Is AFL in other states as fanatical as Victoria?

Mike@Bonbeach

On 11/3/2017 at 15:34, Mike and Connie said:

Have exhibition matches by all means but having a home and away match in a different country?, I would have better things to spend my hard earned on.

AFL is a big business and they have delusions of grandeur IMHO - hence the push to go international into NZ and China.  Personally I think that's barmy....they've had a difficult enough job pushing the game in Queensland and NSW.     The recent semi final in Sydney with GWS had the lowest finals attendance numbers since WW1...  just under 15,000.    In a city with 5 million people that is just embarrassing

16 hours ago, Toots said:

A few Richmond Tigers banners were flying when the finals were happening too.

Yes, Richmond has traditionally had a very strong following in Tassie.   I don't know the reason:  maybe numerous Tasmanian players in years past?

55 minutes ago, Peach said:

The barmy army never seem to complain about travel.

That's true...but in cricket the barmy army travel for a series (or part of) and make it an extended holiday.   Can't quite see travelling to China for one game and back again being quite so worth it.     But then I'm no sports fan....so can't comprehend travelling anywhere for any sport.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Skani said:

That's true...but in cricket the barmy army travel for a series (or part of) and make it an extended holiday.   Can't quite see travelling to China for one game and back again being quite so worth it.     But then I'm no sports fan....so can't comprehend travelling anywhere for any sport.  :rolleyes:

Maybe people who don't follow sport at all shouldn't argue about it with those who do ?

The game in China was the work of Port Adelaide Chairman David Koch. It was not instigated bt the AFL.

Clubs are businesses too and need to make money so if a club has a Chinese sponsor and can make several million dollars as a promotional exercize by playing a game in China it can make a big difference to their bottom line at the end of the year.

Edited by Parley

On 01/11/2017 at 13:16, Parley said:

There are 18 teams in the comp not 16.

You would need 34 weeks of home and away plus finals to have everyone play each other twice.

It is not possible.

I automatically assumed they did play each other twice? The Swans and GWS always have two games, one at the SCG and one at the GWS stadium out at Olympic Park.

I always wanted to know what the thin black bands some of the players wear round their biceps are for?  Not "black armbands" either. And why,  too, does the occasional player wear a long sleeve shirt?

I know the AFL and NRL have plenty of pre season training but it always seems a short season compared to Britain with the football starting in Aug and going till May. The leagues below the EPL play I think 46 games. Mansfield were on TV last night away to a non league team - Shaw perhaps in the FA Cup.