Bridging Visa.. Need Help

JD3006

Hi 

Im currently waiting to hear back on a current Visa application for a 489 State Visa for Tasmania.

Im running out of time on my current visa ( working holiday ) which has a month left. ( I do not have second year and can not get one ) 

I have gone through to the Bridging Visa application on the DIBP website and it asks for application > visa type.. now is this asking what I have currently applied for or will it start a new application as I'm worried about messing up the current 489 one. 

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

Hi Maggie 

Thanks for the swift reply. 

I didn' notice any bridging visa form when I applied and got my email from Tasmania saying "thanks for applying we will contact you via email if accepted etc etc. 

I have my EOI in and an application to Tasmania 489 that I'm yet to hear back on. I'm still within the 2-8 weeks period (currently week 6) waiting for a decision. 

Do you mean I'm automaticaly granted one when I applied or when they accept and i have been issued a CO. 

Thanks 

If you can lodge the 489 application before your current visa expires then you will automatically get a bridging visa to allow you to stay until a decision is made.  You don’t apply for the bridging visa separately. 

However if you have still not got an invite then you may be cutting it fine.  Do not allow yourself to overstay your visa.   

Sounds like you are not ready to lodge an actual visa application yet.

Hi rammygirl 

I have indeed lodged an application for Tasmania 489 and received confirmation from them of the application. I have not yet been accepted and provided a case officer. 

Are you saying I automaticall get a bridging visa from the time I sent in my application or I get it after I have been accepted and provided a case officer. 

Thanks  

Thanks

I'm week 6 into their 2 to 8 week decision period that they stated on the application response email. I'e seen other folk receive a decision around the 7 week time zone so hopeully it will come through any day. 

Thanks for clearing it up for me. 

And to clarify I can't apply for a bridging visa seperatly? 

As I've seen this on the Gov website and is a little confusing when I had a look at the options. 

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Appl/bridging-visas

Thanks 

You will be granted a bridging visa once you actually apply for the visa. It will be granted automatically. Then start as soon as your current visa expires.

However, if you haven't yet lodged an EOI, I would say your chances are slim to zero. Even if you lodged an EOI today, you would have to be very lucky to get an invite within a month

I lodged my EOI 2 months ago and had applied for the Tasmanian 489 6 weeks ago. 

Run down of how it went

- Lodged our EOI for Tasmania 489 2 months ago

- Company I was working for in Victoria offered me a job and willing to sponsor me. 

- Put my application to Tasmania on hold as advised it would be diffcult to swap application mid way through. If work sponsorship in vic worked out.

- Company failed the check list for sponsorship

- Applied to Tasmania 489 6 weeks ago and advised it will take 2 to 8 weeks.

- Have till end of November till my current visa (working holiday) expires. 

- Checking my options to apply for a bridging visa in case the invitation  from Tasmania takes more than the 8 weeks they mention. 

And here I am today. 

Hope that helps. 

Edited by JD3006

You should consider obtaining some professional advice as you are potentially heading for trouble. I am not sure who advised you, but the statement "Put my application to Tasmania on hold as advised it would be diffcult to swap application mid way through" makes little sense,

Keep in mind that neither the lodgement of the EOI or application for Tasmanian Sponsorship are visa applications. 

Before you can actually lodge a Subclass 489 visa (and thus obtain a bridging visa), you will first need Tasmania to approve your sponsorship, receive an Invite to apply for a visa and lodge the visa application. All that must happen before your current visa expires, so your timeline is very thin.

Yes I'm aware of the tight timescale.. believe me. I was just checking if there was some way to extend the visa a few months to save me either having to sell all my posesions here to move back home to possibly get an invite a week later and having to move back. 

Maybe a possibility would be to fly out of the country and just re enter on a holiday visa and stay with family in tasmania whilst its waiting for a decision?

Would that option effect anything. 

Visa agents arnt interested in helping as I already have a application in and don't want to give advise for somehing they can' charge for. 

You could put all your stuff into a storage facility and go home until your visa is granted. If you start to faff about with tourist visas they get suspicious that you are just trying to stay in the country rather than being a bone fide tourist. If for some reason you don’t get a visa then you can pop back as a tourist and deal with your stuff.