I'm planning a holiday in Perth, first time back in 21 years.....

MARYROSE02

,,,,,,, and first flight in nine years (since I flew back from England). 

I loved Perth when I first arrived there 39 years ago this month and if I could have got a job I think I'd still be there now. 

I'm meeting a friend who is flying in from overseas and as she is staying in Applecross I'm going to try and find a place there too, furnished flat maybe. I've seen a few available.  

If I was on my own I'd probably stay closer to the CBD, Perth's version of Surry Hills (if there is one) where I live in Sydney, walking distance or one train stop from the city.

I may test my theory that I can settle anywhere once I've found a local Cafe and a local pub, going to both each day, pushing myself to talk to people, and turning myself into a?? "Sandgroper??!! I know there's a pub in Applecross - Raffles. I have already" proved (proven?)' that theory here. Local Cafe one minute walk where they all trill my name as I walk in,  and local pub - Strawberry Hills - 5 minutes walk - did the quiz there last night with people I met there or in other local pubs. I remember starting to talk to one of them when we stood next to each other watching AFL.

I'll rent a car, probably from same mob I use in Sydney -" No Birds" - Bayswater Cars. I might try public transport too. Since my own car failed the rego in April I've not bothered to replace it but everything is either walking distance,  bus outside my door, or train ten minutes walk away here. 

Last time I was in Perth I stayed at the Cottesloe Beach hotel,  the time before at a furnished apartment in Herdsman, and the first time in a hostel in Newcastle St which I think is still there. 

Should I ask Perth Bum for his tips on how to settle in?! Perhaps I won't settle in as I love Sydney now despite disliking it when I moved from Perth. 

So a long awaited return to Perth on the cards? Applecross the suburb I lived for three years before moving to the inner city. A very swanky locality. There are cafes and a few decent nosh houses in the vicinity, but too long ago for any advise on where best to wine and dine.

I only went to The Raffles a few times. There has been protests from nearby residents recently with regards noise levels. That hotel has changed out of all recognition and never returned since the refurbishment.

I found I was generally outside the area when living there. Perth or Fremantle. Applecross is sort of between the both. I doubt if you'll find much in the cheap range in that area, but you've done research so you'll be aware of the potential available.

As for similar areas to Surry Hills, (I was there in The Hills, last January, both pub and area) the area I live, Leederville would be the closet Perth has and a great area for numerous cafe's, pubs, Italian food, one stop by train to city, easy bus run, walkability measurement very high.

Beats Applecross for what I'm looking for every time. Make sure you get over here anyway. I don't mention meeting up's on this forum, as they seldom amount to anything so will leave that in your court.

There is a Back packers at Cottesloe Beach. I went past it just a few days back. Yes Newcastle street still has possibly the same site, but with numerous name changes and renovations in the proceeding period. 

I guess it must be rather exciting returning to a place, held in high regard, from your youth. You'll see a few changes.

• Like 1

396 or 496 Newcastle St was my hostel.  I Googled the address not so long ago and there was a hostel there still. Leederville was the closest pub.

If I was going there on my own I'd get a hotel in the sort of areas you mention but as I'm going to meet a friend who has already booked there it makes sense to be close to her as we will probably share a  car. And I'd like to be able to walk to her place, rather than forever driving to and from.

It's a posh suburb? I'm sort of thinking Mosman/Double Bay/ those kind of areas if u r familiar with them. Or maybe Paddington. 

I don't mind really what it is like as it's a bit of an adventure. 

I think the Cottesloe hotel became a hostel. I like the beach, but just as in Sydney I prefer to be inner city like at the hub of the wheel not at the end of one of the spokes.

I stayed reluctantly in a YHA at Central in Sydney a few years ago and I had a great time,  still friends with one of the guys I met there.

This time,around, as I said it's about being close to my friend. I've looked at accommodation and there seem to be hotels /!apartment hotels around,  can't think now,  700 - 800 a week.

My friend had booked an airbnb place which iv could do as long as it's my own unit, not a room in someone's house. I'm not interested in that. 

I found some apartments in Applecross on Stayz which seem ok. Seems to be not unlike airbnb with owners registering  properties to rent.There are not any actual hotels around the area?  One motel.

I'll do some more research. My friend may be looking for me too.

Thanks for your help. When I get over there I'll contact you.  Thinking of going for a month now so should have time. 

Raffles is a hotel now as well, 1/2 price pizza on a Weds.  Airbnb is always my 1st choice now.  You should get a nice 1 bed place for c.$100pn

I have a friend living in Applecross and it would be similar to Mosman in Sydney (but quieter).  Lovely area, on the river but dead after 7pm.

Perth's "Surry Hills" doesn't exist (I've been looking for Perth's Balmain for 3 years).  The closest you will find is Freo or Leederville or Mount Lawley.  Raffles, is fairly close to the train for shooting into the city but I would recommend a car for Perth.

Freo is close to Applecross (15min drive),  Perth CBD is a bit soulless although they are tring to improve it with Elizabeth Quay etc.  A few nice small bars around Murray street.

