Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

9 hours ago, Peach said:

lol.  Now I know you're smoking crack...

Why ? Does it irk you so much that supermarket staff are friendly and polite here, do you think it is only something you see in Australia ? The thing is it is perfectly possible for them to be polite and helpful in both countries which is exactly the way it is. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patphillips47 said:

Staff are supposed to ask to inspect and not say check - check is an implication that something is in your bag

Staff are not supposed to put their hands in your bag -if they want something moved so they can see into the bag they ask you to do it 

Most large retailers went to uniformed security a long time ago in an attempt to deter would be shop lifters 

CCTV is a minefield as there is a criteria for apprehension the same as coverts - I was a Store D (covert ) for years trust me its a tough job

It's interesting that we saw these bag checkers looking in bags every single time we went to Kmart or BigW and are bags were regularly inspected yet others say that it's only happened to them a couple of times over decades. I question the efficiency of the inspection as like you say they merely glance in the bag so I'm not sure it has much affect as the hardened shoplifters are savvy to this. 

2 minutes ago, bristolman said:

It's interesting that we saw these bag checkers looking in bags every single time we went to Kmart or BigW and are bags were regularly inspected yet others say that it's only happened to them a couple of times over decades. I question the efficiency of the inspection as like you say they merely glance in the bag so I'm not sure it has much affect as the hardened shoplifters are savvy to this. 

I agree.  It's probably just done to 'scare' would be shoplifters.  It's not done here in Devonport in any shop or store but when I was walking down a street where a rack of clothes was out on the pavement area, I saw a young bloke walk past and take a shirt off the rack and keep on walking so theft is a problem here.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, simmo said:

.  Maybe you don't notice it because you are old. 

•  

....but not blind. 

And still young enough to discern relevance.    I wasn't disputing the fact that shop lifting is a thing....but your implication that Australian supermarkets are swarming with security guards wanting to pounce on one's shopping.  It may have been true for your gated community in Brisbane but it sure ain't true everywhere.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Skani said:

....but not blind. 

And still young enough to discern relevance.    I wasn't disputing the fact that shop lifting is a thing....but your implication that Australian supermarkets are swarming with security guards wanting to pounce on one's shopping.  It may have been true for your gated community in Brisbane but it sure ain't true everywhere.

But surely that was exactly the inference made in the opening post when in fact it isn't true in either country.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Toots said:

I agree.  It's probably just done to 'scare' would be shoplifters.  It's not done here in Devonport in any shop or store but when I was walking down a street where a rack of clothes was out on the pavement area, I saw a young bloke walk past and take a shirt off the rack and keep on walking so theft is a problem here.

toots - if that's the level of problem where you are , consider yourself lucky ..good on ya

It definitely is different.  I and many others have said we personally haven't seen security guards uniformed wondering around stores or at the front looking through a screen like they do in the UK and Ireland.  It doesn't mean Australia doesn't have security, of course they must! It's just interesting Australia has adopted a different approach.  I did a shop yesterday in two large stores (big supermarket chains) and made sure I opened my eyes properly looking around for uniformed security guards. There weren't any. They must be plain clothed or have other methods (cctv, etc). There were a few guards in the large shopping centre however. Genuinely wondering why Australia has adopted a different approach. It's been an interesting thread! 

Just to add,  I just remembered I have a friend who is quite senior in marketing for a big supermarket. I sent him a message asking whether he knows if the greeters are actually security guards or not. Will respond once I hear back....

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

It definitely is different.  I and many others have said we personally haven't seen security guards uniformed wondering around stores or at the front looking through a screen like they do in the UK and Ireland.  It doesn't mean Australia doesn't have security, of course they must! It's just interesting Australia has adopted a different approach. Genuinely wondering why now, it's been an interesting thread! 

I went to K Mart, Target and Big W yesterday , only Kmart had someone on the door, she was a young chick in Kmart uniform who asked to see my receipt, looked at it, looked at my 6 bags in the trolley ,didnt touch anything and said ;ok thanks'.. If doing this stops some would be shop lifters then good on them. I was in the plaza 4 or 5 hours in total and didnt see a uniformed security guard anywhere.

Cal x

1 minute ago, calNgary said:

I went to K Mart, Target and Big W yesterday , only Kmart had someone on the door, she was a young chick in Kmart uniform who asked to see my receipt, looked at it, looked at my 6 bags in the trolley ,didnt touch anything and said ;ok thanks'.. If doing this stops some would be shop lifters then good on them. I was in the plaza 4 or 5 hours in total and didnt see a uniformed security guard anywhere.

