Why do UK supermarkets need uniformed security guard?

Peach

I often wondered why they're much less common in Australia?  Quite threatening to see a security desk in ASDA IMHO, but I guess I got used to it.

Also, I was also shocked by the number of cities in the UK where people put bars on their windows.  Here in Canberra, my windows don't even need locks. 

A different world indeed.

Just now, Peach said:

I often wondered why they're much less common in Australia?  Quite threatening to see a security desk in ASDA IMHO, but I guess I got used to it.

Also, I was also shocked by the number of cities in the UK where people put bars on their windows.  Here in Canberra, my windows don't even need locks. 

The Coles I used to go to in Sydney CBD had uniformed security guards.  Also nearer the city centre in Sydney it was common to see houses with security grills on the windows.  We didn't have any and we were never burgled.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Toots said:

The Coles I used to go to in Sydney CBD had uniformed security guards.  Also nearer the city centre in Sydney it was common to see houses with security grills on the windows.  We didn't have any and we were never burgled.

Yes you certainly see them in Australian supermarkets and you most certainly see security grilles, not such a different world at all lol. We don't even have locks on our windows and our cars are never locked either. 

22 minutes ago, Peach said:

Here in Scotland I couldn't even tell you where my front door key is as I have never used it. Doors are just kept unlocked. Some of my neighbours not only don't lock their car doors, but leave the keys in the ignition over night. 

In Oz, a huge number of houses where we lived were not only kept locked but with steel shutters over the windows. 

None of the supermarkets I have visited in Scotland, even in central Glasgow have a uniformed security. Only time I have was in Newcastle. 

• Like 2

This tickled me too.. http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/23/sainsburys-accused-of-racism-for-security-tagging-cans-of-jamaican-ackee-6799450/

Imagine having to lock away items costing less than a fiver?  Even in rural Wiltshire, my local corner shop kept the instant coffee behind the counter.  Too many shoplifters needing a caffeine fix, I guess.

Edited by Peach

6 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Here in Scotland I couldn't even tell you where my front door key is as I have never used it. Doors are just kept unlocked. Some of my neighbours not only don't lock their car doors, but leave the keys in the ignition over night. 

In Oz, a huge number of houses where we lived were not only kept locked but with steel shutters over the windows. 

None of the supermarkets I have visited in Scotland, even in central Glasgow have a uniformed security. Only time I have was in Newcastle. 

Yes I have been guilty of leaving the keys in the car on occasion. 

I think they have them in the UK as the larger supermarkets also sell many home items, such as TV’s, vacuums, microwaves etc plus a large range of clothing, DVD’s, shoes and more. Tbh I got used to seeing them shopping in the UK and didn’t think anything of it. 

3 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Bars on windows in Sydney are a must for ground floor bedrooms. No way I would sleep with the window open without them and you can't sleep in summer with the window closed.

Why is that?  Must admit I've not been to many houses in Sydney, I've not seen any bars in other Aus cities.  Is there an issue with burglary in Sydney?

Edited by Peach

3 minutes ago, snifter said:

I think they have them in the UK as the larger supermarkets also sell many home items, such as TV’s, vacuums, microwaves etc plus a large range of clothing, DVD’s, shoes and more. Tbh I got used to seeing them shopping in the UK and didn’t think anything of it. 

I can't say I have ever even noticed them to be honest and certainly never felt threatened by them lol

1 minute ago, snifter said:

Memory is getting hazy, but I'm sure they appeared in the UK before the supermarkets became megastores.  Can't say it bothered me, just wondered why they felt they needed such a visible presence. 

Just now, Peach said:

Why is that?  Must admit I've not been too many houses in Sydney, I've not seen any bars in other Aus cities.  Is there an issue with burglary in Sydney?

No more than any other city. But it gets vey hot and in older houses the bedroom is often at the front. Leaving the window wide open to cool down and going into the living room at the back would be like leaving your front door wide open. Many front doors have a lockable grill as well so they can be left open for ventilation. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Bars on windows in Sydney are a must for ground floor bedrooms. No way I would sleep with the window open without them and you can't sleep in summer with the window closed.

I used to see them all the time in Brisbane, especially as you got closer to the city. No doubt the same in the other cities as well. 

3 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

No more than any other city. But it gets vey hot and in older houses the bedroom is often at the front. Leaving the window wide open to cool down and going into the living room at the back would be like leaving your front door wide open. Many front doors have a lockable grill as well so they can be left open for ventilation. 

Exactly, burglary is a big problem in every city. 

4 minutes ago, bristolman said:

I can't say I have ever even noticed them to be honest and certainly never felt threatened by them lol

I didn’t say I had felt threatened by them. Stop seeing words that aren’t there in my post O.o

Just now, bristolman said:

@snifterNo I was responding to the comment in the original post, you may not have seen that. 

You were quoting my post in your reply. Perhaps use the multi post quote feature to avoid confusion. 

Or refer to the person you are replying to so at least they and others know.