I like my area - Mt Hawthorn/Leederville, some nice bars/cafes/restaurants - a bit of life.  Leederville is a bit like Newtown (except about 1/3 of the size).

Weaher getting warm now - 30's this week.  bring your wallet - Perth is Sydney+20% for food & drinks.  I suspect you will gravitate towards Freo rathar than Perth.  LC worth a visit (LC next door is good - upstairs)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

396 or 496 Newcastle St was my hostel.  I Googled the address not so long ago and there was a hostel there still. Leederville was the closest pub.

If I was going there on my own I'd get a hotel in the sort of areas you mention but as I'm going to meet a friend who has already booked there it makes sense to be close to her as we will probably share a  car. And I'd like to be able to walk to her place, rather than forever driving to and from.

It's a posh suburb? I'm sort of thinking Mosman/Double Bay/ those kind of areas if u r familiar with them. Or maybe Paddington. 

I think the Cottesloe hotel became a hostel. I like the beach, but just as in Sydney I prefer to be inner city like at the hub of the wheel not at the end of one of the spokes.

I stayed reluctantly in a YHA at Central in Sydney a few years ago and I had a great time,  still friends with one of the guys I met there.

This time,around, as I said it's about being close to my friend. I've looked at accommodation and there seem to be hotels /!apartment hotels around,  can't think now,  700 - 800 a week.

My friend had booked an airbnb place which iv could do as long as it's my own unit, not a room in someone's house. I'm not interested in that. 

I found some apartments in Applecross on Stayz which seem ok. Seems to be not unlike airbnb with owners registering  properties to rent.There are not any actual hotels around the area?  One motel.

Thanks for your help. When I get over there I'll contact you.  Thinking of going for a month now so should have time. 

Yep, walk or bus pass it regularly. Used to be Red Backs from memory and some other name before that, but now another name that escapes. No back packer hostel is very good in Perth, just some more durable than others.

I lived in Riverside Drive for three years beside the river. As I said very swanky, but to my mind rather boring. I took the bus mostly in those days as fat too risky driving after drinking. These days with uber, I'd suggest use it rather than car, especially at night. Buses I found a bit of a pain.

As I said I usually sought entertainment outside of Applecross. Very limited offerings there.

The equivalent suburbs in Perth to those mentioned in Sydney would be Peppermint Grove and Dalkeith. Applecross would likely fit into the next tier. None to a great deal for me. But those are the 'blue ribbon' burbs, and more often than not snobbishness to suit the price.

Yes like collie suggested, Leederville is a lower key Newtown. It's changed loads since I moved here, but lost a bit of what passes in Perth for 'edginess', in the process.

There's The Leederville Hotel, but gone off in recent years, but next to that is The Garden okay but expensive. Across the road is an Irish pub , which we used to frequent. Don't forget Siena's in Oxford Street, the main drag has cheap nights/days Mon to Weds. A Perth favourite.

By all means give me a call. Speaking of that, am meeting a fellow tomorrow not seen for well over forty years. Discovered recently that he lives not too far away in the same city.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Collie said:

Raffles is a hotel now as well, 1/2 price pizza on a Weds.  Airbnb is always my 1st choice now.  You should get a nice 1 bed place for c.$100pn

I have a friend living in Applecross and it would be similar to Mosman in Sydney (but quieter).  Lovely area, on the river but dead after 7pm.

Perth's "Surry Hills" doesn't exist (I've been looking for Perth's Balmain for 3 years).  The closest you will find is Freo or Leederville or Mount Lawley.  Raffles, is fairly close to the train for shooting into the city but I would recommend a car for Perth.

Freo is close to Applecross (15min drive),  Perth CBD is a bit soulless although they are tring to improve it with Elizabeth Quay etc.  A few nice small bars around Murray street.

I like my area - Mt Hawthorn/Leederville, some nice bars/cafes/restaurants - a bit of life.  Leederville is a bit like Newtown (except about 1/3 of the size).

Weaher getting warm now - 30's this week.  bring your wallet - Perth is Sydney+20% for food & drinks.  I suspect you will gravitate towards Freo rathar than Perth.  LC worth a visit (LC next door is good - upstairs)

1/3 the size and the buzz phases out far earlier. I do find My Hawthorn has been recolonised by very young families. Kids everywhere. The demographics have certainly changed from 2000.

• Like 1

• Like 1

There's some good information there. Thanks Collie and Pure Vida! I just looked at my diary for 9 and 10 Nov 1978. Woke with a hangover on the 10th so I wanted to see where I went on the 9th - City hotel in Murray St, Blue Note Tavern in Colin St West Perth, and earlier in the arvo Royal Standard Hotel. On the 10th I went to the bottle shop at the Leederville hotel for Emu Lager.

Travel Mates was the hostel at 496 Newcastle St, new name but looks the same.

In some ways, when I said "Perth's Surry Hills" I was thinking about location rather than vibe. I moved to Surry Hills so I didn't have to commute on crowded buses from Narrabeen. 

