To use an agent or not to use an agent?

Claire1986

I had planned to use an agent to apply for a 189 Visa and the reality of the cost has sank in. Just wondering if many people have successfully managed to apply for their visa by them selves?

I have spoke to three different agents regarding my points and weather I would be a successful applicant of which have all said I shouldn't have a problem.

I have been doing a lot of research into the process and what I need to submit and when so I don't see a problem. Am I mad to try going it alone?

Thanks

Many people go the DIY route and have their visa granted, if  you are confident you know what your doing, how much evidence to include with your application and have a straight forward case then it will be much easier.

Years ago when we migrated we did pay an agent to help and they were worth their weight in gold, if i had to do it all over again i would still use an agent, having a second pair of eyes to check everything and help if we got stuck was worth the money IMO. I have read a few horror stories on here over the years and people have had visa's refused, so just know it could happen but at the end of the day its your personal choice.

Cal x

• Like 1

Hi, I have recently submitted my 190 visa application with the help of an agent. What i will say is that i do not think i would be at the stage i am at without the help of my agent...They just made sure everything single thing was right 1st time. In my opinion, well worth the fee. Good luck whatever you choose.

• Like 1

Very easy to do on own. At least we found so. That was back in nineties but can it be so much more difficult? Unless there are additional complications or not good at form filling go ahead. This immigration agent thingy, is a relative new thing from this century.

Remember immigration from start to finish is a 'business. ' If you can reduce some of the outlay involved around it these days, you'll have more funds available, for setting up, in what is already a darn expensive country.

Good luck. If successful let people know it isn't as daunting as they may believe.

4 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Very easy to do on own. At least we found so. That was back in nineties but can it be so much more difficult? Unless there are additional complications or not good at form filling go ahead. This immigration agent thingy, is a relative new thing from this century.

Remember immigration from start to finish is a 'business. ' If you can reduce some of the outlay involved around it these days, you'll have more funds available, for setting up, in what is already a darn expensive country.

Good luck. If successful let people know it isn't as daunting as they may believe.

Are you seriously providing advice from your experience from 20 years ago? The visas from the 90s do not even exist anymore. The process back then was very different and very simple compared to today.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Claire1986 said:

I had planned to use an agent to apply for a 189 Visa and the reality of the cost has sank in. Just wondering if many people have successfully managed to apply for their visa by them selves?

I have spoke to three different agents regarding my points and weather I would be a successful applicant of which have all said I shouldn't have a problem.

I have been doing a lot of research into the process and what I need to submit and when so I don't see a problem. Am I mad to try going it alone?

Thanks

It will depend on your specific situation, the complexity of your matter and your efficiency with dealing with paperwork & bureaucracy. It is becoming more complex, especially in the last year, so some initial advice may be wise. As per previous posts, if you do use an Agent, make sure they are Registered.

2 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Are you seriously providing advice from your experience from 20 years ago? The visas from the 90s do not even exist anymore. The process back then was very different and very simple compared to today.

As I said it was some time ago, just as the fiasco it was to become was taking off. I have helped others as well in going directly to source. I would add I would have no hesitation in doing it myself again. I do realise I should have been an immigration in my spare time, but probably could not justify to myself the hefty fees. Not to worry. Plenty of others out there have filled my shoes.

I would further encourage, all to save a wad and DYO application, unless have issues beyond normal.

I would advise you to use a MA that posts on this forum if you feel that you need professional help with regards to the application. Understanding how to present the correct information is normally the key to success. However hiring a bad MA can be even worse than doing it yourself, a good MA is worth the additional cost hands down in certain circumstances. 

Best of luck with your application. 

My view after many years on the forum and having gone through 3 visas is to always use an agent.

Many cases can seem very simple, but there can be a hidden problem as generally people who get a refusal didn't know they had an issue otherwise they wouldn't have spent thousands on applying. It is important to understand that a refusal means loss of the fee - there is no refund even if it is a genuine mistake and even a potential ban from reapplying for 3 years.

