Toots

4 minutes ago, Jay2016 said:

9degC in Hornchurch Essex UK. So 30 sounds great but I've heard it is relentless heat toooooo much in Oz and not as nice as it sounds

It's not so much that it's relentless, it's the level of humidity that's the killer.  30 degrees in Adelaide would be lovely because it's a dry heat.  30 degrees in Sydney or Brisbane and I'd be hiding in the air conditoining because it feels so unpleasant.   Of course, in both you'd get severe sunburn if you went out without 50+ sunscreen, hat etc.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jay2016 said:

9degC in Hornchurch Essex UK. So 30 sounds great but I've heard it is relentless heat toooooo much in Oz and not as nice as it sounds

Why do you think it’s ‘relentless heat’?.  It was -9C last winter and on top of that the weather varies a lot between each state/territory. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

It's not so much that it's relentless, it's the level of humidity that's the killer.  30 degrees in Adelaide would be lovely because it's a dry heat.  30 degrees in Sydney or Brisbane and I'd be hiding in the air conditoining because it feels so unpleasant.   Of course, in both you'd get severe sunburn if you went out without 50+ sunscreen, hat etc.

It is certainly not for everyone.  I am sitting now on my deck (near Brisbane) and it is 32C.  There is a pleasant breeze and it is not very humid simply because we have had little or no rain this month......and not a single thunderstorm of note, unusually.

I wouldn’t live here without effective aircon though.  I don’t use it all the time but short bursts in the late afternoon to bring the temperature down indoors.  Then when the sun is down open up doors and windows and use a couple of fans too.

Unless I am on the golf course or umpiring cricket matches I rarely spend time in the sun in summertime between 9am and 4pm as it gets uncomfortable but the shade temperature suits me fine.

18 hours ago, Jay2016 said:

So 30 sounds great but I've heard it is relentless heat toooooo much in Oz and not as nice as it sounds

There's no such thing as standard "Oz" weather - it can vary tremendously in different parts of the (very large) country.

This December's average max where I live has been 22.  Even I - who hate the heat! - can't complain about that.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Skani said:

There's no such thing as standard "Oz" weather - it can vary tremendously in different parts of the (very large) country.

This December's average max where I live has been 22.  Even I - who hate the heat! - can't complain about that.  

It all depends where you live in Australia - it is a very big place.  You can go from a tropical climate up north or to a far cooler climate in Tasmania.  Like you Skani, I really dislike heat especially when it drags on for days or even weeks.  That's us though - many people love the hot weather.  

2 hours ago, Skani said:

However, there's no denying the vast majority of the continent is far hotter than anywhere in the UK and a lot of Europe.  Take a look at the map showing summer temperatures (attached).

Of course the biggest difference is in UV levels which is what causes skin cancer).  In the UK, it rarely gets above 8 even on the hottest day in summer.  In Australia, most of the continent is above that all summer long. 

Australian-UVR-Levels-In-Summer.png

p50-December-February.png

Edited by Marisawright

However, there's no denying the vast majority of the continent is far hotter than anywhere in the UK and a lot of Europe.  Take a look at the map showing summer temperatures (attached).
Of course the biggest difference is in UV levels which is what causes skin cancer).  In the UK, it rarely gets above 8 even on the hottest day in summer.  In Australia, most of the continent is above that all summer long. 

Australian-UVR-Levels-In-Summer.png.b33c29419c8769de7d4268814fe247cd.png
p50-December-February.png.aa0b8e91d4182b5e491322cd4bce3ae4.png

Pure curiosity; why do Cairns and Mackay have lower temperatures than the surrounding countryside?

1 hour ago, ABG said:

Pure curiosity; why do Cairns and Mackay have lower temperatures than the surrounding countryside?

Also find it odd that Hobart can be 10 degrees warmer than Devonport.  Both on the coast and Hobart is further south so you would think it would be cooler there.

19 hours ago, Toots said:

Also find it odd that Hobart can be 10 degrees warmer than Devonport.  Both on the coast and Hobart is further south so you would think it would be cooler there.

Warm air coming from the north or northwest  is cooled somewhat by the sea by the time it hits Devonport....but then absorbs more heat  from the land  as it moves south.  Likewise, southerlies are coldest in the south of the island but are also moderated (a little) by warmth from the land as they move north.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oooh Adelaide!!!? Now there's a place that's not been on my radar. I really fancied Sunshine Coast but no jobs for me alas and even Brisbane, as better as the London (ish) commute would be, its not tempted me to swop. I live in London (on the very edge to be fair) but never have I commuted in and I think no pay rise would ever convince me either so I never did swop the Aircon drive to work (nicely paid but stressful for a good company) for a "better" climate longer hours much less pay Oz life! More to life than work I suppose however I guess the pull wasn't strong enough....yet. apologize for my ramblings.

It is certainly not for everyone.  I am sitting now on my deck (near Brisbane) and it is 32C.  There is a pleasant breeze and it is not very humid simply because we have had little or no rain this month......and not a single thunderstorm of note, unusually.
I wouldn’t live here without effective aircon though.  I don’t use it all the time but short bursts in the late afternoon to bring the temperature down indoors.  Then when the sun is down open up doors and windows and use a couple of fans too.
Unless I am on the golf course or umpiring cricket matches I rarely spend time in the sun in summertime between 9am and 4pm as it gets uncomfortable but the shade temperature suits me fine.

When I stayed in Brisbane (albeit during the winter July 18 and it was generally cold) I was told by my hosts how in summer the sun goes down the time you get home from work GREAT!! Then the mossies come out to play, so by all means open the doors turn on the fans, save the bankruptcy of the Aircon BUT make sure those screen doors are shut tight! If you're into gardening then you have one hour at 4am to do it better the sun peaks the skin from your body (I guess that's why I noticed lovely huge houses with tiny tiny gardens) then it's Scorchio by 5/6am but good to get outside before work if you can. Though alas not near a beach (my preference) hence why swooping London/Essex for Brisbane never quite made it off the ground. London to sunshine coast or gold coast.... Now that could work lol if there was work for an accountant type. My Ex has made it with though!! having recently gained her citizenship and moved from Brisbane to sunshine coast (after years of trying to get to sunshine coast at weekends along with everyone else! And getting stuck in the carpark of the M1 I think) she's now renting up on paradise and will flip houses with her inheritance..... That's living the dream. Apologies for my ramblings

Well, the on and off cyclone Penny gave us 113 mm rain and wind gusts to 60 kms. The ex cyclone is hovering over the Whitsundays and still raining along the coast. We didn’t get any damage, save for a few leaves and twigs.

Just hope the farmers out west get some rain.

Cheers, Bobj.