Fake marriage - defacto partner visa

Squarepants

I know it happens all the time but do the immigration department not care?

A Case I’ve heard about recently. A couple chat online whilst playing a shoot em up type of game. In November 2016 she decides to come over for a holiday, whilst here she makes this person put in a defacto application and then in Feb they get married.

How on earth did they get this far. They have only met in person 3 months prior to their wedding. Someone close to the family reported it and nothing has been done. Is there anywhere else they can take this? @Richard Gregan

Obviously they care to up hold the law but not always easy to prove. I have known one though that was deported for a fake marriage but his Mrs put him in. More usually both partners are fully aware of what they are under taking, and often money exchanges hands. Hardly confined to Australia. I have known a few cases in UK as well as USA.

9 hours ago, Squarepants said:

A Case I’ve heard about recently. A couple chat online whilst playing a shoot em up type of game. In November 2016 she decides to come over for a holiday, whilst here she makes this person put in a defacto application and then in Feb they get married.

How on earth did they get this far. They have only met in person 3 months prior to their wedding. Someone close to the family reported it and nothing has been done. Is there anywhere else they can take this? @Richard Gregan

Fraudulent Partner applications is one of the reasons they now cost $7,000 and can take 2 years to process.

Immigration has greatly increased the scrutiny on Partner applications and refusals have become common.

Guest The Pom Queen
5 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Fraudulent Partner applications is one of the reasons they now cost $7,000 and can take 2 years to process.

Immigration has greatly increased the scrutiny on Partner applications and refusals have become common.

Thank you @Raul Senise is there anyone else this person can report to apart from the online form.

15 hours ago, Squarepants said:

Trust me, if it was reported to DIBP they WILL follow it up, though sometimes not immediately, it can be a few weeks or even months later.

In this case the applicant will still be on the first stage provisional visa. It will probably not be followed up until PR becomes due.

Just be careful when reporting what you believe to be a scam. The only two people who now what is occurring within a relationship are the couple themselves. DIBP usually take the view that if its reported as a scam, it IS a scam, and lives can be wrecked if this is the wrong conclusion.  

Edited by Nemesis