Student Visa - GTE

Robbouk

Hi

Asking for my daughter.  She is currently on a WHV here, decided to go back into higher education, been accepted on a Uni course in Melbourne, now looking at the visa and got stuck on what to put in the GTE statement.

We (both parents) are on PR visa's here too, but her own plans are to grab a degree here, with our financial support then head back out into the world again.

Any help or contacts would be very thankfully received.

No one can help her with that statement so if she's stuck she has got a problem.  Surely someone who is about to start a degree is capable of doing a statement? You are given details of the sort of thing they are looking for in the statement and it also states the applicant must do it themselves so she shouldn't be asking for help.  It is good you are prepared to financially support her, you do realise she will pay international student fees which are quite steep?

On 11/27/2017 at 00:36, Tulip1 said:

Wondering why you didn't put her on your PR visa applications? Would have made life much easier 

When we applied, both my adult children were classed as non-dependent as they were both working and earning their own keep. 

On 11/23/2017 at 14:36, Robbouk said:

Hi

Asking for my daughter.  She is currently on a WHV here, decided to go back into higher education, been accepted on a Uni course in Melbourne, now looking at the visa and got stuck on what to put in the GTE statement.

We (both parents) are on PR visa's here too, but her own plans are to grab a degree here, with our financial support then head back out into the world again.

Any help or contacts would be very thankfully received.

We are fully aware that the statement must be hers, was just seeing if their was anyone that had gone through a similar exercise that wished to share their experience.

2 minutes ago, MaggieMay24 said:

Perhaps if she focuses her statement on her future plans, any travel history and why she wants to continue travelling, etc.  Not sure if that helps, but it would be where I would start if it was me.

Thanks Maggie.  She managed to speak to some other students in similar circumstances and she thinks she knows what to put now.  She just didn't want to fall into any silly mistakes that might cause concern to visa assessors.

Thanks for responding :-)

ok, great news, she got a Grant letter come through today.

Now for some questions that the forum may be able to help with.

Q1 - She was on a WHV, is this new visa now her active one.

Q1a - if Yes to above, there is a condition that states "Visa condition 8105 applies to you. This means that you must not engage in any work before your course
of study commences. You are also not permitted to work more than 40 hours per fortnight when you are in
Australia when your course of study is in session."   She is currently employed (on her WHV), does this mean she cannot be employed until the course starts (Feb 2018)?

Q2 -  Dates.  Visa Grant Date = 05/12/17, Initial Stay Date = 15 March 2020 (what is this?), Must Not arrive after = 15 March 2020 (huh?), Stay Period = 15 March 2020 (thought the visa would be for at least length of the course which is 31 Dec 2020, visa runs out before course finishes, that dont make sense?)

Great to get the good news, but there is always some confusion!

• 2 weeks later...

If she has been granted a student visa then my understanding is that it will now supersede any other visa (in your daughters case the WHV), which means that the terms of the student visa are now what she needs to abide by.

Sounds like she may have to give up work until the course starts

2 minutes ago, ali said:

If she has been granted a student visa then my understanding is that it will now supersede any other visa (in your daughters case the WHV), which means that the terms of the student visa are now what she needs to abide by.

Sounds like she may have to give up work until the course starts

Hi Ali, that is very much the case.

She is now a lady of leisure, enjoying the beautiful Australian summer.

• Like 1