First winter back

Pixie77

So it's our first winter/Christmas back in the UK for 6years, I'm loving the cool, fresh, sharp weather, wrapping up warm. I'm hoping for snow-our children have never seen it. The Christmas lights in the dark & cold still bring a sense of excitement to me. And Bonfire night - I love it, Halloween the kids loved it-no clue what it was about but trick or treating = happy kids. 

I'm loving belonging, it makes me smile at the English-ness of  things-queuing for everything, the driving - waves/flashing lights- to say no you first, thanks etc. Little things that of course you live without & don't really think of but once you're home you realise you missed. 

So leading up to our first proper wintery family Christmas with our children, parents, siblings & extended family I'm so confident we made the right move & so happy we're here. Dont get me wrong, we've had a financially rough ride & still haven't secured a house yet but that will come & it really feels life is too short to miss out on the people in your life..... 

• Like 7

We moved back to the UK a couple of months ago, and like you we're looking forwards to our first cold Christmas for nine years.  We're up on the southern edge of the Scottish highlands, and we had our first few flakes of snow yesterday!  The kids happened to be outside on their playtime break, and were beyond excited when I picked them up from school!  Goodness knows how excited they'll be when it actually settles!

I'm just wondering whether winter is going to start, out and about in Hereford today in shorts and t-shirt lol

This year is the first year in his life that my DH is planning on wearing leggings to cycle! He’s got to nearly 70 proudly always having biked in shorts but he’s had chilblains this past few years and apparently leggings and overshoes are the answer. He’s bought them but I’m not sure when he’s actually going to bite the bullet and wear them! I had to take my fleece off on my walk into town today, too hot!
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pixie77 said:

So it's our first winter/Christmas back in the UK for 6years, I'm loving the cool, fresh, sharp weather, wrapping up warm. I'm hoping for snow-our children have never seen it. The Christmas lights in the dark & cold still bring a sense of excitement to me. And Bonfire night - I love it, Halloween the kids loved it-no clue what it was about but trick or treating = happy kids. 

I'm loving belonging, it makes me smile at the English-ness of  things-queuing for everything, the driving - waves/flashing lights- to say no you first, thanks etc. Little things that of course you live without & don't really think of but once you're home you realise you missed. 

So leading up to our first proper wintery family Christmas with our children, parents, siblings & extended family I'm so confident we made the right move & so happy we're here. Dont get me wrong, we've had a financially rough ride & still haven't secured a house yet but that will come & it really feels life is too short to miss out on the people in your life..... 

we need a sharp drop in temps pixie to get some real cold ...personally , this will do me thanks ?

WP_20171114_13_34_06_Pro.jpg

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

we need a sharp drop in temps pixie to get some real cold ...personally , this will do me thanks ?

WP_20171114_13_34_06_Pro.jpg

13c isnt particularly warm by oz standards BUT again there is no wind ....no biting winds ....no wind , rain , sleet and snow ...but its the lack of wind that are making the weather very acceptable ...it isn't cold at all

1 minute ago, bunbury61 said:

13c isnt particularly warm by oz standards BUT again there is no wind ....no biting winds ....no wind , rain , sleet and snow ...but its the lack of wind that are making the weather very acceptable ...it isn't cold at all

To be fair I'm not saying 13c is warm, it just isn't cold, not even close. 

still 2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

on this one i agree with bristol ...i had to take my work coat off ...down to 2 layers ....as you can see from some of my previous pics ...leaves are still on the trees

9 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

on this one i agree with bristol ...i had to take my work coat off ...down to 2 layers ....as you can see from some of my previous pics ...leaves are still on the trees

Down to 2 layers lol. I rarely even wear 2 layers ? I see they have predicted another hard winter ?

I am loving the crisp autumn days too but I have to say the summer was dire.

Good luck with the house hunting Pixie, best not to get me started on that topic. Called the solicitor today to ask where the searches were. She emailed them last week but they  went in to my junk folder and I missed them. She never thought to call me. My conveyancer in Aus was way sharper. 

The environmental search suggests risk of flash flooding, coming from Sydney where storms regularly produced 30mm in half an hour this is not something I am too concerned about especially as the house is mid way up a hill.

Oh and BT promise me I will have broadband within 14 days of moving in. Bloody marvelous.

5 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

I am loving the crisp autumn days too but I have to say the summer was dire.

Good luck with the house hunting Pixie, best not to get me started on that topic. Called the solicitor today to ask where the searches were. She emailed them last week but they  went in to my junk folder and I missed them. She never thought to call me. My conveyancer in Aus was way sharper. 

The environmental search suggests risk of flash flooding, coming from Sydney where storms regularly produced 30mm in half an hour this is not something I am too concerned about especially as the house is mid way up a hill.

Oh and BT promise me I will have broadband within 14 days of moving in. Bloody marvelous.

Are you in Scotland or up North ? It's just that the summer down here was fine, we didn't have to put the top up on the car once during the summer lol

Just now, bristolman said:

Are you in Scotland or up North ? It's just that the summer down here was fine, we didn't have to put the top up on the car once during the summer lol

Birmingham. There were 2 good weekends the rest of the time it was around 20c and rained most days. September was particularly bad. It wasn't cold but it wasn't  nice either.  I did notice temps in the SE tended to be 5c higher

4 minutes ago, ScottieGirl said:

Birmingham. There were 2 good weekends the rest of the time it was around 20c and rained most days. September was particularly bad. It wasn't cold but it wasn't  nice either.  I did notice temps in the SE tended to be 5c higher

Oh OK, well we are Herefordshire so not a million miles away. 2 good weekends and it rained most days ? Low to mid 20s is perfect for me. 

12 hours ago, Pixie77 said:

... the driving - waves/flashing lights- to say no you first, thanks etc. 

Sorry, just saw this and it's actually one of my absolute pet hates. I sometimes wonder how many accidents are caused in the UK by people choosing to ignore road rules and 'be polite', it seems to cause confusion at times and I think its something that on busy roads just doesn't have a place. Let me drive in Germany any day of the week vs the UK. 

I had last winter back in the UK, for some reason warm climates are better suited to me. I absolutely loved the climate in the Middle East, waking up every day knowing that the sun would be shining. However, there are some occasion times where I miss winter. I loved the run up to Christmas in Europe drinking mulled wine at the Christmas fairs, everyone wrapped up in black or brown coats. 

12 hours ago, CaptainR said:

Sorry, just saw this and it's actually one of my absolute pet hates. I sometimes wonder how many accidents are caused in the UK by people choosing to ignore road rules and 'be polite', it seems to cause confusion at times and I think its something that on busy roads just doesn't have a place. Let me drive in Germany any day of the week vs the UK. 

I have never found it causes confusion, I love the fact that drivers here are so courteous. I'm not sure how politeness can be a pet hate lol. On the rare occasion someone did it in Australia my wife used to say they must be English lol. Give me courteous polite drivers anyway. 

• Like 4

On 14/11/2017 at 10:37, Pixie77 said:

It's a combination of all the little things that add up really. Like you I am loving the polite drivers, it just makes driving so much more pleasurable lol

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:37, Pixie77 said:

On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:37, Pixie77 said:

pixie - you have had a lesson in priorities , and the things that are most important to you .

we have had a tough time , at times , but if family is priority no1 ,then iam afraid that's the way you are made , and nothing will change it .

being away has probably made you realise that .

ENJOY IT

• Like 1