State of the NHS

Peach

22 minutes ago, bristolman said:

So that has what to do with the Tories destroying and selling off the NHS ? Nothing that I can see. It's more about improving the vast wastage than forever increasing funding. 

Did you even read it?

At the same time, the service is enduring the most prolonged funding squeeze in its history. Under current spending plans, the NHS budget will increase by an average of 1.1 per cent a year between 2009/10 and 2020/21, compared to the long-term average of nearly 4 per cent a year since the NHS was established.

30 minutes ago, bristolman said:

So that has what to do with the Tories destroying and selling off the NHS ? Nothing that I can see. It's more about improving the vast wastage than forever increasing funding. 

So the problem is all about wastage is it, try telling that to a junior doctor after a 70 hour week doing nights on A&E.

You try my patience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BacktoDemocracy said:

So the problem is all about wastage is it, try telling that to a junior doctor after a 70 hour week doing nights on A&E.

You try my patience.

See above from the kings fund, the Tories are cutting funding by 75% and people wonder why the NHS is in crisis

18 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

See above from the kings fund, the Tories are cutting funding by 75% and people wonder why the NHS is in crisis

Cutting funding by 75%, you are saying the Tories are cutting funding by around £90 BILLION a year because that's what cutting funding by 75% means. 

57 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Cutting funding by 75%, you are saying the Tories are cutting funding by around £90 BILLION a year because that's what cutting funding by 75% means. 

The increase in funding has averaged 4% per year since the NHS was formed, the tories have cut it down to 1%...that is a cut of 75% in funding....rate of inflation is 3.6% so the budget is being cut dramatically.

NHS budget will increase by an average of 1.1 per cent a year between 2009/10 and 2020/21, compared to the long-term average of nearly 4 per cent a year since the NHS was established.

Edited by Perthbum

6 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

The increase in funding has averaged 4% per year since the NHS was formed, the tories have cut it down to 1%...that is a cut of 75% in funding....rate of inflation is 3.6% so the budget is being cut dramatically.

NHS budget will increase by an average of 1.1 per cent a year between 2009/10 and 2020/21, compared to the long-term average of nearly 4 per cent a year since the NHS was established.

No, that isn't cutting funding by 75%, you are talking about the annual increase in funding. Don't forget the extra £6.3 billion from the autumn budget on top of that. Seems like a lot of money to pour into something that they are running into the ground. 

2 minutes ago, bristolman said:

No, that isn't cutting funding by 75%, you are talking about the annual increase in funding. Don't forget the extra £6.3 billion from the autumn budget on top of that. Seems like a lot of money to pour into something that they are running into the ground. 

You got a link and how many years that is spread over.....4% on average to 1,1% since the tories come to power, that is far more taken away than this extra 6.3 billion you are going to give me a link to.

9 minutes ago, bristolman said:

OK the annual increase is cut by 75% with inflation at 3.6% funding is actually being heavily cut.

2 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Google really is your friend so I'll leave it to you ? I would love more to be spent on the NHS, I think some of it should be run by private companies, much like they do in Australia. A Government has a finite amount of money, unless you are Labour of course. 

Poor People in australia cannot afford drugs for their conditions, do you really want to go down the road of the USA? They need to increase personal tax by a penny in the pound which will bring in billions extra for the NHS....they do not have the balls to do it as they know they are on borrowed time.

2 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

Poor People in australia cannot afford drugs for their conditions, do you really want to go down the road of the USA? They need to increase personal tax by a penny in the pound which will bring in billions extra for the NHS....they do not have the balls to do it as they know they are on borrowed time.

Sorry, are you referring to Australia or the US as you said both in the same sentence. Who said anything about going down the road of the US ? The systems are totally different, there are no similarities. 

6 minutes ago, bristolman said:

Sorry, are you referring to Australia or the US as you said both in the same sentence. Who said anything about going down the road of the US ? The systems are totally different, there are no similarities. 

when the tories are finished with NHS it wll be exactly like the USA and to a lesser extent Oz

NHS needs another £4BILLION as funding falls to historic low, say think tanks

The three health think tanks – the Health Foundation, The King's Fund and the Nuffield Trust – calculated that the NHS needs £4 billion more next year to prevent patient care from deteriorating following a joint analysis of NHS finances in England.

