State of the NHS

Peach

48 minutes ago, Sunset said:

BBC figures are showing 1 in 10 nurses are leaving the NHS every year. Last year 3000 more left than joined the system. Nurses are concerned about hours worked conditions and patient needs not being met.

My partner's a nurse in Oz. Wouldn't say they're a happy bunch. Unless new to the profession hardly any work full time. Too much BS from bean counters, just want to do their shift and get out.

My brother's also a nurse. He's been able to scam the shift system for years and works almost exclusively on night shift...the bean counters don't work then, you see.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2018 at 13:02, alscotoz said:

My partner's a nurse in Oz. Wouldn't say they're a happy bunch. Unless new to the profession hardly any work full time. Too much BS from bean counters, just want to do their shift and get out.

My brother's also a nurse. He's been able to scam the shift system for years and works almost exclusively on night shift...the bean counters don't work then, you see.

Yes all the same issues seem to exist from what people are saying. 

On 13/01/2018 at 07:41, caramac said:

When we went into Medicare this time, my daughter told them that she is just here temporarily (she is Australian) and was told that although she can’t have a Medicare card (we’d assumed she wouldn’t anyway) she would be seen by a gp or hospital under the reciprocal arrangement, even for non urgent things, so maybe it works like that both ways. I always assumed she’d have to use travel insurance if not resident except for emergencies. 

Yes that's right the reciprocal agreement covers medical emergencies and GP visits.

19 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Yes that's right the reciprocal agreement covers medical emergencies and GP visits.

I was charged for a gp in Perth and couldn't claim it back as no Medicare. Maybe if I went to a bulk bill gp.

My parents were charged for a gp visit when they were in the UK and they both hold British passports.

But you are correct on medical emergencies. Although it would be interesting if you needed follow up care as a result of the emergency.

Edited by newjez

• 4 weeks later...

NHS trusts in England alone are more than £1.2 billion in deficit as a growing demand for services is only increasing the pressure on services.

By the end of 2017, NHS providers in England reported a year-to-year deficit of £1.281 billion - which is £365 million worse than the £916 million planned deficit.

NHS Improvement added there were 100,000 vacancies across England's 243 acute, ambulance and mental health trusts.

Provideers projected an end-of-year deficit of £931 million, which is £435 million worse than planned, the regulator said.

Latest quarterly figures revealed A&E departments dealt with a record 5.6 million patients between October and December - more than a 500,000 more people than the service dealt with in the same period last year. 

A record demand for services has led to a decline in finances, according to NHS Improvement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5418147/1-2-billion-deficit-high-vacancy-rates-NHS-revealed.html#ixzz57oW3D924 

The NHS is in dire need of a restructure and some serious capital investment. Although, it does make you wonder whether the government is perhaps purposely destroying it so that it can be sold off/privatised/changed. 

I suspect in my lifetime we will see the end of systems like the NHS and Medicare in their present forms as they simple are not financially sustainable. 

My daughter keeps saying there are not enough staff in any departments, cut backs and waiting times are through the roof. Shes been nursing now for several years and says it is a horrible job lately, moral is out the window tiredness and safety issues are rife. 

The NHS is in dire need of a restructure and some serious capital investment. Although, it does make you wonder whether the government is perhaps purposely destroying it so that it can be sold off/privatised/changed. 
 I suspect in my lifetime we will see the end of systems like the NHS and Medicare in their present forms as they simple are not financially sustainable. 

The Tories have been cutting for nigh on eight years now. It does need reform too, but the economic cuts aren’t helping. It’s a double whammy.

31 minutes ago, ssiri said:

The Tories have been cutting for nigh on eight years now. It does need reform too, but the economic cuts aren’t helping. It’s a double whammy.

Honestly, when it comes to politics I lump Labour and the Tories together, seems to be a bunch of the same people from Eton, Harrow, Gordonstoun via Oxford/Cambridge in both parties. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sunset said:

My daughter keeps saying there are not enough staff in any departments, cut backs and waiting times are through the roof. Shes been nursing now for several years and says it is a horrible job lately, moral is out the window tiredness and safety issues are rife. 

Apart from that how is she?

3 hours ago, CaptainR said:

Honestly, when it comes to politics I lump Labour and the Tories together, seems to be a bunch of the same people from Eton, Harrow, Gordonstoun via Oxford/Cambridge in both parties. 

