Where/how to find bargains?....

Bound4Tassie

As expected shop prices are seeming quite expensive to a recently arrived pom... ( supermarkets, clothing, food outlets)

If anyone would like to share any general or specific bargain hunting advice then please do. 

Is there a bulk buy type of place ( went to a small one, ?Countrywide, in Devonport nr the cinema yesterday ) for household things like loo rolls,  kitchen roll,  nappies. ....?

Anywhere to find money off vouchers online/ newspapers etc? 

Eventually will be purchasing electrical and white goods.... anywhere good/ cheaper you can recommend?  Places inclined to do deals when buying a few items?  

I'm sure Toots will be along to share her local knowledge but I know she has mentioned the Reject Shop in Devonport - for household consumables.   Also have  a look at Shiploads - stores in Devonport, Burnie and Wynyard - for similar.

Farmers' markets would be worth a look for food - several along the coast listed here:

http://www.marketguide.com.au/tas.htm

When buying any large items such as appliances you can always ask for their "best price" and I would certainly expect a discount if buying more than one.

I'm not sure which stores are up there now - but also have a look at Appliances Online

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

Have never used them personally but they seem to have a good reputation and you can always use their prices for bargaining.

The larger supermarkets do have discount vouchers on the back of their receipts.  Not sure about newspaper vouchers up north.

• Like 1

try a costco membership. it may work out. I am still trying to work it if it makes sense to me to keep it.

If you are looking to your shopping cheaply, then Aldi is the way the go but it depends on you sl;section and what your are looking for.

Farmers markets may or may not wot work out cheaper, depending on what your are looking for.

• Like 1

In supermarkets wait for items coming on special, fabric softner, deodrant even tins of beans and soft drinks are half price or heavily reduced every month or so, i tend to stock up then.. Also when looking at prices, half them in your head to give you an idea of the approx cost in sterling.

Cal x

• Like 3

No Costco or Aldi here unfortunately.  

We had to get a new fridge and washing machine when we arrived and went to Harvey Norman.  They did knock off a few dollars.  Probably Launceston has a better choice.  I do clothes shopping in Launceston when I need to.  For children's clothes there is always Kmart/Target.  There are some children's clothes shops around but they are expensive I think.  There are always weekly 'specials' at Coles/Woolies.  I never pay full price for laundry detergent, loo rolls etc.   There is a fruit and veg shop at fourways Devonport I go to - far cheaper and better than the supermarkets. 

• Like 1

Got excited for a minute that there was a Costco & an aldi! Lol!  I still haven't been to kmart....must check it out! Bought a few baby vests in Best &Less. Meant to go to asda before we flew out to stock up on cheap baby basics but ran out of time. I definitely need to ban hubbie from the supermarket. I asked him to buy some baby formula as ours hadn't yet arrived in the boxes we sent....he came back with a $35 tin! Some special A2 milk....but shes fine with A1 milk ...sigh...! Lol! He tried. But we will be bankrupt if he carries on like that! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Toots said:

No Costco or Aldi here unfortunately.  

We had to get a new fridge and washing machine when we arrived and went to Harvey Norman.  They did knock off a few dollars.  Probably Launceston has a better choice.  I do clothes shopping in Launceston when I need to.  For children's clothes there is always Kmart/Target.  There are some children's clothes shops around but they are expensive I think.  There are always weekly 'specials' at Coles/Woolies.  I never pay full price for laundry detergent, loo rolls etc.   There is a fruit and veg shop at fourways Devonport I go to - far cheaper and better than the supermarkets. 

The veg here tastes delicious. I always forget but just plain steamed veg are way tastier here. I don't know why. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Bound4Tassie said:

Ha, i have discovered Best & Less for some cheap kids/baby clothes. Kmart has been quite handy for a few house things. (finally have a rental in Port Sorell :)  )

Also Discount pharmacy in Burnie had a few bargains.  Must visit The Reject Shop and Shiploads! 

Best & Less, Kmart and Target all good for kids clothes.  If you are ever in Launceston there is a much larger Target store there and a Chemist Warehouse.  I stock up on stuff whenever I'm there - which isn't very often.  Good to hear you have secured a rental!