$25k Super

Johnny Kash

Gday all,

Returning to UK early next year.   Ive got one of those tricky Super balances (around $25k) thats clearly not a great amount in the grand retirement scheme of things, but, for me anyway enough to bother about and Ive worked for it so....

Looking for advice on what to do with it.   Citizen so cant withdraw until preservation age in 15 yrs.  

Ive cancelled all insurances and switched to an aggressive high growth fund in the hope that it grows or at least doesnt drain due to charges. 

Are there any other options?   Can I combine my Super with my wife's (I dont think this is possible?).    Ive been told you can make contributions when back over in the UK, but to me that doesnt seem wise unless maybe the exchange rate swings and the pound gets strong/AUD weak?  Has anyone actually done this?

Im guessing theres a point at which Super balances pay for themselves even if you stop contributing whereby gains outweigh fees and inflation, allowing for ups and downs of course.  Ive no idea what this would be but suspect it might be around what Ive got or maybe a bit higher??

Any input welcome, cheers

On 17/11/2017 at 20:47, Johnny Kash said:

Gday all,

Returning to UK early next year.   Ive got one of those tricky Super balances (around $25k) thats clearly not a great amount in the grand retirement scheme of things, but, for me anyway enough to bother about and Ive worked for it so....

Looking for advice on what to do with it.   Citizen so cant withdraw until preservation age in 15 yrs.  

Ive cancelled all insurances and switched to an aggressive high growth fund in the hope that it grows or at least doesnt drain due to charges. 

Are there any other options?   Can I combine my Super with my wife's (I dont think this is possible?).    Ive been told you can make contributions when back over in the UK, but to me that doesnt seem wise unless maybe the exchange rate swings and the pound gets strong/AUD weak?  Has anyone actually done this?

Im guessing theres a point at which Super balances pay for themselves even if you stop contributing whereby gains outweigh fees and inflation, allowing for ups and downs of course.  Ive no idea what this would be but suspect it might be around what Ive got or maybe a bit higher??

Can you not self manage your super? It will take away all the pesky charges .l hear a few do self manage over here, could be tricky from the UK ... 

17 hours ago, Chris N Lora said:

Can you not self manage your super? It will take away all the pesky charges .l hear a few do self manage over here, could be tricky from the UK ... 

Thanks, I did have a quick look at this but didnt think it was feasible on lower balances (under the $100k mark)

• Like 1

On 17/11/2017 at 19:47, Johnny Kash said:

Gday all,

My wife left Oz in 1997 and returned in 2015.  Her small Super balance tripled in that time.  Cancelling all insurances and picking a low charges fund should do it.