Be prepared for closing down after 7pm (when everybody retreats into their homes?) I remember telling my brother after looking after his home in Edensor Park that it was like an open prison,  no need for bars or walls, you were trapped by distance and lack of public transport. 

I was thinking of treating this holiday as a chance to wind back my drinking and going out under the influence of my friend. I come off the train after work at Central and I just cannot go past the pubs and go home and even if I do I'm sometimes tempted out after midnight. 

The plan is also to drive out of Perth south I think   Margaret River,  Albany. I've not been out of Perth, not even Rottnest.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

There's some good information there. Thanks Collie and Pure Vida! I just looked at my diary for 9 and 10 Nov 1978. Woke with a hangover on the 10th so I wanted to see where I went on the 9th - City hotel in Murray St, Blue Note Tavern in Colin St West Perth, and earlier in the arvo Royal Standard Hotel. On the 10th I went to the bottle shop at the Leederville hotel for Emu Lager.

Travel Mates was the hostel at 496 Newcastle St, new name but looks the same.

In some ways, when I said "Perth's Surry Hills" I was thinking about location rather than vibe. I moved to Surry Hills so I didn't have to commute on crowded buses from Narrabeen. 

Be prepared for closing down after 7pm (when everybody retreats into their homes?) I remember telling my brother after looking after his home in Edensor Park that it was like an open prison,  no need for bars or walls, you were trapped by distance and lack of public transport. 

I was thinking of treating this holiday as a chance to wind back my drinking and going out under the influence of my friend. I come off the train after work at Central and I just cannot go past the pubs and go home and even if I do I'm sometimes tempted out after midnight. 

The plan is also to drive out of Perth south I think   Margaret River,  Albany. I've not been out of Perth, not even Rottnest.

I recall the days when ate out three/four times a week in Perth back in the nineties. Those times have not entirely ceased, but way cut back. I would certainly recommend getting out of Perth. The real features in WA are not really Perth, but down south and The Kimberly. Just returned a few weeks ago from another trip to Albany. Very pleasant. Rottnest will be another of course must. Even stay a night. I'm personally not a great Maggie River fan, the hype and expense doesn't quite cut the mustard in my book, by for a short stay visitor of course. You would call in at Bunbury and some of the places en route.

I recall the name Travel Mates, but don't recall passing it. Almost forgot. That Hostel is at the end of the Free Zone, so while you'd pay to continue the short distance to Leederville, it is free to there from the city. Great new bus station where it arrives from and goes as well.

My question to you would be, why so long between shouts? You write highly of your 'Perth Time' , and it obviously made a lasting impression, so why so long to revisit. I know we are kind of the end of the world, but not that difficult from Sydney to reach surely? 

23 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

I recall the days when ate out three/four times a week in Perth back in the nineties. Those times have not entirely ceased, but way cut back. I would certainly recommend getting out of Perth. The real features in WA are not really Perth, but down south and The Kimberly. Just returned a few weeks ago from another trip to Albany. Very pleasant. Rottnest will be another of course must. Even stay a night. I'm personally not a great Maggie River fan, the hype and expense doesn't quite cut the mustard in my book, by for a short stay visitor of course. You would call in at Bunbury and some of the places en route.

I recall the name Travel Mates, but don't recall passing it. Almost forgot. That Hostel is at the end of the Free Zone, so while you'd pay to continue the short distance to Leederville, it is free to there from the city. Great new bus station where it arrives from and goes as well.

My question to you would be, why so long between shouts? You write highly of your 'Perth Time' , and it obviously made a lasting impression, so why so long to revisit. I know we are kind of the end of the world, but not that difficult from Sydney to reach surely? 

Circumstances, really. Since I flew back to Sydney from the UK in December 2008 I've not been on a plane so this trip will be a first. I've conquered anxiety about other situations but not this one. Before coming back to Sydney I'd not been back to OZ, apart from in 2006, since 2000 so the opportunity to come to Perth wasn't there. In 1997, on my last visit, I'd actually booked a RTW ticket the previous year with the intention of flying to the UK via the USA, which I did, then returning to OZ via South Africa and Perth, which I also did but with two day stopovers in each. That was because of a change of plan from a long holiday in the UK to actually living there so I used the SA/Perth leg of my RTW ticket to come back to Sydney to rent my flat out, then flew one way back to the UK.

I did a big road trip in 2009 - two of them come to think of it - but on one I got as far as Port Pirie then turned east thru Broken Hill. I think I might have driven over the Nullarbor had my rental car agreement permitted it. I rented from Bayswater "No Birds" in Sydney and you were not allowed to go west of SA or north of Bundaberg I think.

I was planning a Xmas / New Year cruise until this new possibility came up when my friend contacted me.  I've got into cruising over the last couple of years which, leaving aside flying issues, is still a good way to travel especially for me living in Sydney. I walk ten minutes to Central, three stops on train to Circular Quay, five minutes walk to the ship and that is the limit of the travel part. Everything on the ship is in the price except for drinks so I know my budget, and I get to have a taste of all the different ports and countries, seven on my last cruise in Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia.

