State of the NHS

Peach

NHS extends suspension of all non-urgent care as doctors warn of winter crisis

Officials estimate this could lead to up to 55,000 deferred operations

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-non-urgent-care-suspended-winter-crisis-warning-latest-a8138646.html 

Doctors are saying they are having to work in 3rd world conditions due to overcrowding.

25 minutes ago, Sandgroper said:

NHS extends suspension of all non-urgent care as doctors warn of winter crisis

Officials estimate this could lead to up to 55,000 deferred operations

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/nhs-non-urgent-care-suspended-winter-crisis-warning-latest-a8138646.html 

Doctors are saying they are having to work in 3rd world conditions due to overcrowding.

Apparently some ambulance services are resorting to using taxis.

But it's not a problem.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, newjez said:

Apparently some ambulance services are resorting to using taxis.

But it's not a problem.

I havent read that but i did read they were sending firemen with basic medical training to accidents / incidents that they are not trained for due to no ambulances/ paramedics being available.

Cal x

18 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I havent read that but i did read they were sending firemen with basic medical training to accidents / incidents that they are not trained for due to no ambulances/ paramedics being available.

Cal x

I read something similar but it was nurses travelling in ambos due to paramedics not being readily available.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2017 at 20:06, newjez said:

This probably raises other questions about whether people should receive specific food stamps or a food package as part of their benefits, especially if they have children.

Sunscreen is an important part of many chemotherapy regimes. It is often a specific and very expensive sunscreen. We're not talking holidays. Equally, there is an extremely expensive mouth wash that is used in many chemotherapy regimes to prevent mouth ulcers. The nature of the treatment dictates this.

Likewise, there are extreme dandruff conditions which requires special treatment.

There is a grain of truth in the article. The NHS used to prescribe gym memberships. I would question that, as there is plenty of free exercise available. But unfortunately the article takes things out of context and doesn't present a balanced view.

They used to prescribe paracetamol and aspirin at prescription price because patients wanted it free, instead of paying 25p at Tesco or Aldi.    My dad used to rant about it...bloody lazy cheapskates. I think they've stopped it now, or at least put up signs requesting people to stop asking for it on prescription.  

28 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

They used to prescribe paracetamol and aspirin at prescription price because patients wanted it free, instead of paying 25p at Tesco or Aldi.    My dad used to rant about it...bloody lazy cheapskates. I think they've stopped it now, or at least put up signs requesting people to stop asking for it on prescription.  

I think part of it was due to the suicide prevention measures put in place, so that you couldn't buy more than a certain amount in a supermarket - the prescription allowed for larger quantities to be prescribed.  

• Like 1

On 1/3/2018 at 14:51, calNgary said:

Cal x

My best friend is a firefighter, he tells me that a fire engine or police car is regularly sent to an ambulance 999 call - if they are they are closest, or if the ambulance may be delayed.  More than once he has been sent to a house where the person that the ambulance was called for is obviously stone cold dead, but because they are not able to declare time of death they have to perform CPR until the ambulance arrives - even though it is so obviously pointless.

• Like 1

Somebody's mother and gran, keep voting Tory people....

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/news/15810659.UPDATED__Pensioner__81__found_dead_at_home_in_Clacton_after_waiting_almost_4_hours_for_ambulance/

The 81-year-old woman called 999 complaining of chest pains on Tuesday, according to the GMB union.

Paramedics arrived hours later and forced their way into her home, but she had already died.

The East of England Ambulance Service aid crews arrived three hours and 45 minutes after her initial call.

Dave Powell, regional officer for GMB, said the incident is "another example of how we are not coping" with the NHS winter crisis.

"My concern is now that we are actually suffering deaths whilst people wait for ambulances," he added.

"On arrival, the crew had sufficient concerns to force entry to the property as the control room could not contact the patient via telephone.

"Unfortunately, the patient was found deceased in the property and there was nothing the crew could do for her.

• Sad 3

59 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

Somebody's mother and gran, keep voting Tory people....

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette.co.uk/news/15810659.UPDATED__Pensioner__81__found_dead_at_home_in_Clacton_after_waiting_almost_4_hours_for_ambulance/

The 81-year-old woman called 999 complaining of chest pains on Tuesday, according to the GMB union.

Paramedics arrived hours later and forced their way into her home, but she had already died.

The East of England Ambulance Service aid crews arrived three hours and 45 minutes after her initial call.

Dave Powell, regional officer for GMB, said the incident is "another example of how we are not coping" with the NHS winter crisis.

"My concern is now that we are actually suffering deaths whilst people wait for ambulances," he added.

"On arrival, the crew had sufficient concerns to force entry to the property as the control room could not contact the patient via telephone.

