300 - Prospective Marriage visa query

HibiscusDreams

20 minutes ago, HibiscusDreams said:

I spoke to the Immi enquiry line yesterday asking how bridging visas would work in case my PMV hasn't been processed by the time of my wedding, so in other words how I'd bridge from an eVisitor to the 309 Partner Visa. Immi informed me that I couldn't apply to convert the application from 300 to 309 whilst inside Australia, and that I'd have to leave Australia after the wedding, and apply from another country and wait for it to be approved. 

Obviously this scares me a lot.

For the first time in this process, I really do feel out of my depth and that I'm just being toyed with by Immi for their amusement ?

Well, you have only yourself to blame because you've decided to exploit a loophole  to get to Australia earlier than if you followed the normal process.  

However, never trust what they say on the phone.  You are only talking to a customer service person who may not know all the complexities.  If you're trying to do something this complicated, and it's important to you, then  you should have a good agent handle it for you.  They know the rules a lot better than some clerk in Immigration.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, HibiscusDreams said:

OK all, so maybe advice, or maybe just some comfort needed here lol - not sure which, but I'm a bit worried. I spoke to the Immi enquiry line yesterday asking how bridging visas would work in case my PMV hasn't been processed by the time of my wedding, so in other words how I'd bridge from an eVisitor to the 309 Partner Visa. Immi informed me that I couldn't apply to convert the application from 300 to 309 whilst inside Australia, and that I'd have to leave Australia after the wedding, and apply from another country and wait for it to be approved. 

Obviously this scares me a lot. Not only because the idea of potentially being seperated from my parnter for another 2 years potentially feels me with dread and depression, but also because this goes against completely what my understanding of how the process works.

Looking up the Bridging Visas online, I found this: Bridging Visa C (class 030) - https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/030- - which covers the bridge from an non-substantive to a substantive visa, which would seem to cover exactly this sort of issue.

So, am I missing something here, or is this a viable solution to my (potential/feared - if the PMV isn't granted in time) problem? Also, can the application for a PMV be converted within Australia or not? I understand an application for a 309 can't be made fresh whilst in Australia, but does this still apply for converting an existing application (for PMV) that was indeed made outside the country? If it does have to made outside Australia, can I still apply for the BVC?

For the first time in this process, I really do feel out of my depth and that I'm just being toyed with by Immi for their amusement ?

You can't apply onshore for a 309. It would have to be an 820/801.

If someone arrived on a tourist visa they could then apply after marriage for a 820, that would then give them a Bridging Visa A until the 820 is granted (currently 2- 3 years).  Whether the application for the 300 could be changed to a 820 I'm not sure  I'd say you need professional advice, NOT DoHA call centre advice. I would also doubt that you could get a Bridging Visa A as the original application was lodged offshore, but again, get a professional view. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm thinking this might be an agent one. Any recommendations for this would be super-useful. I don't really want a full package, as the main application is already in and I'm happy to do the paperwork myself, I just really want an advice and guidance session or two (I don't have thousands to spare, so it's also a case of what I can afford!), if there is someone who can do that, ideally specialized in partner visas for UK/EU citizens.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

You can't apply onshore for a 309. It would have to be an 820/801.

If someone arrived on a tourist visa they could then apply after marriage for a 820, that would then give them a Bridging Visa A until the 820 is granted (currently 2- 3 years).  Whether the application for the 300 could be changed to a 820 I'm not sure  I'd say you need professional advice, NOT DoHA call centre advice. I would also doubt that you could get a Bridging Visa A as the original application was lodged offshore, but again, get a professional view. 

Thanks for your take, Nemesis - appreciate the heads up ?

1 hour ago, HibiscusDreams said:

Yeah, I'm thinking this might be an agent one. Any recommendations for this would be super-useful. I don't really want a full package, as the main application is already in and I'm happy to do the paperwork myself, I just really want an advice and guidance session or two (I don't have thousands to spare, so it's also a case of what I can afford!), if there is someone who can do that, ideally specialized in partner visas for UK/EU citizens.

I’ve pmd you!

• Like 1

@HibiscusDreams You can change Visa type from 300 to 309 via Immi account. A lot of women/men did it already. 

There is a special form you can fill out after the wedding, you lodge this form along with the marriage cerificate and all the confirmations of the relationship. Don't forget that Department pays more attention whether all four sides of relationship are proved or not if you apply for a 309 visa. 

The Visa type could be changed onshore, but you will have to leave Australia when the department will be ready to grant you the visa. they will inform you anyway. 

So my plans to get out there for November have kind of been stopped dead in their tracks. Accepted an offer on my house July 10th and today I had to put it back on the market as the lender is messing around too much.  It may still work out but my planned date to fly out for 3rd November is looking unlikely ?

gutted

1 hour ago, CEP said:

So my plans to get out there for November have kind of been stopped dead in their tracks. Accepted an offer on my house July 10th and today I had to put it back on the market as the lender is messing around too much.  It may still work out but my planned date to fly out for 3rd November is looking unlikely ?

gutted

That's bad news Cep, but you still have a bit of time fingers crossed and you never know things can move really quickly once they get underway ?

@spangle 1it’s more the notice I have to give in work. To stay on track I need to hand it in at the end of this month. Unfortunately having looked at my buyers lender, this delaying tactic has been used over and over until they go “no sorry, we can’t finance the purchase”. Ironically an Australian company too.

meanwhile I live in hope that the PMV queue will magically start to move....