I can sort of picture "Maggie River" from your description and I'll keep an open mind until I've experienced it. Some places I've been to change according to how many people are there. I went to Port Stevens with my brother, hated Nelson Bay for being too crowded, but after two pleasant nights in Tea Gardens, went back to NB and the crowds had dissipated. I liked Lorne in Victoria, Batemans Bay and Merimbula on south coast of NSW, hated Coffs Harbour but loved Sawtell almost next to it. I like going to country towns too.

I see there is a single motel in Applecross and I sent an enquiry to it. I've not had my leave approved yet, at least the extra two weeks I asked for - Xmas/New Year two weeks is OK.

10 to 9pm now and I'm thinking of when the kitchens close in the pubs - around 930, though I might go for an Indian. I just need to go out! I don't drink at home. I remember going to Glenelg in Adelaide about 8pm and thinking it was like Kings Cross in Sydney, or rather "the Cross" before the hated lock out laws came into force, but by 10pm Glenelg was dead, not even the Macca open, just the pub.

I think you will find Applecross pretty bland. I live in Fremantle and there is plenty of vibe - I think you would love it - I would stay in Freo if I were you - lots of local pubs with quizzes most nights of the week. You would meet lots of people. Real holiday atmosphere also.

1 hour ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Circumstances, really. Since I flew back to Sydney from the UK in December 2008 I've not been on a plane so this trip will be a first. I've conquered anxiety about other situations but not this one. Before coming back to Sydney I'd not been back to OZ, apart from in 2006, since 2000 so the opportunity to come to Perth wasn't there. In 1997, on my last visit, I'd actually booked a RTW ticket the previous year with the intention of flying to the UK via the USA, which I did, then returning to OZ via South Africa and Perth, which I also did but with two day stopovers in each. That was because of a change of plan from a long holiday in the UK to actually living there so I used the SA/Perth leg of my RTW ticket to come back to Sydney to rent my flat out, then flew one way back to the UK.

I did a big road trip in 2009 - two of them come to think of it - but on one I got as far as Port Pirie then turned east thru Broken Hill. I think I might have driven over the Nullarbor had my rental car agreement permitted it. I rented from Bayswater "No Birds" in Sydney and you were not allowed to go west of SA or north of Bundaberg I think.

I was planning a Xmas / New Year cruise until this new possibility came up when my friend contacted me.  I've got into cruising over the last couple of years which, leaving aside flying issues, is still a good way to travel especially for me living in Sydney. I walk ten minutes to Central, three stops on train to Circular Quay, five minutes walk to the ship and that is the limit of the travel part. Everything on the ship is in the price except for drinks so I know my budget, and I get to have a taste of all the different ports and countries, seven on my last cruise in Vanuatu, Fiji and New Caledonia.

I can sort of picture "Maggie River" from your description and I'll keep an open mind until I've experienced it. Some places I've been to change according to how many people are there. I went to Port Stevens with my brother, hated Nelson Bay for being too crowded, but after two pleasant nights in Tea Gardens, went back to NB and the crowds had dissipated. I liked Lorne in Victoria, Batemans Bay and Merimbula on south coast of NSW, hated Coffs Harbour but loved Sawtell almost next to it. I like going to country towns too.

I see there is a single motel in Applecross and I sent an enquiry to it. I've not had my leave approved yet, at least the extra two weeks I asked for - Xmas/New Year two weeks is OK.

10 to 9pm now and I'm thinking of when the kitchens close in the pubs - around 930, though I might go for an Indian. I just need to go out! I don't drink at home. I remember going to Glenelg in Adelaide about 8pm and thinking it was like Kings Cross in Sydney, or rather "the Cross" before the hated lock out laws came into force, but by 10pm Glenelg was dead, not even the Macca open, just the pub.

There are some cheap fares these days so wondered. I've done Sydney twice, to date this year. I like the SA stop over as well. Air Mauritius is another airline that'll stop over in South Africa and Mauritius, but besides the speaking of French, not a lot to interest me on that island these days.

Also do a number of cruise travels over the years. Repositioning of vessels can often mean a cheap fare (relatively) Took Athena from Fremantle to Portsmouth in 2010. Was going to live in UK anyway, so the ship worked out well.Great trip with a lot of ports en route. Found a great deal from Bangkok, back in 2004 to South Africa. Again a lot of ports with Reunion being a favourite. Other trips from Venice to South Africa, Sydney to Chile. (including Easter Island) New Zealand and Tonga was another.....

Back to Applecross. Are you sure you really need to lodge in that area? As another peep said, it is somewhat  bland. Fremantle or Perth areas would be better. Especially if your friend is staying elsewhere.

Applecross will mean you will need to travel most everywhere to get anywhere.  Your call of course. But you and friend could spend more time in the bright lights, if one of you are staying there.