Haves and the have nots have 

9 hours ago, CaptainR said:

But if the uk spent the same percentage of GDP as the rest of Europe it wouldn't be in the state it is , a Lithuanian my wife worked with went home for treatment as she said it was better, this sets out the figures:-

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2016/01/how-does-nhs-spending-compare-health-spending-internationally

The future of the NHS would not be in question if the Tories really believed in it.

Edited by BacktoDemocracy
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

I do love our wonderful NHS and the treatment we have recieved has been absolutely second to none. They need to reduce admin levels as there are too many chiefs. 

Ironic, as most of our stuff ups have been admin.

If you don't have decent admin, the practical staff can't be properly utilised.

Admin is an easy cop out. It's much more complicated than that.

15 hours ago, Sunset said:

NHS trusts in England alone are more than £1.2 billion in deficit as a growing demand for services is only increasing the pressure on services.

By the end of 2017, NHS providers in England reported a year-to-year deficit of £1.281 billion - which is £365 million worse than the £916 million planned deficit.

NHS Improvement added there were 100,000 vacancies across England's 243 acute, ambulance and mental health trusts.

Provideers projected an end-of-year deficit of £931 million, which is £435 million worse than planned, the regulator said.

Latest quarterly figures revealed A&E departments dealt with a record 5.6 million patients between October and December - more than a 500,000 more people than the service dealt with in the same period last year. 

A record demand for services has led to a decline in finances, according to NHS Improvement

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5418147/1-2-billion-deficit-high-vacancy-rates-NHS-revealed.html#ixzz57oW3D924 

Has she thought of moving to Perth.

I do love our wonderful NHS and the treatment we have recieved has been absolutely second to none. They need to reduce admin levels as there are too many chiefs. 

Service levels within the NHS are unequal, should you have been living in a a predominantly lower socio economic area of the UK your experience may have been considerably different. Hence the term postcode lottery in relation to NHS treatment. 

5 hours ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

But if the uk spent the same percentage of GDP as the rest of Europe it wouldn't be in the state it is , a Lithuanian my wife worked with went home for treatment as she said it was better, this sets out the figures:-

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2016/01/how-does-nhs-spending-compare-health-spending-internationally

The future of the NHS would not be in question if the Tories really believed in it.

Interesting link. I did find it bizarre that in the last decade when immigration to the UK was booming that hospitals and schools were being closed. A country cannot have rapid population growth with the economic benenfits without investment.

• Like 1

The Tories reorganisation guaranteed that the NHS would be management heavy by breaking it down into self governing entities , no commercial company would run it like they set it up, they couldn't run a burger van.

To be fair Blair did try some reform - but it didn’t work - the outcome was different structures, none of which were fit for purpose, more middle management and no consolidated /Integrated IT and medical systems (which would help reduce costs as far as reporting and record keeping is concerned)....

I don’t have a problem with where they were educated as long as they deliver... not all are posh boys just because they go to the posh boys club...

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

To be fair Blair did try some reform - but it didn’t work - the outcome was different structures, none of which were fit for purpose, more middle management and no consolidated /Integrated IT and medical systems (which would help reduce costs as far as reporting and record keeping is concerned)....

I don’t have a problem with where they were educated as long as they deliver... not all are posh boys just because they go to the posh boys club...

It isn't so much about them being posh boys club, its that for the most part they are brought up and educated in such a way that they are entirely disconnected from the reality of the other 99.9% of the population. To have politics dominated by people who bare no relation to the people they represent means they will never understand the woes and challenges of them, but then I think that is politics the world over... 

2 hours ago, CaptainR said:

It isn't so much about them being posh boys club, its that for the most part they are brought up and educated in such a way that they are entirely disconnected from the reality of the other 99.9% of the population. To have politics dominated by people who bare no relation to the people they represent means they will never understand the woes and challenges of them, but then I think that is politics the world over... 

Perhaps you should blame the people who voted for them.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 05:57, Sunset said:

unlike many on here...i actually live in the u.k ,and use the nhs AND I TALK TO GPs and Nurses ,like I did today

( this is not a criticism of any Aussie based posters the way , just the clowns who cut and paste from left wing media )

Two true stories from a gp in inner city Coventry and a nursing sister in a Birmingham hospital

I asked them both straight out " are the nhs s problems because of UNDER FUNDING or OVER USE due to population growth " they both said, BOTH issues were the cause

The inner city doctor was indian , the nursing sister was west indian ,and they both voted BREXIT ,

those are true stories , the nursing sister , I met today

by the way the service I received from the nhs was 2nd to none .