Shipping and removals

leeb

Hello. 

Wondering if anyone can help. I'm moving to brisbane in jan and dont know if its best to take all or some stuff with me. Spoke to a few shippping companies but all containers seem so big for what i have, can anyone recommend a company that have smaller containers for a good price or recommendation for essential things to take.

Thanks 

As above. You can do a part of a container, called groupage and just pay for the space you take up. The shipping companies should be able to tell you how it works.

Or use a Movecube. Keep in mind this is a self pack and self loading option so you would be doing it all yourself. 

Yes looked into both. Shared container seems to big and expensive for what i have but movecube i dont think i could fit sofa ect in. So just looking at advice in what i need and things i could get over there. Whats the situation with electric stuff like wasking machines, fridges ect? Just not sure if i should pay alot for everything or just a few personal stuff and buying the rest.

Those are your options. There are 3 sizes in the Movecube and it’s surprising what fits in. We used a large one.

Groupage is what it is. You pay that bit more but only take the space needed. So it can’t be too big for what you ship. You share a container with other people’s goods. 

Tbh it’s your call. Some ship everything, others not. You can buy cheap crappy furniture here same as there. Or buy decent quality stuff instead. IKEA exists if you are near a big city. And other options.

Have you measured your items out for a Movecube? We used one and got a KS bed in it and some smaller bits plus about 30 boxes.

Tbh if you are not overly attached to your sofa and those other few things, easiest thing would be to sell them before you leave and buy something when you are over here. Plenty of options to replace this end. We invested in a good quality sofa and chairs a year or so after arriving. Bought an IKEA one in the meantime for about $500 that we now use in the family room for kids. 

That depends on you really. Are they good quality fairly new? If so mint be worth shipping. If old or you don’t really want to ship them, maybe better not to.

We only shipped computer, kettle, few lamps and hairdryer of our electricals. We sold the rest off as we planned to buy new this end as we needed/wanted it.

Price it up and compare. Lots of Aus sites you can search to see how much it will cost you to replace white goods and other things.

If you do ship them bring UK power boards  and be prepared to get plugs changed eventually. 

As snifter said, it comes down to the age and quality of the items. 

No issues with white goods working, the two countries use the same voltage.

For TV's radios, consoles etc, have a look at:

Have a look at 

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/

to see what the cost of replacing your electrical goods would be.