often.  Great to get a away for a wee while.  Met up with friends and went to lots of lovely places.  Another bonus   ..............................  didn't hear anything about Trump and Biden for well over a week. 😁  Also never gave Covid a second thought.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, MacGyver said:

With the exception of a few hideously hot and muggy days in summer (normally broken by stunning thunderstorms in the afternoon), the climate in south east queensland is wonderful. Sounds like you're enjoying it over there very much and who could blame you.

Yesterday, it was overcast but pleasant, whereas today it is overcast and humid. Yesterday I went over to Chevron Island for a podiatrist appointment (he no longer practices in Surfers) and afterwards I had a very pleasant walk, but  I did worry about getting burnt despite it being after 4 pm. Today I followed the tram line past Cypress Gardens, the next stop north* then right to the promenade and partly on the prom and partly on the sand.

* I am always getting my north and south confused - north to Main Beach and south to Broadbeach?! When I come out of the apartment block to Cavill Ave tram stop, left is Broadbeach and right is Main Beach (I think!)

• Like 1

First day of summer and it's drizzling and 18C.  We've had a few warm days (21C) so it's a bit of a change.  Good for the garden.  👍

Forecast is for 35C and later storm.  Starting to warm up and about time...