I suspect Perth is marginally better night life than Adelaide. Although the centre  had a bit of stuff going on when I've been there on three occasions. Nothing of too much note though.

Good luck with the leave approval. You should get it.

13 hours ago, dxboz said:

I think you will find Applecross pretty bland. I live in Fremantle and there is plenty of vibe - I think you would love it - I would stay in Freo if I were you - lots of local pubs with quizzes most nights of the week. You would meet lots of people. Real holiday atmosphere also.

You are probably right. I've been to Fremantle although I remember little about it - the ship docked there, and we got a train into Perth to stay at the YMCA in I think Hay Street for three days then we moved to Travel Mates at 496 Newcastle Street.

If I was going to Perth on my own I would be thinking of somewhere like that or perhaps walking distance to Perth itself but my friend has already booked a place in Applecross and I want to be near to her, preferably walking distance. I'll hire a car but I don't want to be driving to and from her place each day.

There's a pub in Sydney, one of my locals, the Royal Exhibition which has en suite rooms and it is in an almost perfect location - over the road from Central station where it's three stops to the airport and 1 to 3 into the city, Town Hall, Wynyard, Circular Quay, or Museum, St James, Circular Quay. Just about every bus in Sydney goes from somewhere around Central, although I think you need to go to Wynyard for buses to "Summer Bay." (Palm Beach). The present light railway goes from Central too. The only think the pub lacks is parking but with public transport so plentiful you don't really need a car there. That's the sort of place I'd be looking for in Perth. I'd rather stay in a pub than one of the big hotels.

There's not that much accommodation in Applecross either though I did contact its one motel (I think), the Canning Auto Lodge. They will rent me a one bedroom appartment for $130 a night which seems reasonable for a motel. I stayed in a few back in January, in Tea Gardens, Newcastle, Nelson Bay and Terrigal and they went from 100 a night (Tea Gardens Hotel Motel) to $175 in Terrigal.

I can only go by the photos and the reviews but it seems like any motel. I looked at the photos for Raffles pub and that looks OK. My plan was to go to a cafe each day and the pub each night and try to become a "local" which might actually be easier in a suburb with only one or two pubs. It's possible that I might even prefer Applecross to Fremantle if the latter is more of a tourist/weekend warrior from the burbs party kind of place?

As I said before I'm going to meet my friend and if she hadn't suggested it I'd probably still be looking at a cruise - 15 nights on a Holland America ship which would cost, last time i looked, minimum $4,000 for full board in an en suite cabin, seven ports, or it might be eight. That departs on 22 or 23 December I think from Circular Quay.

I've been doing more research - hire car, probably Bayswater ("No Birds") which I have often used in Sydney, just under $1, 600 from 30/11/17 to 6/1/18 and we'll split the cost of that - that is with the top cover, unlimited mileage, sat nav, second driver. I can get the flight with my frequent flyer points.

There is a Freemantle in Southampton where I come from in England.

12 hours ago, Pura Vida said:

There are some cheap fares these days so wondered. I've done Sydney twice, to date this year. I like the SA stop over as well. Air Mauritius is another airline that'll stop over in South Africa and Mauritius, but besides the speaking of French, not a lot to interest me on that island these days.

Also do a number of cruise travels over the years. Repositioning of vessels can often mean a cheap fare (relatively) Took Athena from Fremantle to Portsmouth in 2010. Was going to live in UK anyway, so the ship worked out well.Great trip with a lot of ports en route. Found a great deal from Bangkok, back in 2004 to South Africa. Again a lot of ports with Reunion being a favourite. Other trips from Venice to South Africa, Sydney to Chile. (including Easter Island) New Zealand and Tonga was another.....

Back to Applecross. Are you sure you really need to lodge in that area? As another peep said, it is somewhat  bland. Fremantle or Perth areas would be better. Especially if your friend is staying elsewhere.

Applecross will mean you will need to travel most everywhere to get anywhere.  Your call of course. But you and friend could spend more time in the bright lights, if one of you are staying there.

I suspect Perth is marginally better night life than Adelaide. Although the centre  had a bit of stuff going on when I've been there on three occasions. Nothing of too much note though.

Good luck with the leave approval. You should get it.

As I was saying to Dxboz my friend has already made a booking there and I'm going to see her so I don't mind. I think she has family connections and part of the reason for the trip is to check Perth out for a permanent move. I don't actually mind if it's quiet there as that will be a change from Surry Hills. I remember going to stay for a weekend with a friend in St Ives in Sydney and I enjoyed the difference there, home with a bush setting, sounds of the wildlife rather than traffic. Remember I mentioned staying at Herdsman for a week with my parents and one of my brothers. I don't remember much about that now but that would have been quiet.

You like cruising then!? I nearly did a voyage from OZ to UK - Sydney to Southampton on Canberra in 1983 but i disembarked in San Francisco to meet my parents and flew home after a week with them. Repositioning? Are there really bargain fares? On that voyage I shared a cabin with three other guys. It was an iconic ship Canberra, used I think for the migrant run to OZ and was in the Falklands in 1982. Naturally it was scrapped, like Queen Elizabeth. I always thought that Southampton could have made an effort to keep and restore one of those icons the way that Queen Mary went to Long Beach.

