Toots

Lots of heavy rain and flash flooding across SEQ this last 48hrs. Gold Coast got hammered and had to close the motorway it was that flooded. See if these pics work and also a link to a video - https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/gold-coast-emergency-dangerous-flooding-and-a-call-to-stay-indoors/news-story/f86380361f1794a2399840d8c1da0ed9

Torrential rain has forced major roads to be closed. Related image

• Sad 2

We started water restrictions yesterday.  Stage 1 which means only watering the garden between 6 am and 8 am then between 8 pm and 10 pm.  We've always done that anyway.  Badly need rain.  

Husband is painting the outside of the house so maybe wait until he's finished doing that.

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 18:34, calNgary said:

Lots of heavy rain and flash flooding across SEQ this last 48hrs. Gold Coast got hammered and had to close the motorway it was that flooded. See if these pics work and also a link to a video - https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/gold-coast/gold-coast-emergency-dangerous-flooding-and-a-call-to-stay-indoors/news-story/f86380361f1794a2399840d8c1da0ed9

Torrential rain has forced major roads to be closed. Related image

That area of the M1 around Coomera is very low and actually crosses the Coomera River, which floods every time there is heavy rain as the river is fed from all the smaller rivers and tributaries coming down from the Hinterland Mountains. 

56 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I saw some footage of hail in Canberra, it was huge. 

30,000 damaged vehicles.  Insurance companies can’t get them collected for weeks if not months, as all the holding yards are full.  Owners are really on their own and flooding public transport which can’t handle the load.  The local market is closed indefinitely and it isn’t small.  Economic disaster 

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen
12 minutes ago, Bulya said:

30,000 damaged vehicles.  Insurance companies can’t get them collected for weeks if not months, as all the holding yards are full.  Owners are really on their own and flooding public transport which can’t handle the load.  The local market is closed indefinitely and it isn’t small.  Economic disaster 

I really feel for everyone. It’s like you said those who are insured aren’t going to see any payout for months with the fires/floods and hail 😢

10 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

I really feel for everyone. It’s like you said those who are insured aren’t going to see any payout for months with the fires/floods and hail 😢

The hail damage will take months and months to clear. I saw that they reckon panel beaters will be taking it in for the next year or more! I suspect  a lot will  just be written  off.

We found that insurance companies are quick to pay out for fire destruction - not through any altruistic motivation but as soon as they paid the owner for the building damage they were no longer liable for third party insurance on the block and fire damaged blocks can be a liability nightmare as they're not the safest of places to be. Mind you with so many claims just this month, the insurance companies are going to be a bit stretched to cover everything.

On 25/01/2020 at 21:47, Bulya said:

Won’t get assessed for months, let alone payout 

A woman at work who got done the last time in a much smaller storm, said in the end they were transporting cars to Sydney and it was still taking 6 months.   It actually boosted the economy because these guys were flooded out with high value work being paid on the insurance, so the tax was pouring in and the premiums pushed up bringing more money into the system. 

The fires will do the same for the south coast construction industry, but the environmental impact will take a long time to re-create the habitats.

I was with a builder watching the hail smashing these cars to pieces on London Circuit and he pointed to his own old Izuzu ute getting bashed, totally unconcerned.  He said that's why he has an old heavy one with no sunroof and tough windows, so he doesn't give a f when anything happens and he'll scrap it when the engine packs up in about 20 years.  

49 minutes ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

A woman at work who got done the last time in a much smaller storm, said in the end they were transporting cars to Sydney and it was still taking 6 months.   It actually boosted the economy because these guys were flooded out with high value work being paid on the insurance, so the tax was pouring in and the premiums pushed up bringing more money into the system. 

The fires will do the same for the south coast construction industry, but the environmental impact will take a long time to re-create the habitats.

I was with a builder watching the hail smashing these cars to pieces on London Circuit and he pointed to his own old Izuzu ute getting bashed, totally unconcerned.  He said that's why he has an old heavy one with no sunroof and tough windows, so he doesn't give a f when anything happens and he'll scrap it when the engine packs up in about 20 years.  

Our old Falcon tow car glass survived.  The bodywork didn’t, but as it’s uninsured it will stay the way it is.

14 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Oh it’s raining , superb. Sitting next to an open door with lovely, lovely cool fresh air blowing in. Pussy is sat out in it, think he wonders what it is !

Heavy rain here during the night and it's been on and off all day.  Freshened everything up.  😁

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Hit 42.7C at 3:00 pm and conditions deteriorating with a State of Emergency declared for the ACT.  

we had an open home at lunchtime today and one of the split systems packed up at 6.30 last night, so we grabbed a load of fans this morning.    Real estate guy looked like a beetroot when we got back about 2pm....he'd had 27 groups through in 45 minutes.  Just hoping for a cool change tonight but don't think we'll be getting much of one.

• Like 1

Just now, calNgary said:

Didnt check the temp but hot here in my part of SEQ today. We had a good day of rain last week but nothing since then. Its amazing how quick the grass comes back after a bit of rain.(i dont look forwards to the mowing though,lol)

Cal x

It was getting a bit parched here too but after good rainfall very recently everything has 'greened' up again.  It's amazing how quickly it happens.  Our horses (all old) were quite frisky in the cool wet weather.  They loved it.  😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have had rain for about 3 days now, most days its dry and the downpour starts of an evening, lots of flash flooding but nothing major as yet. Its certainly filled a lot of peoples water tanks up and i believe in NSW most fires will be out by tomorrow thanks to the rain.

Cal x