The department only publish about 1% of the regulations relating to visas on their web site. That may seem unfair, especially when someone gets a refusal because of something they weren't aware of. But the department will have no sympathy and simply say they advise people to use MARA agents.

Then remember, the cost of an agent is a tiny drop in the ocean in the grand scheme of emigrating.

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone's advise it's really appreciated. I was adamant I was going to use an agent but £2200 for someone to check what I am doing is right seems an awful lot and that could go towards my Visa application if I get invited. 

But, IF being the word!

I guess if I get it wrong I might not even get an invite which is a higher price to pay. I am so stuck.  

My wife and I moved out here last year on 189 visas, and we used an agent. We both work full-time so didn't feel we had the bandwidth to learn about the various visa options and figure out how to put together a "good" application. Even with the assistance of an agent it was still quite a lot of work, but at all stages we were reassured that our efforts would be successful.

Using an agent seemed expensive at the time, but to be honest it was a drop in the ocean compared to the other costs we incurred in the move (the visa fees themselves, flights out here, shipping all our stuff as well as loss of earnings while we were job hunting).

Overall, very happy that we used an agent.

• Like 2

Hi there

We submitted our application without the use of an agent and we found it quite straight forward but not everyone is as confident.  I’ve heard quite a lot of horror stories even with registered agents so I really think you need to do your research if you intend to use one. There’s pro’s & cons to both. You still need to complete the forms yourself, an agent doesn’t do this for you so for simply checking and submitting the application on your behalf, it’s a lot of money. My other half is self employed so there was a lot of evidence required for his skills assessment and we managed just fine.  We wanted to save the money that it would cost us to use an agent to put towards other costs like shipping etc. I’m guessing there’ll be a mixed bag of opinions on this one. Hope it helps ? 

7 hours ago, Monks said:

Hi there

We submitted our application without the use of an agent and we found it quite straight forward but not everyone is as confident.  I’ve heard quite a lot of horror stories even with registered agents so I really think you need to do your research if you intend to use one. There’s pro’s & cons to both. You still need to complete the forms yourself, an agent doesn’t do this for you so for simply checking and submitting the application on your behalf, it’s a lot of money. My other half is self employed so there was a lot of evidence required for his skills assessment and we managed just fine.  We wanted to save the money that it would cost us to use an agent to put towards other costs like shipping etc. I’m guessing there’ll be a mixed bag of opinions on this one. Hope it helps ? 

That is not completely true though. My agent filled up the form with the information they had collected from me and I was the one who had to go through the same and tell them if everything was fine. So it was the other way around. Except for the State Sponsorship form and Form 80, I did not have to fill anything else. I used an agent because I just did not have the time and I did not want to make mistakes. But I agree that people need to make their own decision regarding the use of an agent. I would refrain from giving advice either way as only the applicant knows how comfortable they are with the overall process and how much time they have in their hands to do it themselves. 

No one would argue the convenience involved in using an agent. Surely that applies to everything and anything in life? From cutting your lawn to cleaning your house, to doing your accounts and so on. I believe most people of ordinary intelligence will be able to complete requirements quite amply.

If there are borderline considerations or don't meet criteria, for a particular reason, there is obviously a chance they may get you over the line. I'm afraid the argument that it is just another cost on top of a substantial amount already paid, is lazy talk, which doesn't wash in the slightest with me. Surely the idea is to save where possible. Immigration is a hell of an expensive operation. One would have thought savings would be welcomed where ever possible.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

No one would argue the convenience involved in using an agent. Surely that applies to everything and anything in life? From cutting your lawn to cleaning your house, to doing your accounts and so on. I believe most people of ordinary intelligence will be able to complete requirements quite amply.

If there are borderline considerations or don't meet criteria, for a particular reason, there is obviously a chance they may get you over the line. I'm afraid the argument that it is just another cost on top of a substantial amount already paid, is lazy talk, which doesn't wash in the slightest with me. Surely the idea is to save where possible. Immigration is a hell of an expensive operation. One would have thought savings would be welcomed where ever possible.