In some ways a cruise is like a coach tour but you are not rushed off your feet, bags outside the door at 830 am. I don't like being rushed! Or herded around. On the cruises I never take guided tours, preferring to do my own thing, walk around each port, maybe get a bus, as I did, accidentally as it happens, from Nadi to Lautoka. I thought I was going back to Port Denarau and had to rush by cab to make the last tender.  

I just felt a tap on my shoulder and jumped - it was my cat putting out a paw on her way to my lap. I have a fancy to go back to Noumea and stay in a hotel, not in a resort but in Noumea itself, the Latin Quarter I think is the name of the 'burb, or in the Grand Pacific hotel in Suva, which a guy at work told me about. It's got that colonial air, perhaps like Raffles in Singapore. I had a couple of beers there and watched the sun go down.

As a casual there's not too much to worry about but at the same time I like my job and I would not like to jeopardise it. Since going back to work last year, reluctantly too, I now love it and don't want to retire. I took most of this week off, Tuesday for the Melbourne Cup, Wednesday to recover, Thursday to do my tax and hopefully, Friday I'll tie everything up and book this trip.

48 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

As I was saying to Dxboz my friend has already made a booking there and I'm going to see her so I don't mind. I think she has family connections and part of the reason for the trip is to check Perth out for a permanent move. I don't actually mind if it's quiet there as that will be a change from Surry Hills. I remember going to stay for a weekend with a friend in St Ives in Sydney and I enjoyed the difference there, home with a bush setting, sounds of the wildlife rather than traffic. Remember I mentioned staying at Herdsman for a week with my parents and one of my brothers. I don't remember much about that now but that would have been quiet.

You like cruising then!? I nearly did a voyage from OZ to UK - Sydney to Southampton on Canberra in 1983 but i disembarked in San Francisco to meet my parents and flew home after a week with them. Repositioning? Are there really bargain fares? On that voyage I shared a cabin with three other guys. It was an iconic ship Canberra, used I think for the migrant run to OZ and was in the Falklands in 1982. Naturally it was scrapped, like Queen Elizabeth. I always thought that Southampton could have made an effort to keep and restore one of those icons the way that Queen Mary went to Long Beach.

In some ways a cruise is like a coach tour but you are not rushed off your feet, bags outside the door at 830 am. I don't like being rushed! Or herded around. On the cruises I never take guided tours, preferring to do my own thing, walk around each port, maybe get a bus, as I did, accidentally as it happens, from Nadi to Lautoka. I thought I was going back to Port Denarau and had to rush by cab to make the last tender.  

I just felt a tap on my shoulder and jumped - it was my cat putting out a paw on her way to my lap. I have a fancy to go back to Noumea and stay in a hotel, not in a resort but in Noumea itself, the Latin Quarter I think is the name of the 'burb, or in the Grand Pacific hotel in Suva, which a guy at work told me about. It's got that colonial air, perhaps like Raffles in Singapore. I had a couple of beers there and watched the sun go down.

As a casual there's not too much to worry about but at the same time I like my job and I would not like to jeopardise it. Since going back to work last year, reluctantly too, I now love it and don't want to retire. I took most of this week off, Tuesday for the Melbourne Cup, Wednesday to recover, Thursday to do my tax and hopefully, Friday I'll tie everything up and book this trip.

Well repositioning trips it was possible to find 'good' deals, but increasingly less, as more older Australians seem to have replaced the 'grey nomad' around Australia thing, with cruising. No joke, some appear constantly to be doing cruise after cruise. Not something I'd like to do and many appear oblivious to an extent to the port they are visiting. Some use it as a form of aged care as well.

Then there's the dinner table arrangements. It can be very 'trying', sitting at the same table with some without taking on certain opinions head on, which in turn can result in 'friction'. But hard for me to let pass some of the racist and 'old school' comments that pass as acceptable dining table banter .

But the food is generally great. We almost always do our own thing, not doing the ship's over priced tours, apart from the odd country, where a dangerous, likely shore situation would not warrant the risk. Or somewhere very far, where getting back to the ship in time before departure could be challenging.

We tend to use it as a means to get to a particular place then do it alone with a hire car. South Africa being a classic example and great country to travel in. Same in Chile. It would be a shame to only rely on the ship as a means of covering the local terrain.

Next long trip will be back to Namibia, with a combination of driving to Botswana and Zambia. We are both quite Africa fans. We covered South America this year, by ship (three) and overland in Chile and another ship to The Falklands, Uruguay to Argentina. Then flights across various cities in Brazil to Colombia , then another ship to Caribbean, Panama Canal (first time) Costa Rico, Ecuador and Peru. Stayed on in Peru and really enjoyed it.

