Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

1 minute ago, Peach said:

So what?  My experience is different to yours?  Maybe they've removed them all in the six years I've been away -- I'm happy to acknowledge that.  But it doesn't make me a liar for saying that they were something I saw a lot of. 

you wont see any grills in cheltenham..bristol ..far too affluent .

iam in inner city brum..wolvrhampton...west brom ..tipton ..where even the Rottweilers go around in pairs ?...and I have never seen grills on the windows .....i will look out now

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

you wont see any grills in cheltenham..bristol ..far too affluent .

iam in inner city brum..wolvrhampton...west brom ..tipton ..where even the Rottweilers go around in pairs ?...and I have never seen grills on the windows .....i will look out now

Don't bother, I doubt you will see many. 

32 minutes ago, Peach said:

Some would argue that a certain side of the debate is tireless at the digging up of negative stories, my team won, everything is so cheap... Every post from some is a dig at someone else.  It's just grinding. Yeah, this was post was a dig on my part -- but I don't see the back fire.  Go to any ground floor office or residence in central London, Bath, Gloucester, Cheltenham etc 'Grilles' are a common site.

window-grille-muswell-hill-kitchen-2.jpg

I will genuinely look now peach , and I will hold my hands up ,if I haven't noticed them .

as bad as some areas of the u.k are ...we still have a long way to go to compete with Detroit , st Louis and plenty of others

And there you have it.. tit for tat.  If I want to have an opinion (based on my 36 years living in the UK), I've got to be prepared to fight for eternity defending it.  I'll produce a link, someone else will produce another that contradicts and 216 pages later we have the Brexit thread.  Victory is yours fellas.  And they wonder why folk don't post here no more..

1 minute ago, bristolman said:

Don't bother, I doubt you will see many. 

what I want to know is where is the value in this post .

parts of inner city Britain are rough - absolutely .

do w have the disparity between rich and poor that the u.s and Australia have - no we don't .

shall I put up some pictures of some aboriginal communities...and really pore petrol on the fire ..whats the point ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

I think that ,sadly its inevitable that elements of Australia have already caught up ...there are virtual no go areas in Sydney and Melbourne , and I take no pleasure in saying that , because I see it here .

in relation to Melbourne ...it takes all sorts , because as you know ,Melbourne does nothing for me ., and that was way before the 7 years in a row

there is almost a defence mechanism that goes up , when there is a hint of parity or criticism of anything Australian .

I think it must be some form of insecurity .

The facts are the bad parts of Australia are as bad as the bad parts of the UK, it's just the way it is.

Yes, massive insecurity. 

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

what I want to know is where is the value in this post .

parts of inner city Britain are rough - absolutely .

do w have the disparity between rich and poor that the u.s and Australia have - no we don't .

shall I put up some pictures of some aboriginal communities...and really pore petrol on the fire ..whats the point ?

The value of the original post ? There is no value, Peach has admitted it was some sort of 'revenge'. 

14 minutes ago, Peach said:

And there you have it.. tit for tat.  If I want to have an opinion (based on my 36 years living in the UK), I've got to be prepared to fight for eternity defending it.  I'll produce a link, someone else will produce another that contradicts and 216 pages later we have the Brexit thread.  Victory is yours fellas.  And they wonder why folk don't post here no more..

the tit for tat is purely unintentional peach ...i genuinely haven't seen them

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

The value of the original post ? There is no value, Peach has admitted it was some sort of 'revenge'. 

......................  but, but, but  you are just as bad bristolman.  You constantly knock Australia and keep telling us how perfect your life in the UK is and I mean any chance you get.  I think it's fantastic that you enjoy life so much there but some of us have a great life here too.  Just accept that most of us are happy with our lot both the PIO members in the UK and in Australia.  We don't need all this daft comparison stuff every bloody second thread.

• Like 5

A thread to start an argument and obviously a UK V Oz by the poster, AS  someone who grew up with gated communities and bars on windows in S.Africa I must say I feel safer in the UK than in Perth, so many more windows with bars in Oz. I have never seen bars on windows in the UK and never armed police?? in Oz all the police are armed and I hated the way they checked your shopping on the way out of a supermarket in Oz, thAt would never happen in the UK.

1 hour ago, Perthbum said:

I have never seen bars on windows in the UK 

So all those UK firms advertising security grilles for homeowners do it just for fun?   xD

I hated the way they checked your shopping on the way out of a supermarket in Oz,

You must have looked particularly dodgy .    In all my many decades in Oz I have never once had my shopping checked -  either in a supermarket or department store.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Skani said:

So all those UK firms advertising security grilles for homeowners do it just for fun?   xD

You must have looked particularly dodgy .    In all my many decades in Oz I have never once had my shopping checked -  either in a supermarket or department store.

In Sydney CBD a few shops checked bags -  it didn't bother me at all.  It wasn't as if I was the only  person being singled out and of course I had nothing to hide. 

