Salary negotiation Melbourne

Cldb

Hi all

I’ve just been offered a job with a 457 visa in Melbourne and I’m in the process of negotiating my wage. I currently get paid £42,000 pro rata in the UK and have been offered $79,800 which converted works roughly at 45k. If comparing like for like this is more than I get paid now  but taking into consideration the higher cost of living I’m thinking it would effectively be a pay cut. As much as it is a fantastic opportunity to live abroad I don’t want to go and end up struggling. My husband will be with me and will be job hunting when we get there. I’ve read somewhere about negotiating 2.2-2.5 in dollars to keep a potentially similar standard of living, is this correct? I would be grateful for any advice, I obviously want to negotiate as much as I can but also don’t want to get to the point where they tell me to get stuffed lol.

Thanks Peach, I already know the salary scales.

Im a social worker and they have offered me the lowest pay scale for my grade which when considering cost of living I'm not sure equates to a similar standard of living that i have now. I'm hoping to negotiate higher on the scale but also trying to figure out the lowest i can realistically accept without being skint.

Ok another way, UK average salary is 27K GBP (my keyboard doesn't have a pound sign) 42K pro-rata is 50% over the average. Average salary in Australia is around $80k.  So you'd only be on the average salary (assuming you're working equivalent hours).   Another comparison is your current income compared to local house prices/rents and the same for Melbourne.  What does 420,000 GBP buy you in your town?  What would $790,000 buy you in Melbourne where you will work? (in some areas not much).

42k GBP lifestyle in UK would be better than a 79k AUD lifestyle in AU. Rent costs itself in Mel would be high compared to the UK (unless you are coming from London).

I can understand that a low sterling is causing a low conversion for you. I would suggest aim for closer to 84k AUD.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Melb2016 said:

42k GBP lifestyle in UK would be better than a 79k AUD lifestyle in AU. Rent costs itself in Mel would be high compared to the UK (unless you are coming from London).

I can understand that a low sterling is causing a low conversion for you. I would suggest aim for closer to 84k AUD.

The usual multiplier is 2.5 so $100k would be nearer the mark and that is more in line with comparison with average salaries.

Be aware though that the spouse of temporary visa holders often struggles to get meaningful work - especially if they are hoping for something significant and career related.  They arent an attractive proposition to an employer because they can be off with only 60 days notice as many dependents have found to their cost.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. Managed to get a higher wage + Super. Not the 2.5 multiplier but will see how we go when we get out there. Thanks for the advice about hubby. He’s already sending CV’s out but quite aware it could be a tricky road at first. He’s a grafter so he will find something when he gets there even if it’s short term while looking for a career related job 

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 09:55, Cldb said:

Thanks for your replies. Managed to get a higher wage + Super. Not the 2.5 multiplier but will see how we go when we get out there. Thanks for the advice about hubby. He’s already sending CV’s out but quite aware it could be a tricky road at first. He’s a grafter so he will find something when he gets there even if it’s short term while looking for a career related job 

There are lots of skills that are genuinely in demand from employers here in Australia (I'm not talking about the so called 'skills in demand' list as many are of those aren't in demand I'm talking about skills that are genuinely needed but don't appear on any list) so if he can do one of those jobs he'll do well - but in the jobs that are oversupplied with people with Australian experience he'll struggle.

On 25/11/2017 at 09:25, Cldb said:

All employers are obliged to pay super for their employees I think the rate at the moment is 9.75% of the gross wage so if they have said they are doing that as an extra they are not ( unless its different on the visa your on )

4 hours ago, Patphillips47 said:

All employers are obliged to pay super for their employees I think the rate at the moment is 9.75% of the gross wage so if they have said they are doing that as an extra they are not ( unless its different on the visa your on )

There's a great deal of unscrupulous employers out there who quote a "salary package" inclusive of Super to make the amount they are paying sound higher. As a result the employers who do it properly often have to spell out that the figure they are quoting excludes Super. The rate is still 9.5% - when it was last increased from 9.25% in  2014 there had been a proposal to increase it by 0.25% every year until it reached 12% but this wasn't done. There's now a plan for it to increase by 0.5% a year from 2021 to get to 12% - but that probably won't be followed through either.

PS - Your visa doesn't affect your Super as your employer has to pay the same rate for everyone - except that with a temporary visa you can take the money out of Australia when you depart (although they've recently introduced a hefty tax bill on doing that).

Edited by Ken
Added PS
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
There are lots of skills that are genuinely in demand from employers here in Australia (I'm not talking about the so called 'skills in demand' list as many are of those aren't in demand I'm talking about skills that are genuinely needed but don't appear on any list) so if he can do one of those jobs he'll do well - but in the jobs that are oversupplied with people with Australian experience he'll struggle.
What are these skills your talking about?