Cal x

Yah. I don't imagine these greeters/bag checkers are actual security. I'll see what my friend says, although he'll probably wonder why the heck I'm asking! ... in fact, he may not know himself.

1 minute ago, Ozzie said:

Yah. I don't imagine these greeters/bag checkers are actual security. I'll see what my friend says, although he'll probably wonder why the heck I'm asking! ... in fact, he may not know himself.

He may think your looking to turn into a shiplifter,lol

Cal x

Kmart and other stores used to have a big sign saying it is a condition of entry to the store that your bag may be inspected when you leave.

I'm not sure if they still have those signs.

There is less need to check bags now as all the large stores have electronic things you walk past to exit the checkout area or at the store. These alarm if you have an unpaid item in your bag, as most stuff has security stickers on them.

Edited by Parley

2 minutes ago, calNgary said:

He may think your looking to turn into a shiplifter,lol

Cal x

I know! He'll think I'm a bit of a daftie I'm sure! Fired email off to him without thinking this morning....what a random email to receive from a friend first thing in a Friday morning ha!

11 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

I know! He'll think I'm a bit of a daftie I'm sure! Fired email off to him without thinking this morning....what a random email to receive from a friend first thing in a Friday morning ha!

AS I said before,  they don't need to search your bags.

The alarms go off if you go throught the door with something hidden in your bags.

Then the greeter will rugby tackle you to the ground.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

toots - if that's the level of problem where you are , consider yourself lucky ..good on ya

Devonport is a town of 25,000 people bunbury and for sure there is a bit of shifty stuff going on.  A newsagents was broken into in East Devonport recently and we do read reports of burglaries in the local paper.  There are also druggies around though I've never seen much of them.  We live in the boring, quiet end of town but do hear about 'stuff' that goes on in the other parts.

1 minute ago, Toots said:

Devonport is a town of 25,000 people bunbury and for sure there is a bit of shifty stuff going on.  A newsagents was broken into in East Devonport recently and we do read reports of burglaries in the local paper.  There are also druggies around though I've never seen much of them.  We live in the boring, quiet end of town but do hear about 'stuff' that goes on in the other parts.

I would love to visit Hobart. Definitely on one of my must sees whilst living in Australia. People say it's quite similar to Scotland scenery wise, is this true?

5 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

I would love to visit Hobart. Definitely on one of my must sees whilst living in Australia. People say it's quite similar to Scotland scenery wise, is this true?

Yes, parts of it remind me of Scotland especially the forests and lakes around Strathgordon and the wilderness areas.  I've also seen Highland cattle and belted Galloways on farms which remind me of 'home'.  :)

8 minutes ago, Toots said:

Yes, parts of it remind me of Scotland especially the forests and lakes around Strathgordon and the wilderness areas.  I've also seen Highland cattle and belted Galloways on farms which remind me of 'home'.  :)

Ahhh lovely. Probably shouldn't have read that, currently going through "missing home" phase! ?

6 hours ago, Ozzie said:

It definitely is different.  I and many others have said we personally haven't seen security guards uniformed wondering around stores or at the front looking through a screen like they do in the UK and Ireland.  It doesn't mean Australia doesn't have security, of course they must! It's just interesting Australia has adopted a different approach.  I did a shop yesterday in two large stores (big supermarket chains) and made sure I opened my eyes properly looking around for uniformed security guards. There weren't any. They must be plain clothed or have other methods (cctv, etc). There were a few guards in the large shopping centre however. Genuinely wondering why Australia has adopted a different approach. It's been an interesting thread! 

Just to add,  I just remembered I have a friend who is quite senior in marketing for a big supermarket. I sent him a message asking whether he knows if the greeters are actually security guards or not. Will respond once I hear back....

Make sure to keep us all updated. 

I eagerly await your senior marketing supermarket friend's reply. 

So, let's be clear.

Is having a uniformed security guard bad?

Would you prefer a uniformed security guard watching a ccvt  or bag checkers?

My answer to the OP is surely to stop/deter shop lifters occurances like this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3014504/Shocking-brawl-erupts-two-teenage-girls-busy-supermarket.html

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/companies/melbourne-families-brawl-over-discount-aldi-garden-furniture-video/news-story/6f8ce38da6557c8fc45dad16b574e7cc