Toots

On 09/08/2018 at 22:39, Cerberus1 said:

Local dam is looking a bit sad after weeks / months? of negligible rain, dam level currently at 5%.

20180808_095417.jpg

Last of the water dried up recently, completely empty now, water should extend to the tree line way in the distance on the horizon, sad state of affairs.

20191206_152934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Cerberus1 said:

Last of the water dried up recently, completely empty now, water should extend to the tree line way in the distance on the horizon, sad state of affairs.

20191206_152934.jpg

That's shocking!  😥     How far from you is that fire?  Is it causing you worry?

42 minutes ago, Cerberus1 said:

42.3 today, which for this area, is the hottest December day on record.

Still, at least the coming week is marginally cooler

😯   Blimey,   those temperatures look horrendous to me.  (25 is about my max. tolerance. )   Do you have a spare room for Parley to stay?  He's complaining he's cold in Melbourne.  😉

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Bobj said:

The weather chappie on channel 7said we would get cooler breezes from the SE...26C at 4 am and 33 at noon in downtown Ball Bay and 63% humidity. 
Cheers, Bobj.

Where are you on the map Bob?  I think you are in the "no heatwave" part.

Here in Devonport our warmest day is Thursday when it is forecast 26C   .....................  15 overnight.  I like cool nights -  always sleep far better than during warm nights.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Where are you on the map Bob?  I think you are in the "no heatwave" part.

Here in Devonport our warmest day is Thursday when it is forecast 26C   .....................  15 overnight.  I like cool nights -  always sleep far better than during warm nights.

Whitsunday Region, well, an hour-south (130 km) and 50 km NW of Mackay,  no heatwave ? Dunno about that.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Bobj said:

Three days of rain just north of the Mackay  area, totalling just over 210mm, or, 8.3”, mostly good soaking rain, with negligible run off.

Cheers, Bobj. 

Excellent news, Bobj,  that somewhere in Oz is getting the rainfall it needs.  Just hope now that it extends to all the others so badly in need.

48 minutes ago, Skani said:

Excellent news, Bobj,  that somewhere in Oz is getting the rainfall it needs.  Just hope now that it extends to all the others so badly in need.

Thanks, @Skani. The sad thing is that most of the cane cockies have irrigation, so a great deal of the rain is not as beneficial as it would be if it fell another 50 km inland. It will, however benefit the city of Mackay in adding to the Pioneer River Dam, the main source of town water.  the main fact is, though, the major cloudbursts were off the coast and around the Whitsundays...The cow cockies further inland are the ones in need of a good rainfall.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

Just been talking to one of my old co-workers in Sydney asking how she was doing with the heat and the smoke.  Not so good she said and today it reached 46C in the Sydney suburb of Liverpool.  😱   It is 33C there now (almost 10 pm).  Horrible.

Edited by Toots

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

Just been talking to one of my old co-workers in Sydney asking how she was doing with the heat and the smoke.  Not so good she said and today it reached 46C in the Sydney suburb of Liverpool.  😱  

48.9 in Penrith, not far from Liverpool  

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Bulya said:

48.9 in Penrith, not far from Liverpool  

We reached 20C yesterday and we had an afternoon shower of rain.  Those mainland temperatures are awful.  The years we lived in Sydney we never saw temps like this year.  

58 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Only in Melbourne - we have a heater and a fan next to each other. Today is heater day, yesterday was fan day.  Aaaargh.

44 yesterday, 21.7 today.  Much nicer temp wise at Summernats, but the air quality was far worse 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Toots said:

Hope you had your car in the garage to escape hail damage @Quoll  Hail also hit Melbourne.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-20/hail-storm-in-canberra-damages-cars-smashes-windows/11882472

Fortunately haven’t got a car! We borrowed one of the DS’ but we were lucky that both of them were ok! I had been walking up Mt Ainslie and could see it coming like a bloody juggernaut and I made it into the War Memorial coffee shop with just 30 seconds of soaking. I wonder what all the poor devils on Mt Ainslie fared - there was a constant stream of them going up as I was racing down! No shelter up there at all! It was a ripper!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Fortunately haven’t got a car! We borrowed one of the DS’ but we were lucky that both of them were ok! I had been walking up Mt Ainslie and could see it coming like a bloody juggernaut and I made it into the War Memorial coffee shop with just 30 seconds of soaking. I wonder what all the poor devils on Mt Ainslie fared - there was a constant stream of them going up as I was racing down! No shelter up there at all! It was a ripper!

Catastrophic damage everywhere.  We were very lucky, but I’m not so sure our air-con hasn’t been damaged more than I thought.