I would only do another ship if ports are of interest. Most appear to go to ports already been. Iceland (I know very over done these days) and Greenland along with the Norwegian fjords is one area of interest. There is a possible Princess Line cruise coming up in 19, so claimed, around Africa, which could be of interest....

Never been to any of the places you mention. Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, never even been to California.

Back to your Perth stay. Uber is pretty cheap so I suppose it doesn't much matter . Applecross is hardly an outer burb, but I found myself heading more for Freo than Perth when lived there. Who knows. If your friend does decide and is able to move to Perth, you'll follow her over. Stranger things have happened. Me living in Perth for example doesn't get too much stranger.

26 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Well repositioning trips it was possible to find 'good' deals, but increasingly less, as more older Australians seem to have replaced the 'grey nomad' around Australia thing, with cruising. No joke, some appear constantly to be doing cruise after cruise. Not something I'd like to do and many appear oblivious to an extent to the port they are visiting. Some use it as a form of aged care as well.

Then there's the dinner table arrangements. It can be very 'trying', sitting at the same table with some without taking on certain opinions head on, which in turn can result in 'friction'. But hard for me to let pass some of the racist and 'old school' comments that pass as acceptable dining table banter .

But the food is generally great. We almost always do our own thing, not doing the ship's over priced tours, apart from the odd country, where a dangerous, likely shore situation would not warrant the risk. Or somewhere very far, where getting back to the ship in time before departure could be challenging.

We tend to use it as a means to get to a particular place then do it alone with a hire car. South Africa being a classic example and great country to travel in. Same in Chile. It would be a shame to only rely on the ship as a means of covering the local terrain.

Next long trip will be back to Namibia, with a combination of driving to Botswana and Zambia. We are both quite Africa fans. We covered South America this year, by ship (three) and overland in Chile and another ship to The Falklands, Uruguay to Argentina. Then flights across various cities in Brazil to Colombia , then another ship to Caribbean, Panama Canal (first time) Costa Rico, Ecuador and Peru. Stayed on in Peru and really enjoyed it.

I would only do another ship if ports are of interest. Most appear to go to ports already been. Iceland (I know very over done these days) and Greenland along with the Norwegian fjords is one area of interest. There is a possible Princess Line cruise coming up in 19, so claimed, around Africa, which could be of interest....

Never been to any of the places you mention. Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, never even been to California.

Back to your Perth stay. Uber is pretty cheap so I suppose it doesn't much matter . Applecross is hardly an outer burb, but I found myself heading more for Freo than Perth when lived there. Who knows. If your friend does decide and is able to move to Perth, you'll follow her over. Stranger things have happened. Me living in Perth for example doesn't get too much stranger.

We have not yet had poor company on a cruise dining table, and we always request to sit at a table of 8-10, however I do suppose we could yet meet up on a cruise I would then most likely concur;)

8 minutes ago, Keith and Linda said:

We have not yet had poor company on a cruise dining table, and we always request to sit at a table of 8-10, however I do suppose we could yet meet up on a cruise I would then most likely concur;)

I've only done two cruises,  one on Carnival Spirit where I shared my table with the same people, all of whom I liked,  and the second one on P & O, Pacific Jewel where I opted for "Happy to share" and took pot luck, which was also good because I met lots of people. Sometimes I was on my own. Occasionally I ate in the buffet. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Pura Vida said:

Sorry MR no intention to high jack your thread and hope you reall enjoy your trip to Perth.

Perhaps we should have a travel thread on PIO, not to boast but to share experiences and information?

PV not sure if you have been to Zambia before? I lived and worked there in the 1960's and was there a few years ago.

My favourite place anywhere is Mfuwi Lodge in South Luanga, it's where the elephants walk through reception, and I really recommend a day trip to Chobi from Livingstone. My husband jumped into the Devil's pool on the top of the falls, I checked his live insurance policy!! Mainly a nostalgia trip for us and catching up with family. Africa has a special place in my heart forever. Enjoy wherever you go.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramot said:

Sorry MR no intention to high jack your thread and hope you reall enjoy your trip to Perth.

Perhaps we should have a travel thread on PIO, not to boast but to share experiences and information?

PV not sure if you have been to Zambia before? I lived and worked there in the 1960's and was there a few years ago.

My favourite place anywhere is Mfuwe Lodge in South Luangwa it's where the elephants walk through reception, and I really recommend a day trip to Chobi from Livingstone. My husband jumped into the Devil's pool on the top of the falls, I checked his live insurance policy!! Mainly a nostalgia trip for us and catching up with family. Africa has a special place in my heart forever. Enjoy wherever you go.

Just now, ramot said:

You are not ""Hi-jacking" my post! I LIKE it when people change topic, insist on it even! I hate it when someone raps me on the fingers and says "Stay on topic or start another thread." 

I'm usually writing in "stream of consciousness"  mode anyway,  holiday in Perth,  fear of flying, cruising as an alternative to flying on holiday,  whether I might ask the doc for Valium, getting the Indian Pacific one way, driving one way,  what makes the perfect suburb, comparing Perth to Sydney, opinions on Applecross. I looked up a real estate site. Partly thinking of asking an agent if they did holiday lets and partly to look at prices - $450 000 I saw for some units.