Without an increase of at least £4 billion in 2018-2019 patients will wait longer for treatment, more services will be rationed and quality of care will deteriorate, the organisations said.

They said that the next financial year would be a “crunch year” for the NHS, with funding growth slowing to 0.4 per cent.

This is the “the lowest rate of growth of this parliament and one of the lowest in NHS history”, they added. 

2 minutes ago, Perthbum said:

NHS needs another £4BILLION as funding falls to historic low, say think tanks

The three health think tanks – the Health Foundation, The King's Fund and the Nuffield Trust – calculated that the NHS needs £4 billion more next year to prevent patient care from deteriorating following a joint analysis of NHS finances in England.

Without an increase of at least £4 billion in 2018-2019 patients will wait longer for treatment, more services will be rationed and quality of care will deteriorate, the organisations said.

They said that the next financial year would be a “crunch year” for the NHS, with funding growth slowing to 0.4 per cent.

This is the “the lowest rate of growth of this parliament and one of the lowest in NHS history”, they added. 

It's been the crunch year every year since we have been back. 

3 hours ago, bristolman said:

Google really is your friend so I'll leave it to you ? I would love more to be spent on the NHS, I think some of it should be run by private companies, much like they do in Australia. A Government has a finite amount of money, unless you are Labour of course. 

So private contractors will run it better will they, what like they do the railways and the academies.

The first academy companies have been discovered fiddling but private enterprise is always so muuuuuch more efficient than social enterprise with all those shareholders to keep in Range Rovers

People aren't working in the NHS to make money. The reason most of the public isn't feeling the results of years of pay and funding restraint in the NHS is because of the workers' compassion, expressed through curtailing their lunches, or even foregoing them, staying a little bit late and not bothering to claim for that time, squeezing that extra few patients by hook or crook.

So the private sector can help improve the NHS? Have a look at what happened to the Wiltshire drug and alcohol service that the NHS lost the tender for in the noughties, which was then"ran" by a private outfit, but had to be rescued by the NHS...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

People aren't working in the NHS to make money. The reason most of the public isn't feeling the results of years of pay and funding restraint in the NHS is because of the workers' compassion, expressed through curtailing their lunches, or even foregoing them, staying a little bit late and not bothering to claim for that time, squeezing that extra few patients by hook or crook.

Agree. This has always been the case but has accelerated beyond recognition in the last half of this year. 

This can only be good news for the area of Scotland I am originally from.  A new hospital.

It may be one of the smallest health boards in Scotland, but NHS Dumfries and Galloway can now boast having one of the most advanced hospitals in the country.

It cost £212m, took two-and-a-half years to build and is poised to receive its first patients.

The new complex incorporates cutting-edge design and the latest technology, all with the aim of providing the highest standards of treatment and care.

Constructed at the the western end of the Dumfries by-pass, it is replacing the existing Royal Infirmary on Bankend Road which opened in 1975.

The move itself will involve a fleet of ambulances, transport vehicles and removal trucks.

Parking restrictions will be in force on surrounding streets to assist the flow of vehicles.

Police officers and community safety wardens will also be deployed to support the transition and an electronic tracking system will be used to monitor the transfer of patients.

The whole process is expected to be completed on Sunday.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2017 at 19:54, bristolman said:

From your comments I don't think you actually understand what is happening here.

I do believe the NHS needs to be means tested as happens in Australia.

That is not what is happening. It is being privatised but not in that way.

What is happening is similar to all parts of government. Aspects are being sold to private companies. These then perform 'the same role' at a lower cost.

But they don't perform the same role. They cut corners, perform a lesser role and are no longer accountable. I have seen nurses arguing with cleaners who just ignore them.

In addition, your comments about good experience are meaningless. I attend the Marsden and I have a brilliant experience. It is well funded, although most nurses seem to be Asian rather than European now, they are competent.

My wife attended Worthing and it was an unmitigated disaster.

It's luck of the draw. Your cool stories don't prove anything. It just proves how little you know about the NHS.

Edited by newjez
  • Like 3