Resident & Non-resident joint a/c? (Aus)

HibiscusDreams

They have a number to call if calling from overseas. I'd just get up early one morning or stay up late one night and give them a call. 

I'm not familiar with them as a bank. One of the smaller ones. If they don't accept it, perhaps consider opening an account with one of the bigger banks that do allow 2 people on the account while in different countries. 

Yes, it's possible in that you can have a joint account with a resident and a non-resident. Note that the interest will be split 50-50 from the date it becomes a joint account. On the non-resident's half 10% tax will be withheld and none on the resident's (provided the bank have their tax file number) so it will look on the statement as if 5% tax is being withheld. The resident tax payer will however have to put their 50% of the interest on their tax return and pay tax on it at the year end. You'll have to work out if that's in your best interest as a couple. 

PS. Just re read your original post and realise I need to ask: Are you sure your fiancée is a resident and not a non resident like you? I'm just thinking if you're living in the UK maybe she's an Australian living in the UK which would make her a non-resident too.

Edited by Ken
Added PS
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ken said:

Yes, it's possible in that you can have a joint account with a resident and a non-resident. Note that the interest will be split 50-50 from the date it becomes a joint account. On the non-resident's half 10% tax will be withheld and none on the resident's (provided the bank have their tax file number) so it will look on the statement as if 5% tax is being withheld. The resident tax payer will however have to put their 50% of the interest on their tax return and pay tax on it at the year end. You'll have to work out if that's in your best interest as a couple. 

PS. Just re read your original post and realise I need to ask: Are you sure your fiancée is a resident and not a non resident like you? I'm just thinking if you're living in the UK maybe she's an Australian living in the UK which would make her a non-resident too.

HI Ken,

Thanks for that, really useful info :) - Yea, my fiancee is Aus resident, just got back from visiting a few weeks ago!

1 hour ago, HibiscusDreams said:

Just a head's up for anyone else following this. Called my bank (Bendigo) and it is not possible to do this unless you visit the branch in person to confirm :( A tad inconvenient.

I’d say that’s normal banking practice tbf. I’ve had to do the same in the past and sign paperwork etc along with the person being added. Plus ID etc is checked.