You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Chasing a dream

Port Stephens?

Brilliant news, looks like hubby may have secured a job on the Port Stephens side of New Castle......just waiting on the paperwork, salary finalisation etc!!

I love the look of Port Stephens......looks like a dream place to live, however I know that things are not always as good as they look in the pictures. Any advice about Port Stephens and/or best places to live between New Castle and Port Stephens? (With 2 "almost teengers"). Oh and we are def not city/nightlife type people.

Any advice gratefully received!

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Lovely place and a lovely climate.  I only know it as a holiday destination though.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Port Stephens is as starlight says a lovely place.  I often stayed with friends who live in Nelson Bay (just along the bay) and really like the whole area.

map.png

port-stephens.jpg

• Like 3
    • Thanks 1

We live in soldiers Point. Heaps of nice beaches here pretty quiet except in summer apparently heaps of people visit.

We see dolphins and a koala in tree across the road from our apartment.

Really nice place to live though been in this area 4 months now.

I would recommend living in soldiers Point rather than Nelson Bay as tourists head to Nelson Bay.

Good luck with the move .

Port Stephens is really nice and has year round holiday trade due to proximity to Newy and Sydney, so doesn’t suffer from too much seasonality

Traffic over the bridge at Hexham is crap - backed up to Heatherbrae going south and from the end of the M1 going north regularly. But the road through Tomago is OK

Raymond Terrace is a bit ordinary, anywhere else pretty good I think

beautiful part of the world!

Thanks northshorepom, sounds fantastic!

Just wondering, realistically how often do you find you need to go into New Castle for shopping etc? Is it about an hours drive from Soldiers point? 

I spent two nights in Tea Gardens - at the hotel/Motel and rather liked it. The drive back to the Freeway and around the Bay to Nelson Bay or Newcastle could be tedious if doing it every day. Nelson  Bay is more lively but also can be more crowded.

On 14/11/2017 at 12:05, starlight7 said:

Will you guys just shut up?  I am soo jealous it hurts :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol.....we are not there yet!! 3 interviews down and another one on Friday.....hopefully that will be the final one, can't wait to start packing and booking the flight! Everything crossed...

If it's a temporary visa then just a heads up I'm sure you know to include the cost of school fees for the kids in the salary package - $11k pa for the two give or take. 

Port Stephens is where one of my mates went to retire to and she quite liked it but they eventually moved down to Tasmania for some reason I never quite fathomed

14 minutes ago, Quoll said:

If it's a temporary visa then just a heads up I'm sure you know to include the cost of school fees for the kids in the salary package - $11k pa for the two give or take. 

Port Stephens is where one of my mates went to retire to and she quite liked it but they eventually moved down to Tasmania for some reason I never quite fathomed

Thanks for the info....luckily we have a PR visa!

6 hours ago, Chasing a dream said:

Thanks for the info....luckily we have a PR visa!

You’re good to go then!