"Unfortunately, the patient was found deceased in the property and there was nothing the crew could do for her.

Sad situation,  I remember similar problems when I worked in the NHS with ambulances ramping - this was under the labour government - neither seem to have improved the service.

1 hour ago, ali said:

Sad situation,  I remember similar problems when I worked in the NHS with ambulances ramping - this was under the labour government - neither seem to have improved the service.

I'm not trying to make it a conflict but I do believe under Gordon Brown that it was starting to improve.

Where as at the present we have the lowest ratios of beds, doctors and nurses per head of population and the only conclusion that can be arrived at is that the present govt is trying to implant in the public's mind that the NHS is incompetent and unprofessional by just keeping it in permanent chaos whilst constantly pretending that they are giving it huge amounts of money which it then supposedly squanders thereby making it acceptable to to the public to just privatise it..

This is death by a thousand cuts with the final denouement administered by privatisation, the Tories have form in doing this wth any public service that they want to get rid of, they did it with the railways, they're doing it with the NHS and they're doing it with Local Govt, they have done it with Housing and that got us  Grenfell Tower

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

I'm not trying to make it a conflict but I do believe under Gordon Brown that it was starting to improve.

Where as at the present we have the lowest ratios of beds, doctors and nurses per head of population and the only conclusion that can be arrived at is that the present govt is trying to implant in the public's mind that the NHS is incompetent and unprofessional by just keeping it in permanent chaos whilst constantly pretending that they are giving it huge amounts of money which it then supposedly squanders thereby making it acceptable to to the public to just privatise it..

This is death by a thousand cuts with the final denouement administered by privatisation, the Tories have form in doing this wth any public service that they want to get rid of, they did it with the railways, they're doing it with the NHS and they're doing it with Local Govt, they have done it with Housing and that got us  Grenfell Tower

I know your intent  wasn't to make it a conflict B2D .. I was replying to another post and just commenting that  the problem doesn't seem to be resolved whichever government has been in power, - i'm sorry to hear that it's got much worse

I thought it was interesting that Andy Murray chose to fly to Melbourne to have his hip surgery with a top Melbourne surgeon.

He could have flown home to London and got it done there but he is a professional athlete and wanted the best surgical care he could get.

I was reading the other day about how much health tourism is costing the NHS and that trusts are still chasing bills that are in the hundreds of thousands.  The costs i'm sure may have an element of exaggeration/inflation to be a bit more sensationalised, but this is something they're going to have to address surely.  

• Like 1

Very sad.

Patients 'dying in hospital corridors'

By Nick TriggleHealth correspondent
Patient being wheeled in a hospital bed

Patients are dying in hospital corridors as safety is compromised by "intolerable" conditions, doctors say.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42572116

For anyone considering areas to live when moving back this may be helpful, you can check if NHS trusts are hitting targets for A&E, cancer operations and planned Operations, to be fair most areas I checked seemed to be hitting targets for cancer operations which is good, however very few seem to be hitting A&E targets and planned ops.

I couldn't find any trusts that hit all there targets but only checked a few. Scotland is the only place I'd consider living in the UK if I was to ever move back but not a single Scottish trust hits all there targets unfortunately. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-41483322

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

For anyone considering areas to live when moving back this may be helpful, you can check if NHS trusts are hitting targets for A&E, cancer operations and planned Operations, to be fair most areas I checked seemed to be hitting targets for cancer operations which is good, however very few seem to be hitting A&E targets and planned ops.

I couldn't find any trusts that hit all there targets but only checked a few. Scotland is the only place I'd consider living in the UK if I was to ever move back but not a single Scottish trust hits all there targets unfortunately. 

I’m very surprised that our local trust did so poorly. I’ve been in and out of the local hospital with my elderly parents and aunt and uncle for the past 6 years now and have been super impressed. A case in point - we contacted dad’s GP about something we were concerned about on 5/12, he was seen for a scan at the hospital on 14/12, had his pre-op on 20/12 and a high level pre-op on 3/1 and I take him in for his procedure today. I do see folk in A&E though who should have gone to their GP (I would have thought) and I have never had a problem getting into our GP on the day either.  Our trust has recently put a hold on non essential operations though because of the flu and subsequent bed supply - I thought dad’s might be postponed but apparently not.

• Like 1

In that article it says 

'' He said hospitals were short of 10,000 to 15,000 beds and it was time for the government to decide how to fund the NHS in the long term.''

But what do they really expect when they keep closing hospitals and units down ? I really feel for the Dr's and nurses who are on the front line doing their best and yet taking all the crap from those who are kept waiting. I see no other option than to start charging for misuse of service to those who do missuse it and to clamp down on those who just go to the UK for NHS treatment. 

Cal x

7 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

Nice one sandgroper. Very interesting.