AHPRA Headache!!!

LAW

Hi all,

We have recently lodged our 189 skilled visa and I have been trying to work out when to start the AHPRA process. Colleagues in Australia have advised to begin this process sooner rather than later as it often takes a long time. I have also been encouraged by prospective employers to do so. 

The issue is that once I (hopefully) gain a positive outcome for provisional registration, I am then in the position (as far as I understand) to register at an AHPRA office within 3 months of the outcome. Frustratingly, you used to get a year. Given our visa is likely to take between 7-8 months itself and then we will have things to tie up here before we go, I had been holding off thinking this is better done later down the line. 

Has anyone any experience of this? I am now wondering if it would be worth the extra expense and time etc. to apply and then fly out for a recce and to register? Really had not banked on this extra expense however and what a pain it all is!! 

it depends on when you are actually planning to make the move. Once you are granted a visa you have 12 months from the date of medicals / police checks to make first entry. Many people just do this as a holiday known as a validation trip and use it to research or in your case present in person. You then have 5 years to make the move

• Like 1

If you don't want the expense, then hold off for a while and apply when you think you may be granted the visa or when the visa is actually in your hand.  Timescales, sadly, aren't usually that reliable, I know some people have been waiting a long time for even the invitation for the EOI.

The down side - is that you need AHPRA to apply for jobs, but the catch 22 is, that if you haven't got your visa then some employers may not want to wait until you arrive and fill the vacancy anyway.

• Like 1

Yes, the 12 week requirement is a pain. As others have said, you can hold off just now and try to time it for approximately when your visa is granted or likely to be granted, but there are no guarantees with this.

Or you can apply sooner if you are prepared for the possibility of a flight to Australia to activate it. This could be incorporated into a holiday and fact finding mission.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

How did you go with your recce LeeH?

We are waiting on our CO reviewing our visa this Friday (18th May). Have held off with the AHPRA application, as even if I submitted the end of May they are saying 8-10 weeks for processing time. Thats would mean (with the 3 month registration window) visiting Australia to validate with AHPRA between Aug-Oct. We were hoping to time a possible visa validation trip within the AHPRA timescales so looking at submitting in 3 months-ish to allow us to go on holiday over christmas/new year. 

Meanwhile there are loads of good jobs passing me by.....

Tis very exciting though!!!

They only extend if you have a reason they think is valid. I had my three months extended to a year because I was heavily pregnant when I got my approval. I sent a letter from my GP confirming this and had mine extended to one year. I flew when the baby was 7 months. 

Edited by CeeJayKav

5 hours ago, LAW said:

Thanks for the info CeeJayKav. I have heard they are pretty strict on extensions so felt it better to apply later. How long did the process take for you? 

It took 4 months, however when it was almost 4 months i sent an email to enquire about progress and i got an email back stating i should i should agree for them to process over the recommended time scale. However the date i was supposed to confirm this had already passed so was very frustrated at that point. I did email back pointing this out then a few days later i got my approval.