Just moved back to Oz, on opening our furniture we found quite a lot of damage. After contacting the insurance company we have just been told we are entitled to £67.50, wow, turns out there is a 1% excess on the policy.

My advice, think carefully and check your policy, these companies rely on you being stressed and pre-occupied, it may not be worth taking out insurance, when you consider the premium. 

It may be cheaper to save the premium and use it for replacements or repairs, in my case premium £348,  compensation £67.50. 

Edited by snifter
changed title

Alas this is often the case when using a shipping companies own insurance. It’s highly recommended to use an independent as they are much more reliable and settle easily. 

I believe that as margins are so tight for shipping companies, insurance is an important factor for them when it comes to profitability. Generally speaking, I'd imagine a high percentage of customers must take out the shipping companies own insurance due to the persuasive upselling by the rep, the idea of having everything taken care of by the same company or simply not being aware of the fact that you can take out your own insurance.

Just for info for anyone who will be shipping, the 2 major players in the UK are http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/ & 'Insure Your Move' I believe they will both insure for people moving in both directions - From & To Australia.