Grandfathering Arrangements 457 to 186/187

Raul Senise

More details about grandfathering arrangements for people who held or applied for a subclass 457 before 18 April 2017:

"People who held, or had applied for, a subclass 457 visa on 18 April 2017 will be able to access certain existing provisions under the Temporary Residence Transition stream:

- occupation requirements remain the same (i.e. there are no restrictions as long as the nominee continues to work in the same position for the same employer as approved for their subclass 457 visa);

- the age requirement will remain at less than 50 years of age; and

- the work experience requirement, and the requirement to have worked at least two out of the three years prior to nomination on a subclass 457, will remain at two years."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi, I am currently on a 457 visa that I have held since July 2016. Will this mean I am judged by the old rules and be eligible to be nominated for residency after 2 years with employer? Or will I have to work an extra year to make 3 years which the new visa rules state?  If I’m judged under new rules, can’t really see this being a grandfathering approach.  TIA,  Jake

16 hours ago, Samson said:

Would I be correct to think with this new advice, that even though my occupation is on the STSOL because I applied before april 2017, I would be entitled to PR Via the temp transition? 

Same question i would like to ask

Apply before April. Approved after April in STSOL 

19 hours ago, Samson said:

Would I be correct to think with this new advice, that even though my occupation is on the STSOL because I applied before april 2017, I would be entitled to PR Via the temp transition? 

3 hours ago, acc0101 said:

Same question i would like to ask

Apply before April. Approved after April in STSOL 

Based on the latest information, it would appear that you will qualify once you have been employed and sponsored on your 457 for two years.

We will only now for certain once the new Regulations are released in March 2018.

• 10 months later...

Hi Raul,

My 457 visa was granted August 2015 and I changed employer April last year before the changes was made. I will be two years soon in my current employer but my occupation is not in the list anymore.

Can I still apply for PR under 186 (via grandfathering)?