Having lived and worked in Edinburgh, Falkirk, Glasgow, London, Dublin, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and quite a fair few places in between, I can say from my personal experience I've noted there are more security guards in the UK in supermarkets. Now that I think a bit harder about it, I don't think I've actually seen a security guard in a supermarket in Australia, perhaps they're very clever and I just haven't noticed them. The guards are very obvious in the UK usually sat at a 'booth' with a tv or in the entrance as you enter a store and wandering around. What Australia seems to have that UK doesn't are the 'greeters/bag checkers' on the way in / out. I always wondered how they could really see in a bag in two seconds but maybe it's just the 'idea' of it that helps. Someone once told me that along Princes St in Edinburgh the guards are all connected so that if one can't catch someone running out, the guard in the next store, or store after might. Not sure if that's true or not

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, Perthbum said:

A thread to start an argument and obviously a UK V Oz by the poster, AS  someone who grew up with gated communities and bars on windows in S.Africa I must say I feel safer in the UK than in Perth, so many more windows with bars in Oz. I have never seen bars on windows in the UK and never armed police?? in Oz all the police are armed and I hated the way they checked your shopping on the way out of a supermarket in Oz, thAt would never happen in the UK.

but on balance pb , I got talking to a copper about to retire in bunbury ...he had never drawn his gun

46 minutes ago, Ozzie said:

Having lived and worked in Edinburgh, Falkirk, Glasgow, London, Dublin, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and quite a fair few places in between, I can say from my personal experience I've noted there are more security guards in the UK in supermarkets. Now that I think a bit harder about it, I don't think I've actually seen a security guard in a supermarket in Australia, perhaps they're very clever and I just haven't noticed them. The guards are very obvious in the UK usually sat at a 'booth' with a tv or in the entrance as you enter a store and wandering around. What Australia seems to have that UK doesn't are the 'greeters/bag checkers' on the way in / out. I always wondered how they could really see in a bag in two seconds but maybe it's just the 'idea' of it that helps. Someone once told me that along Princes St in Edinburgh the guards are all connected so that if one can't catch someone running out, the guard in the next store, or store after might. Not sure if that's true or not

I imagine that's true for all the major cities in the UK .

10 hours ago, Perthbum said:

Al I must say I feel safer in the UK than in Perth, so many more windows with bars in Oz. I have never seen bars on windows in the UK and never armed police?? 

These kind of comments I find very strange and seem to emphasise a naive bias. Do you live under a rock? I spent a lot of time back in the UK in the last 12 months and saw a lot of police, bars on windows and crime. I really think the UK and Aus are probably on a close par. If you live in middle class suburbia in Oz or the UK, or you live in the dodgy areas of either the experiences are going to be different.  

I was surprised to see armed police walking around shopping centres in the UK recently, something I thought was overkill and unnecessary. Very disappointing. 

27 minutes ago, CaptainR said:

These kind of comments I find very strange and seem to emphasise a naive bias. Do you live under a rock? I spent a lot of time back in the UK in the last 12 months and saw a lot of police, bars on windows and crime. I really think the UK and Aus are probably on a close par. If you live in middle class suburbia in Oz or the UK, or you live in the dodgy areas of either the experiences are going to be different.  

I was surprised to see armed police walking around shopping centres in the UK recently, something I thought was overkill and unnecessary. Very disappointing. 

I wouldn't for a minute disagree with you .

but I work all over the west midlands , and SEE very little crime , although I obviously here of a lot , and see potential for plenty ,and often see the helicopter up

the last incident I saw ,was a road rage fist fight between two old boys in brum .

yes , armed police in public places is on the rise ....probably a reaction to terrorists blowing up children at a music concert

and when I said I hadn't seen bars on windows , I wasn't kidding , and I work in the worst ( and the best ) areas

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

but I work all over the west midlands , and SEE very little crime , although I obviously here of a lot , and see potential for plenty ,and often see the helicopter up

the last incident I saw ,was a road rage fist fight between two old boys in brum .

yes , armed police in public places is on the rise ....probably a reaction to terrorists blowing up children at a music concert

and when I said I hadn't seen bars on windows , I wasn't kidding , and I work in the worst ( and the best ) areas

Yep. I just get annoyed with some of the silly Aus vs UK posts along the lines of ‘it rains unicorn poop in the UK vs Oz everyday’. Some of it just gets ridiculous.

Both countries have crime and both countries have good and bad areas, if you live in the nice areas you probably have no idea how bad the bad areas are except for whats in the papers. 

The police helicopter provides a cooling effect for the heat waves in South Yorkshire just as it does in Sydney’s West! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Parley said:

Maybe that's why we love it so much.

And why Melbourne is the world's most liveable city 7 years in a row.

I hope we don't "catch up"to Britain or the US.

Catch up to Britain????? police are armed in Oz and you have 4 times the number of people killed by firearms than the UK.....USA is a different matter.

8 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

I have never seen bars on people houses in the UK....I did in south africa and in australia see quite a few.