Is it a saving - or a false economy, with a possible 10 year ban if you get it wrong?

This is a legal process.   Comparing it to cutting your lawn or house clearing is a ridiculous analogy.

Best regards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan Collett said:

Is it a saving - or a false economy, with a possible 10 year ban if you get it wrong?

This is a legal process.   Comparing it to cutting your lawn or house clearing is a ridiculous analogy.

Best regards.

I thought I might get a bite. Well lets not over complicate things shall we? Nothing like inducing a sense of fear of course, in citing a ten year ban. Fact remains a normal application, completed by an average competent person , without additional pragmatic considerations,  when all said and done should not find a problem.

As I have stated, if not good at form filling or understanding requirements or have problems with reading or such like, rather expensive paid help may be required.

The analogy is of course, far from ridiculous, as all tasks mentioned one could generally be expected to be able to fulfil. One may indeed enjoy the 'luxury' , and preference of having some one else cut their lawn, do their garden, complete their accounts or indeed fill in an immigration application form.

The individuals choice, but at least allow them to understand that there is indeed the possibility of a choice.

2 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

I thought I might get a bite. Well lets not over complicate things shall we? Nothing like inducing a sense of fear of course, in citing a ten year ban. Fact remains a normal application, completed by an average competent person , without additional pragmatic considerations,  when all said and done should not find a problem.

As I have stated, if not good at form filling or understanding requirements or have problems with reading or such like, rather expensive paid help may be required.

The analogy is of course, far from ridiculous, as all tasks mentioned one could generally be expected to be able to fulfil. One may indeed enjoy the 'luxury' , and preference of having some one else cut their lawn, do their garden, complete their accounts or indeed fill in an immigration application form.

The individuals choice, but at least allow them to understand that there is indeed the possibility of a choice.

If you are fishing for a response, I'm out.

Regards.

• Like 1

To a first order approximation, the minister and his associates at the AAT rake in $50 million a year from refused partner visa applications.

In 15 years, I have not had a finalised partner application refused and I do not know of any RMA who has, except in cases where an applicant had lied.

I have pulled clients who forgot they were already married out of the fire by withdrawing their partner application when the 'please explain’ arrived and lodging another application. The new 10 year ‘antecedents’ rule has put a spoke in this strategy.

For skilled visas, many applicants do not get past the mandatory skills assessment.

It is interesting that the minister publishes the percentage of applicants who are represented by RMAs across various visa application classes, but does not publish the relative success rates of DIY applicants cf. those using , unregistered agents or RMAs.

To a first order approximation, about half of all applicants/prospective applicants either f’up or give up.

14 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

Any regular member of the forum knows you are just trolling (by your own admission).

The problem is that non regular members may take you seriously and not know that you are providing advice from your own experience, from 20 years (or more) ago.There is no comparison with the Immigration process between now and then. Such old anecdotal evidence has absolutely no relevance to today and is helpful to no one.

The fact that you believe that the Immigration Process is simply a bit of form filling, evidences how out of touch you are. 

All other responses (whether for or against) except yours have been relevant and measured.

Please consider others before posting.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

Any regular member of the forum knows you are just trolling (by your own admission).

The problem is that non regular members may take you seriously and not know that you are providing advice from your own experience, from 20 years (or more) ago.There is no comparison with the Immigration process between now and then. Such old anecdotal evidence has absolutely no relevance to today and is helpful to no one.

The fact that you believe that the Immigration Process is simply a bit of form filling, evidences how out of touch you are. 

All other responses (whether for or against) except yours have been relevant and measured.

Please consider others before posting.

The problem is that things are written that others may not by choice  want to read. But I am not a troll and never stated as much. Every thing I state I firmly believe , in fact know it to be truthful. It may well not suit commercial aspects of some, but believe me I do have a reasonably good understanding of what goes on. A lot I do not disclose on the forum for obvious reasons. It remains clear if I get into a debate with a migration agent how the end result will be.

I do consider others only too well. Hence why I take the bother to post.