When you are at a party talking with people lots of different things come up, mention of one thing makes you think of something else. Thinking of being near to my friend made me also think of "Close to You" by the Carpenters.  "Just like me, they long to be...." Seeing a photo of Sydney from the air made me think of "Back in the USSR" and I riisked a comment!  (Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC,  Man I had a dreadful flight....) 

I'm in a site for my local village in England and once I took a photo of Parramatta town hall and posted it with a comment "This reminds me of the Bargate in Southampton".  Administration removed it because it "has nothing to do with the topic".

So. Feel free to post whatever comes into your head. I'm sure I mentioned South Africa talking about stopover in Johannesburg and Perth - did a day trip to Soweto in a battered old minibus, maybe as dangerous as going on safari? Driving from airport to Sandton hotel I thought houses looked like Sydney except for the razor wire.

• Like 3

We really need to do Africa, It is where Linda & I met in 1975 and left in 1997 due to company going bust and no other suitable work at the time. Based in Botswana and then Natal in South Africa, need to go for nostalgic reason but also need to see the many places we should have gone to when there, the Okovango for starters................one day:x

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I've only done two cruises,  one on Carnival Spirit where I shared my table with the same people, all of whom I liked,  and the second one on P & O, Pacific Jewel where I opted for "Happy to share" and took pot luck, which was also good because I met lots of people. Sometimes I was on my own. Occasionally I ate in the buffet. 

We enjoy the buffet. Less formal and freedom of seating and no set times. I personally wouldn't on reflection like to do a cruise alone. Travelling on shore not a problem though. In fact rather enjoy it. Travelling with another can make you self contained in the sense of harder for others to penetrate. Never vulnerable as a couple or group as when travelling alone, where things usually happen. Hopefully for the good.  

5 hours ago, ramot said:

My favourite place anywhere is Mfuwi Lodge in South Luanga, it's where the elephants walk through reception, and I really recommend a day trip to Chobi from Livingstone. My husband jumped into the Devil's pool on the top of the falls, I checked his live insurance policy!! Mainly a nostalgia trip for us and catching up with family. Africa has a special place in my heart forever. Enjoy wherever you go.

Quite agree. My overall favourite 'destination' with still a lot of gaps to fill in. Although I called into many ports when working the West African coast, many decades back I only really saw the cities of the West Coast, with not a lot of insight really into any of those countries and have never been on The East Coast. I later years travelled in Senegal and Togo , but still want especially to do Benin.  Really enjoy Namibia though and know South Africa rather well. Lived there in the seventies , shipped around there, cruised there twice and have driven over a good portion of it. Never been to Zambia nor Botswana , something I really need to rectify. I've done Morocco and Egypt as a traveller and again on a cruise. Ghana another country wanting to go and especially the island of Madagascar. Perhaps the latter never happens.

5 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

You are not ""Hi-jacking" my post! I LIKE it when people change topic, insist on it even! I hate it when someone raps me on the fingers and says "Stay on topic or start another thread." 

I'm usually writing in "stream of consciousness"  mode anyway,  holiday in Perth,  fear of flying, cruising as an alternative to flying on holiday,  whether I might ask the doc for Valium, getting the Indian Pacific one way, driving one way,  what makes the perfect suburb, comparing Perth to Sydney, opinions on Applecross. I looked up a real estate site. Partly thinking of asking an agent if they did holiday lets and partly to look at prices - $450 000 I saw for some units.

When you are at a party talking with people lots of different things come up, mention of one thing makes you think of something else. Thinking of being near to my friend made me also think of "Close to You" by the Carpenters.  "Just like me, they long to be...." Seeing a photo of Sydney from the air made me think of "Back in the USSR" and I riisked a comment!  (Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC,  Man I had a dreadful flight....) 

I'm in a site for my local village in England and once I took a photo of Parramatta town hall and posted it with a comment "This reminds me of the Bargate in Southampton".  Administration removed it because it "has nothing to do with the topic".

So. Feel free to post whatever comes into your head. I'm sure I mentioned South Africa talking about stopover in Johannesburg and Perth - did a day trip to Soweto in a battered old minibus, maybe as dangerous as going on safari? Driving from airport to Sandton hotel I thought houses looked like Sydney except for the razor wire.

You did mention South Africa, otherwise I'd never had raised that particular country. I guess you have never been to what they call,' The Mother City', Cape Town, one of my all time favourite places, one I appear to regularly return to in more recent times, after a twenty year absence.

I hate flying as well. Don't even understand why. Never was a problem in my younger days, but I feel the flying experience has deteriorated over time , with less space and I feel less recycled air or something akin to that. I can never sleep and must have an aisle  seat  and not get the feeling of being 'trapped' due to poor excess if others are sleeping etc. All a little odd.

• Like 1