5 minutes ago, CEP said:

@spangle 1it’s more the notice I have to give in work. To stay on track I need to hand it in at the end of this month. Unfortunately having looked at my buyers lender, this delaying tactic has been used over and over until they go “no sorry, we can’t finance the purchase”. Ironically an Australian company too.

I do sympathise; I ended up taking a much lower offer on mine in the end because my buyer played a great game ? and I couldn't ever see an end to it probably not my finest hour or decision but at the time it was the best I could do and of course everything looks different with hindsight. All I can say is that all of the heartache does count in the end because you and your partner know how much you've been tested...something people in conventional relationships hardly ever face little consolation I know ?

55 minutes ago, CEP said:

Oh sorry about that ? What a pain for you regarding house. Really hope that sorts itself so you can at least stick to your plans to go in November.

I had a visa melt down this week because I’m sick of having my entire life on hold. Even planning Xmas is proving difficult and money/time off getting tight while we continue to go back and forward between UK & Oz. But I know I just have to continue to wait for the PMV answer. Honestly I feel I’ve got more chance of seeing a herd of ??? at the moment than actually getting a decision anytime soon!

• 1 month later...

Been a while since anyone posted here so, fingers crossed 🤞 everyone is doing ok. Quick update from me; finally lodged my 820 application this week and got my bridging visa (for anyone wondering you are issued with bridging visa A once you apply but have to apply for a bridging visa B if you need to leave Australia) for now it's back to the waiting. 😐

Hey @spangle 1 that's great news congrats on all the hard work. Where u notified when you were on the BVA. How long after lodging onshore did it take to 'kick in'? 

My PMV expires 12th Dec and il lodge my 2nd stage on 4th Dec.

All in all how are things going there? did u find is difficult to adjust or are you still learning the ways of the Australians?

Hi Nikisha, yes I was given the bridging visa A when my application was lodged. Although it's not active until my 300 expires on 24th October. Otherwise things are going well thank you; still loving married life and that helps me feel settled too because I can still remember how hard it was to be apart. Good luck for December! 🙂

5 hours ago, spangle 1 said:

Been a while since anyone posted here so, fingers crossed 🤞 everyone is doing ok. Quick update from me; finally lodged my 820 application this week and got my bridging visa (for anyone wondering you are issued with bridging visa A once you apply but have to apply for a bridging visa B if you need to leave Australia) for now it's back to the waiting. 😐

Great to get an update from you - and I'm glad you've got your 820 lodged! We all seem to still be waiting for some kind of movement. There was a wee flurry of hope re 309s via London but still nothing really.

So jealous of you being married and in Oz! I fly out in a fortnight and can't wait - although during that trip we're going to have to make the decision as to whether or not to postpone our wedding in January 😑 

2 hours ago, Noodlejaffa said:

Great to get an update from you - and I'm glad you've got your 820 lodged! We all seem to still be waiting for some kind of movement. There was a wee flurry of hope re 309s via London but still nothing really.

So jealous of you being married and in Oz! I fly out in a fortnight and can't wait - although during that trip we're going to have to make the decision as to whether or not to postpone our wedding in January 😑 

I hope I didn't sound smug?because I really wouldn't want to 😕...I had the same issues and more last year! apart from having to move the wedding back we then had to get a new celebrant because ours couldn't move the date! Then my health check which was literally around Christmas week last year ended up being referred and I had to pay an extra £1000 for a CT scan! Before the New year!   I found it so hard to plan Christmas last year too. So, I really do sympathise with everyone still waiting- all I can say is that it's been so worth it, to finally be together in the same country without a time limit as such even if it's still temporary. I hope you have a great trip here and that everything works out for you soon too 🙂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spangle 1 said:

I hope I didn't sound smug?because I really wouldn't want to 😕...I had the same issues and more last year! apart from having to move the wedding back we then had to get a new celebrant because ours couldn't move the date! Then my health check which was literally around Christmas week last year ended up being referred and I had to pay an extra £1000 for a CT scan! Before the New year!   I found it so hard to plan Christmas last year too. So, I really do sympathise with everyone still waiting- all I can say is that it's been so worth it, to finally be together in the same country without a time limit as such even if it's still temporary. I hope you have a great trip here and that everything works out for you soon too 🙂

Don't worry, you didn't sound smug in the slightest! I'm genuinely delighted to hear about folk getting movement on visa decisions 😊 It gives the rest of us a boost, believe me. I know it'll all be worth the waiting... We're at the stage of needing a decision as our travelling back and forwards is costing us a fortune in time and money. This will be my fourth trip over this year and my OH's trip back to Scotland over Xmas/New Year has cost an arm and a leg. The things you do for love!! 😍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Noodlejaffa said:

Don't worry, you didn't sound smug in the slightest! I'm genuinely delighted to hear about folk getting movement on visa decisions 😊 It gives the rest of us a boost, believe me. I know it'll all be worth the waiting... We're at the stage of needing a decision as our travelling back and forwards is costing us a fortune in time and money. This will be my fourth trip over this year and my OH's trip back to Scotland over Xmas/New Year has cost an arm and a leg. The things you do for love!! 😍

Phew! Thanks for that...likewise I've always enjoyed hearing others success etc on here too; you're absolutely right it does help. We spent over a year apart in the end because we couldn't afford the travel, it really helped to know we're weren't the only ones. I guess it's hard for anyone not in an ldr to understand.😍

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted on here but have been watching like a hawk for movement on PMV 300 visas.

We lodged on 21st September 2018 and over the weekend we got a request for more information (on the NOIM) and medical at the weekend!

Hopefully, it gives everyone a little bit of hope that things are moving in London...

• Like 4
  • Congratulations 1

• 1 month later...